Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

The footage release has been weird/confusing. I think the footage looks great for a $1300 camera, and there are certain aspects about the image it produces that put it ahead of what's out there right now, but I haven't seen anything that makes me feel like it's a massive upgrade to what I'm already shooting with (GH5, G85 and LS300.) I don't really have the need for RAW though it'd be nice to have, but I might at most shoot 1 out of 3 projects in log so I imagine I'd shoot RAW even less. 

I'm interested to use it at least and to read/see some reviews. 

And I think one of the key reasons the footage hasn't gotten a lot of views is because you couldn't even embed a lot of the clips on forums, blog posts, etc. We're all kinda lazy ha ha. I know I tend to avoid clicking on YouTube links because it takes me away from my web browsing, whereas I'm more likely to check out an embedded video since it doesn't take me away from browsing. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
3 minutes ago, theriley25 said:

Because pros use cameras for a living... They have the ability to tell other users (enthusiast and pro alike) how it will operate in the field on a shoot since they depend on those cameras to put food on the table. 

Yes I understand that from first hand experience but in an unconventional way. If I didn't shoot or were quite shit at it, EOSHD wouldn't exist! I would be completely broke. No food on my table. No. My art videos are my indirect living and my blog is my direct living (Pro Color, guides).

So in that sense I am no different to you.

We're on the same page dude.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

@seanzzxx That is true. Blackmagic have their own forum as well, which is good on their part but also reduces support costs maybe?

I mean: if it does, that's great, right? Everything I've heard from Blackmagic support has been pretty excellent otherwise. They've definitely been way, way more accessible to me when I had an issue than, let's say, Sony has been.

1 hour ago, Jerome Chiu said:

That makes their choice of those who were given early access of their new cameras more, not less, mystifying, right?

Because they should've had a better feeling for their market, you mean? We should remember that their choices up until recently have been pretty conventional (all the official Blackmagic footage was shot by established DP's), and now the cameras are going out to a bunch of 'influencers' (yuk) it seems, with a focus on South-East Asia, which is a large potential market I imagine. Unexpectedly, some of the footage out of that corner has actually been some of the best yet, in my humble opinion (I'm talking about the 'Sunset' and 'Bubble Gum' videos).

9 minutes ago, Kieran said:

The iBong is in production as we speak ; )

That's what they meant by Liquid Retina! Well, if it doesn't make phone calls, I'm not buying it!

Look, Pros use Film, Red, Arri, Canon & Sony (in no particular order), they do not use BM cameras. They are not seen as reliable & they have had huge QC issues. I know all cameras have this, but for some reason BM hasn't really caught on in the Pro arena (Crash cams & JB don't count). I'm not being mean, because I bought the 1st Pocket & think it's great - should have bought their first 4k box too, as that really shone (in a properly light environment). These cameras are for people who haven't got the budgets to rent for projects & need to buy something cheap - it's got loads of flavours of ProRes (great) & RAW (no one uses RAW). They are not for Pros....

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, seanzzxx said:

I mean: if it does, that's great, right? Everything I've heard from Blackmagic support has been pretty excellent otherwise. They've definitely been way, way more accessible to me when I had an issue than, let's say, Sony has been.

Yeah it's great. I think things can be sorted out very quickly on a forum. Imagine all those angry people PHONING Blackmagic pro support instead over and over again. You sort a problem out once on the Forums and everyone else can benefit all at the same time.

If I ran a camera company I would 100% have a dedicated forum for the products and just be honest about having all the issues out in the open.

Because they should've had a better feeling for their market, you mean?

OK the aim with the K-pop guy is that content is going to come out of it.

So they won't necessarily be selling direct to his 300,000 subscribers but will have the tits and ass videos to sell the camera to US :)

I don't necessarily agree it's a good strategy and think it's tacky when you could have someone like Darren Aronofsky use one instead.

But taste is a pretty personally thing.

We should remember that their choices up until recently have been pretty conventional (all the official Blackmagic footage was shot by established DP's), and now the cameras are going out to a bunch of 'influencers' (yuk)

Yuk sums it up LOL.

it seems, with a focus on South-East Asia, which is a large potential market I imagine. Unexpectedly, some of the footage out of that corner has actually been some of the best yet, in my humble opinion (I'm talking about the 'Sunset' and 'Bubble Gum' videos).

I think stuff has gone out world-wide, tons of demo cameras seeded to influencers.

We didn't get one here, and I think that is a miss.

PS Don't ever become a psychologist @Kieran. LOL.

