Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

Looks fine to me.

I don’t care about motion cadence, bcz I can’t see it unless shutter angle is off by a lot - and it’s impossible to judge on 99% of monitors and televisions anyhow, ‘cause they’re not true 24p anyhow. hehe

That said, I like me some slo mo.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, A_Urquhart said:

It's entitled 'Lowlight' so wasn't shot to judge motion cadence.

Saying that, there are plenty of shots in there that aren't slow and they look good to me.

Well that may be true,  but I'm sure everyone is also interested in highlight roll off, skin tones,  dynamic range, colors... as well as looking out for the infamous black sun.  

I've already decided to purchase this camera... but always nice to see footage while waiting the next few weeks to months for the cameras to start shipping.

23 minutes ago, seanzzxx said:

That lowlight footage still has way too much midtone detail for my taste (look at her pores), but that's something that's adjustable in post with this much data. It's just a shame they haven't managed to get it like that 'out of camera'. Still a great deal though.

According to the description, he added midtone detail.
Also, RAW looks quite harsh out of this camera and has moire as well as aliasing. ProRes looks way cleaner.

33 minutes ago, deezid said:

According to the description, he added midtone detail.
Also, RAW looks quite harsh out of this camera and has moire as well as aliasing. ProRes looks way cleaner.

I don't know if he added midtone detail ... sounds more like he raised the level of the midtones from that description?

1 hour ago, seanzzxx said:

That lowlight footage still has way too much midtone detail for my taste (look at her pores), but that's something that's adjustable in post with this much data. It's just a shame they haven't managed to get it like that 'out of camera'. Still a great deal though.

Is there a fast way to do this in resolve, like with a slider, and not masking shit out? If so how?

You could qualify the face, add a tiny bit of blur and then add some grain to the whole picture - that's most succesful in my limited experience. You could of course just add a fraction of blur to the whole image and then you wouldn't have to add the masking step, but 1) qualifying (maybe add a large mask) a face is super easy and quick, and 2) without a qualifier it will probably look less subtle because it affects the whole image.

EDIT: If other people have tips and tricks for making footage less sharp and more 'creamy' I'd love to know it, always looking for that with non-Ursa footage.

23 minutes ago, seanzzxx said:

I personally think most diffusion filters look kinda cheesy (especially the highlight bloom), would you have any good tips?

There are different types with different looks. The popular 'black pro mist' has some bloom and contrast reduction. But the Tiffen digital diffusion with no contrast reduction or bloom, and the ultra contrast is no diffusion, just contrast reduction, no bloom. The Tiffen hdfx combines those last two for both diffusion and contrast reduction without bloom. There are of course many more options but those are the ones I currently use. 

My favourite (for now) is a Tiffen HDTV (sometimes called hdfx) at 1/2 strength. I use it on Nikon ais lenses for when a softer filmy look is what I'm after. 

I just used one on a Fuji xh1 and (mostly) Nikon ais 35mm 1.4 on a speed booster for part of a short film. I'll see if I can get a screen grab together

So I just got some C.Fast 2.0 cards - I want to be able to record ProRes HQ, so even if Braw can go straight to SDs I needed these anyway... 

Anyway, a while ago I asked if C.Fast 2.0 cards can be read by C.fast 1.0 readers. It turns out they can! Because of this, I imagine then that C.Fast 1.0 cards can be used in this camera for lower bitrate recordings and possibly Braw too.

So for those of you, like me, who have the Atomos Ninja Star, dig 'em out, stick the card in the P4K and forget about it, have it ready for emergencies!

Also, for those wondering, here's a speedtest of the Integral Ultima proX2 CFast 2.0 card.

On the sticker, it says 'up to 550mb/s read 540mb/s write' so either they've over estimated or my Atomos CFast reader is creating a bottleneck. It's a USB 3.0 reader. Either way though, I can still get those ProRes HQ recordings in 60fps, so I'm happy.

DiskSpeedTest.thumb.png.6234340c79a00cd4e1ce62df0d01aa58.png

• Super Members

I've got one of these on order

61YmstT5IyL._SL1000_.thumb.jpg.9f31a83c8be7cfc2e6ffddb26265288f.jpg

The Cfast card and the SSD can be read and written to simultaneously so its a good solution for archiving and cheap at about £15.

I'm going to use this as part of a DIY portable standalone field copy device that I mentioned a while ago.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0777958WY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_dp_95LOBbR957CN5