Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 minutes ago, Dan Wake said:

thx a lot for the info. may you tell me also which is it the highest clean iso please? and do you think is a good camera?

Well we really haven't seen a Lot of footage out of it yet, and no real camera tests. So I am not making a judgement on it yet. But for 1300 bucks I don't see how anyone can go wrong. It has pretty much everything you need to get the job done. And with this new Raw announcement, that is pretty huge for it down the road.\

As to High ISO I would guess 6400 tops maybe for a pretty clean output? But that is pretty damn good for a BM camera!

I also found this comparison with the GH5s on Reddit.

MAX RESOLUTION & FRAME RATES
Pocket Cinema 4K: 4096 x 2160/60p
Panasonic GH5S: 4096 x 2160/60p

CODECS
Pocket Cinema 4K: 12-bit CinemaDNG, 10-bit ProRes 4:2:2 HQ
Panasonic GH5S: H.264, H.265, AVCHD Progressive; 10-bit ProRes 4:2:2 (externally)

MAX BIT RATES
Pocket Cinema 4K: 270Mbps
Panasonic GH5S: 400Mbps

ISO
Pocket Cinema 4K: Dual native ISO; 25,600 max ISO
Panasonic GH5S: Dual native ISO (400, 2,500); 160 – 51,200 (80 – 204,800 expanded)

RECORDING MEDIA
Pocket Cinema 4K: SD & CFast plus USB-C port for recording to external drives
Panasonic GH5S: Dual SD card slots

AUDIO
Pocket Cinema 4K: mini XLR input w/ phantom power; 3.5mm mic jack, built-in stereo mic
Panasonic GH5S: 3.5mm mic jack; built-in stereo mic

OUTPUTS
Pocket Cinema 4K: HDMI for lossless CinemaDNG RAW
Panasonic GH5S: HDMI for 4:2:2 10-bit 4K/60p

DISPLAY
Pocket Cinema 4K: fixed 5-inch touch screen
Panasonic GH5S: free-angle 3.2-inch touch screen

WEIGHT
Pocket Cinema 4K: N/A
Panasonic GH5S: 1.46 pounds

PRICE
Pocket Cinema 4K: $1,295
Panasonic GH5S: $2,500

29 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Well we really haven't seen a Lot of footage out of it yet, and no real camera tests. So I am not making a judgement on it yet. But for 1300 bucks I don't see how anyone can go wrong. It has pretty much everything you need to get the job done. And with this new Raw announcement, that is pretty huge for it down the road.\

As to High ISO I would guess 6400 tops maybe for a pretty clean output? But that is pretty damn good for a BM camera!

cut

thx a lot! does the pocket 4k record 10-bit ProRes 4:2:2 HQ also at 60p?

41 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

MAX BIT RATES

This is incorrect. Whoever put this together was not using apples and oranges.

BM's specs are in MegaBytes, Panny's are in Megabits. So, you could say that the P4K is 270 MB/s (actually 272) and GH5s is 50 MB/s, or P4K is 2,176 Mb/s and GH5s is 400 Mb/s. 

Also of note, BM uses an FPS of 30. Not sure why they do this. Is this standard? Not sure what Panny uses. Anyway, since many of us are shooting 24 fps the data rates are 20% lower. So with any of BM's data rate specs multiply by .8 for it's 24p equiv data rate. So 272 MB/s would actually be 218 MB/s (then multiply by 8 for it's Megabit equiv --- 1,744 Mb/s). (Use .83 for 25p).

For comparison, BM's DCI 4K Prores LT runs at 43.7 MB/s compared to GH5s 50. So pretty similar.

I preordered P4K at HOTROD on 30 august and they answered me now about my order:

"We spoke to both Distribution and Blackmagic in the US this morning and there is still no confirmed release date. You are currently 58 on our preorder list, but we have no idea how many cameras Blackmagic will ship in the first batch. We have ordered plenty of cameras to cover all of our preorders if they ship our full order"

2 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I also found this comparison with the GH5s on Reddit.