5 minutes ago, seanzzxx said:

Because they should've had a better feeling for their market, you mean?  [snip]

Exactly; and it isn't only Cinema5D over Andrew Reid, it's also Cinema5D over Philip Bloom (who lives in London, AFAIK). We've known for ages that subscriber count doesn't count, nor does view count; what counts is the number of buyer decisions positively influenced by practitioners like Andrew Reid and Philip Bloom, who both have large and trusting followings. Both speak their minds, but that hasn't stopped, e.g., Kinefinity from asking Bloom to test their new cameras, and this has been key to Kinefinity's becoming a presence in this very competitive market.

15 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yes exactly. Surely me and Philip together, have a much larger reach to GH5 / Pocket users, than Nino/Johnnie? Did Cinema5D even write any Blackmagic Pocket camera articles prior to this? It is all cine lenses, audio boxes, cages, pro cameras.

@Andrew Reid you are assuming that matters to the people making the decisions. For all you know, they could have pulled names out of a hat, or had an intern choose people based on whose work he/she liked!

Ever since discovering Andrew's EOSHD, I pretty much check it everyday to see what he has to say about all the related stuff. I think the world needs more people like Andrew who expresses his own opinion and makes his own brand of videos/films and doesn't need to be validated by the typical factors that people look to. For what it's worth, what I love is that Andrew seeks to be a balanced blend of the technical and the artistic, which is the road I have taken. I am a Technical Instructor by day in a Photography department at a university, and use all the expertise I learn and instruct on to see where my own creative intuition takes me in my spare time. For me, it beats chasing after funding, and I get to make what I'm into, without executives chipping in...it's just right for me, not saying it's right for everyone else. Anyway, don't stop Andrew, and props for being open, honest and a massive thanks to all the advice, help (from guides) and personal perspective on all things camera/video related!

So, IBC has started and BMD said they have an announcement regarding the P4K. Does anyone know when they have a conference or some stage time to make the announcement? Where could we watch it?

They say they're on track for Sept release, so I'm expecting them to  press the dispatch button during IBC. What are your thoughts? 

Let's finally put this on track please. Topic related as much as possible. Respecting who hosts us only fits it, as well. I am done to come here to read personal attacks addressed to each other. People must learn to respect the difference. All are entitled to take a respectful tone towards our own side included -- aka the boomerang effect. This is a camera forum. Not a battle field. No one earns anything to hurt anyone or someone as target. When we don't appreciate something or someone, the best is to save to ourselves. Keep it civil. No freedom of speech can justify that. Only common sense will overcome to extract a pretty decent overview as fair conclusion, whether serves us and our side whether not.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yes exactly. Surely me and Philip together, have a much larger reach to GH5 / Pocket users, than Nino/Johnnie? Did Cinema5D even write any Blackmagic Pocket camera articles prior to this? It is all cine lenses, audio boxes, cages, pro cameras.

Why does it matter if they have covered it in the past? They are well respected working DPs who could bring the pocket 4k to the pro market. Which is likely what BMD wants. I am just perplexed about why you dislike cinema5d so much. It seems personal and is becoming sort of an internet joke on other youtube channels. It makes me sad because I've benefited so much from your work. I've also benefitted from Nino and Johnnie. The biggest difference though isn't that they are "conventional pros" (That matters very little to me. I owe some of my success to your knowledge, insight, and point of view). There's a stark contrast in the level of professionalism displayed towards colleagues. 

You probably should have been invited to those events. I would have loved seeing your take! But bad mouthing other people who were invited won't help change that. 

• Administrators

It's a clash of personalities and philosophies. It does happen in life. Shit happens.

Johnnie puts a lot of emphasis on the STATUS of being a pro and not enough on the art-form.

Nino once met me in Berlin and half way through the chat he broke off for 10 minutes to answer a call. Businessman first and foremost, friend second.

They're not my colleagues, we don't work for the same company, and I am not out to please other bloggers who I don't respect. Only the ones I do respect. I care about my real life friends and readers

• Administrators
32 minutes ago, theriley25 said:

Why does it matter if they have covered it in the past? They are well respected working DPs who could bring the pocket 4k to the pro market. Which is likely what BMD wants.

It matters that they covered Blackmagic it in the past. The way the internet works is you cultivate an audience based on subjects.

The Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera is for the EOSHD crowd and the URSA is more in line for the Cinema5D audience. You only have to briefly glance at the front page of both sites to see that, don't you?!

Just now, Anaconda_ said:

Would they invite people to come and see it on the 19th Sept, if it'd already been released by then? They're also inviting people to come see the URSA Mini Pro too, so hopefully there's nothing in this, just another reason for them to mention the camera... 

That's not in the UK so not expecting to be invited.

I'm trying to move on from that and talk about the camera, and find out when they might be making an announcement.

Anyway, you kind of are already invited as it's an open invite, so if anyone is in the area or if you can grab plane ticket, you can go. Same as IBC or Photokina I guess. 

Let's progress?