Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

After the Magic Lantern Hacks producing 14-Bit RAW on various Canon Cameras, I am suddenly wondering whether the BMPCC4k is also capable of producing 14-bit RAW.

The Sensor (if of the same type as in the GH5s) is clearly capable of it. The only limitations may be processor or pipeline (wonder what the bitrate and other differences would be) related. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Keep up the great work man. I've been following your site for years and the knowledge that you share is always appreciated. People love to get the best out of people cause they're bored. Don't let it bring you down. People like us keep tuning cause the work speaks for itself. Some of us who make a living and get paid to shoot and edit everyday and sometimes we get a little extra money. Not a lot, but we benefit from your knowledge and articles cause they'll steer us in the right direction and then show our support by buying a lut or two!

There's always a lot of noise and you know what, it freaking sucks that they didn't extend you the courtesy in your own backyard. They totally botched that and goes to show that they don't know who they need to cater to. I trust the folk in this group and you bet your ass that if the BMPCC 4K was worth it's weight in salt, I would invest in the system and upgrade to the big boy cam and their ecosystem. Given their history, they probably won't start shipping til next year... Keep on trucking and putting up the good fight!

42 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

BMD announce new Blackmagic RAW codec, are they taking on ProRes RAW?

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/nl/media/release/20180914-01

image.png.c9bb3db7e6769752afa757fbb48f83cf.png

EDIT: This is the menu from the 4.6k camera, so some of the resolution options won't apply to the P4K.

This Deserves a New Thread.

It seems to address 2 Huge things:

1. The ProRes RAW that Apple was attempting to push across all RAW shooting cameras (which has issues, since it doesn't have any specific flavours and only has a Wrapper for the Proprietory RAW from different camera manufacturers). Blackmagic seems to even show the fundamental flaws with that approach ("Blackmagic RAW is much more than a simple RAW container format. Its intelligent design actually understands the camera and the sensor."). 

2. Not enough Compression Options in RAW. Most RAW compressions weren't actually pushing RAW closer to manageable territory (ProRes and H.264 size). This new RAW codec seems to address that (Blackmagic RAW 3:1, 5:1, 8:1 and 12:1).

The only question is would it succeed without being open source for other camera manufacturers or only NLE support is good enough. 

andrew,

forget about that paycheck argument, and any "proof" about being a pro cinematographer or not. you can not measure this way.

i always worshipped your honest opinion, and an emotional outburst just proofs that there`s a human being behind all of this, that does not write reviews on his pocket calculator. admitting that you went a little over the top just underlines that.

another big plus for you.

the PR machinery has chewed up a lot of unbiased coverage these days and i never know wether all the praise was bought or is true. except on eoshd!

for me the latest canon coverage was the final nail in that coffin, how can anyone with a sound mind write something positive about this thing? well, you probably can if you`ve been to hawaii...

and what`s the use of that BM event (for us readers) without any attendee being allowed to shoot a single frame himself? what we as readers end up with is just a bunch of blog posts that basically read like the tec specs list of the camera, i could have gotten that info from BM`s website a lot easier... 

best,

wondo

Now I'm totally confused - RAW 12:1 sounds to me as oxymoron... 12x compression of uncompressed file after software decoding and hardware computing results in what - compression or uncompression, noncompressed compression or compressed noncompression? So now everything is the same RAW? Why than it is said that, in a case of need for better quality, it is better to shoot in, say, 4:1 than 12:1?

What a high traffic suspense soon to be expected with high quality codec everywhere, from 1:1 to 24:1 - I'll need a glossary to drive through it...

Moreover, and saddest thing, is that I have yet to master and fully utilize poor old ProRes HQ... :(

• Administrators

I entirely missed the 3K anamorphic mode. When did that creep in? Why is nobody reporting on it?

35 minutes ago, wondo said:

andrew,

forget about that paycheck argument, and any "proof" about being a pro cinematographer or not. you can not measure this way.

i always worshipped your honest opinion, and an emotional outburst just proofs that there`s a human being behind all of this, that does not write reviews on his pocket calculator. admitting that you went a little over the top just underlines that.

another big plus for you.

the PR machinery has chewed up a lot of unbiased coverage these days and i never know wether all the praise was bought or is true. except on eoshd!

for me the latest canon coverage was the final nail in that coffin, how can anyone with a sound mind write something positive about this thing? well, you probably can if you`ve been to hawaii...

and what`s the use of that BM event (for us readers) without any attendee being allowed to shoot a single frame himself? what we as readers end up with is just a bunch of blog posts that basically read like the tec specs list of the camera, i could have gotten that info from BM`s website a lot easier... 

best,

wondo

CHEERS!!

• Administrators
8 hours ago, joenyc said:

Just keep doing you, man!

The level to which brainless, artless social media whores have taken over representing creativity online is truly horrifying. Beyond shameful brand and corporate alignment, these folks have rendered the pursuit of art into a series of meaningless life hacks that give uncreative consumers the illusion of creativity. Want to be a great photographer? Strive for bokeh! Take long exposures of shorelines! Orange and teal everything! Lift those shadows to a mid-tone gray and vintagize your images by 30%! Consider these five tricks to make your photos look like [insert useless Instagram celebrity]! HDR it!

As with many dreamers, I used to believe that the internet would democratize the publication of art by empowering artists. It has—technically—done that I suppose, but what few considered until it was too late (for art, journalism, hell—the truth!) is that it would cheapen and destroy creativity by putting a good-enough facsimile within reach of any slob with a phone without them needing to actually learn the craft.

The good news is that cultural shifts come in waves that are eventually met with backlash. The hyper-shilling is already showing cracks and it’s fairly young. People in my country are witnessing the fatal outcome of celebrity worship via our presidential nightmare. I think we’re nearing a tipping point where authenticity will be highly valued again and I want folks like you to be around to reap the rewards! 

Very well considered post, great stuff Joe. I think the "hyper-shilling" is indeed showing cracks. A lot of the newcomers don't even know that it's against the law not to disclose a financial relationship with a company and that a 'relationship' could be as simple as having your flight paid for by Canon to go to Hawaii. The FTC is clamping down on sponsored content as well.

7 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

If the digital stabilization of the NX1 is good enough for you then you are in luck. All blackmagic cameras have it. Only caveat is that you have to apply it in post.

How is the stabilizer in resolve? I've always had mixed results with premiere warp. 

2 hours ago, DBounce said:

Well here’s a BIG YES!

Think it might be a no after all - spec sheet on website doesn't have 3k anamorphic mode on it.

Only the mini pro 4.6k has that mode ATM! Maybe something they might add in a future firmware update - they added loads of improvements via updates on the last Pocket, so if people shout enough this might be there too.