MAX RESOLUTION & FRAME RATES
Pocket Cinema 4K: 4096 x 2160/60p
Panasonic GH5S: 4096 x 2160/60p

CODECS
Pocket Cinema 4K: 12-bit CinemaDNG, 10-bit ProRes 4:2:2 HQ
Panasonic GH5S: H.264, H.265, AVCHD Progressive; 10-bit ProRes 4:2:2 (externally)

MAX BIT RATES

ISO
Pocket Cinema 4K: Dual native ISO; 25,600 max ISO
Panasonic GH5S: Dual native ISO (400, 2,500); 160 – 51,200 (80 – 204,800 expanded)

RECORDING MEDIA
Pocket Cinema 4K: SD & CFast plus USB-C port for recording to external drives
Panasonic GH5S: Dual SD card slots

AUDIO
Pocket Cinema 4K: mini XLR input w/ phantom power; 3.5mm mic jack, built-in stereo mic
Panasonic GH5S: 3.5mm mic jack; built-in stereo mic

OUTPUTS
Pocket Cinema 4K: HDMI for lossless CinemaDNG RAW
Panasonic GH5S: HDMI for 4:2:2 10-bit 4K/60p

DISPLAY
Pocket Cinema 4K: fixed 5-inch touch screen
Panasonic GH5S: free-angle 3.2-inch touch screen

WEIGHT
Pocket Cinema 4K: N/A
Panasonic GH5S: 1.46 pounds

PRICE
Pocket Cinema 4K: $1,295
Panasonic GH5S: $2,500

BONUS FEATURE

Pocket Cinema 4K : FREE  Davinci Resolve 

1 hour ago, Snuff said:

I preordered P4K at HOTROD on 30 august and they answered me now about my order:

"We spoke to both Distribution and Blackmagic in the US this morning and there is still no confirmed release date. You are currently 58 on our preorder list, but we have no idea how many cameras Blackmagic will ship in the first batch. We have ordered plenty of cameras to cover all of our preorders if they ship our full order"

I also pre-ordered through HOTROD the day of BMD's NAB announcement.

I'm 1st on their list, and that is the same feedback I received from them on the ship date.

That chart only shows max frame rates, and we already know 120 is windowed. 

I think even at 24/25/30/50/60 it's still going to stay 'windowed' though, because even Ultra HD is. Essentially it's just pillar boxing, but the camera crops the black bars for you, instead of you cropping a DCI image to 16:9 later.

4 hours ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

Think it might be a no after all - spec sheet on website doesn't have 3k anamorphic mode on it.

Only the mini pro 4.6k has that mode ATM! Maybe something they might add in a future firmware update - they added loads of improvements via updates on the last Pocket, so if people shout enough this might be there too.

Everyone who shoots anamorphic start shouting! I already have.

i presume you all got the black magic raw mailout  a couple of days ago if not here is some thing to read while we wait i just thought i put it out for you guys to have a look at

Grant Petty <mailout@blackmagicdesign.com>

14 Sep. at 8:40 pm

Hi,image.thumb.png.e9ce905fdb774ea1ff448f4526fa1d85.png

I wanted to email you to give you an update on our new Blackmagic RAW file format that’s been made available today for our URSA Mini Pro cameras and DaVinci Resolve.

What is Blackmagic RAW

Blackmagic RAW is a modern codec we designed as a replacement for both RAW and video codecs, because we wanted it to be very easy to use, very fast and much higher quality.

We have a video that explains all about Blackmagic RAW if you would
 like to watch it.

Faster and More Intelligent

Blackmagic RAW is much more intelligent than simple RAW container formats like the CinemaDNG format we have used in the past, because it understands the characteristics of the image sensor and the camera’s color science. This means we get much more cinematic images and the quality is much better for smaller file sizes.

Another big feature of Blackmagic RAW is how it's designed. We have done a partial de-mosaic in the camera, so that part of the processing pipeline has been hardware accelerated by the camera itself. This means Blackmagic RAW does not load up the software with lots of processing and so the result is incredibly fast playback and faster rendering.

You also get total control over RAW settings such as ISO, white balance, exposure, contrast, saturation and custom color spaces. Blackmagic RAW also includes extensive metadata support including user customizable sidecar metadata files, plus GPU and CPU acceleration, new Blackmagic Design Generation 4 Color Science, different encoding options for constant quality or constant bitrate and more.

Modern RAW Format

We designed Blackmagic RAW to be a replacement for both video and RAW formats. It’s really dramatically better than video codecs because the images don't suffer from the 4:2:2 video filtering. Plus compressing video is much more noticeable as image artifacts. But Blackmagic RAW is also better than other RAW formats such as CinemaDNG because it's a single file, is hardware accelerated by the camera so it's much faster, you also have all the color detail and you get full RAW adjustments.

Powerful Metadata

When it comes to metadata, Blackmagic RAW can embed metadata into the file itself, as well as add sidecar files that means users can add their own metadata. A good example of how this works, is you could record to Blackmagic RAW with camera settings, however when you do RAW adjustments in DaVinci Resolve, you can save that into the sidecar file
 and all other software that reads the files will see those changes.

Where this is really powerful is when working in video gamma. If you select video gamma in the URSA Mini Pro camera, you will see video gamma if you edit the files. But it’s only the metadata in the file that’s telling the software that the files are video gamma. Underneath they are always film gamma. So if you ever want to color grade the images, you don't get clipped whites and blacks, and all that film dynamic range is there. When you pull up the blacks, or pull down the whites, all that detail will just appear!

Developer SDK Library

The good news is it’s easy to add Blackmagic RAW support into any software because we have bundled up all the downstream software processing into a single software library that's free for developers. This library is available on Mac, Windows and Linux and it means all the complexity of using Blackmagic RAW has been handled and reading sidecar files, setting RAW parameters and all the color science is included.

This ensures you get consistent images between different software applications and across operating system platforms. DaVinci Resolve 15.1 also uses this library so any RAW settings changed in DaVinci Resolve will be seen by other software. We have also built a simple app called Blackmagic RAW Player that lets you review Blackmagic RAW files.

Cost and Availability

The good news is this update is free of charge. If you own a Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro camera then you can download a public beta for your camera that adds Blackmagic RAW and it also upgrades your camera to Generation 4 Color Science.

So you can start shooting in Blackmagic RAW immediately, we are also releasing a new version of DaVinci Resolve 15.1 today. This release has several new features, but most importantly, it includes support for Blackmagic RAW.

If you would like to play with some Blackmagic RAW sample files,
 we have posted some camera original files on our web site. Please go to www.blackmagicdesign.com and select the URSA Mini Pro product page. You will see a new Blackmagic RAW tab that includes extra information, however on this page we have these camera original files to download.

You can also download the Blackmagic RAW Player from this page and it lets you play the files. Perhaps you can download DaVinci Resolve and do some test color grades on the files. You will be able to go to the camera tab in the primary color corrector area and see the RAW settings. You can even save sidecar files.

If you want to add Blackmagic RAW support to your own software, the Blackmagic RAW Developer SDK is also available on this page and it includes sample code so you can see how to use the library.

Please check out our web site for more information. I am personally very excited by Blackmagic RAW and the feedback from the beta testers has been incredible. I was playing some Blackmagic RAW clips yesterday and then realized I was playing them from an old USB mechanical hard disk. I cannot play 4K video files off this disk, but I could play 4.6K Blackmagic RAW files perfectly. It’s quite amazing how good the pictures look at small file sizes. It’s very exciting.

I hope this gives you a good update on what Blackmagic RAW is and how it works. We look forward to discovering what you can do with it!

Regards