Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

36 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

So this is his best work, a load of tits and ass.

3m views though, which gives you an idea of why he has a demo camera!

Well, that's not the original video, so he made the music video and not the remix, it actually has 24 million views. I will never claim to understand k-pop music videos, like this one where it looks like they have forgot to grade their log footage: 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
28 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

LOL.

Was that not already obvious to you from any everyday shoot with any camera? You suddenly learnt that useful info from this clip did you... Oh.. Ok.

Woah there cowboy.   Did I even reference you by name?  

If you thought that my comment applied to you that is a judgement you made on yourself, not one that I made.

And now you're trying to mock a very long term member (I had another account before even this one) who comes on your forum who is politely sharing opinions?

You're in no position to mock anyone with the temper tantrum you've just shown over the past few days young man.  

I haven't said anything up until now but If you want to be a smart assed dick you can get some in return.

I'm not far from Manchester myself and always thought I'd be open to future collaborations with people I met on this forum if it took my interest , but certain bitter attitudes cant be overcome.

• Administrators

I don't even think 300,000 subscribers mean jack shit if they are not there for camera news.

They are there for K-POP videos and don't care what camera those are shot on.

Even if he sells all his Cinema EOS or RED gear and uses the Pocket 4K on his future KPOP videos, one it might not be the right tool for the job, and two it would go out to a sea of disinterested non-camera people who are there for the music instead. He could put a link to the camera in the description and I suppose Blackmagic is expecting a sales hike that way? Hmm.

I don't understand this fascination camera companies have with pros and their amazing viewing figures.

If you are going to seed a K-POP audience, you better hope they are all filmmakers in need of RAW!

Otherwise you get what? 10,000 views, 90% of them disinterested wondering why they are watching a video full of giraffes and flamingos rather than tits and ass?

Blackmagic's strategy is flawed. I am sorry but it is. Very respectfully I am going to have to put my point to them when I next chat.

Shane Meadows has shot with Blackmagic cameras. At least give him a call? No?

respect andrew! it takes a lot to admit to a mistake, even more so publicly! i know you get a lot of abuse for putting your honest opinion out there. amzing work over the years, please keep it up! i come here regularily for your opinion which is usually against the grain which i enjoy!

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

14,000 views.

Oops. See what happens when you take the sexy KPOP girls out a Youtube vid?! :)

You take the sexy ass wiggling out and what have you got... just a nerd with a new camera :)

Nothing against the guy, but I have no clue what Blackmagic are expecting from this strategy.

How many KPOP fans are there for the girls and music, and how many of his subscribers are interested in a Pocket 4K Camera?!

Whatever the cameras may be capable of in professional hands,  the company is marketing them to amateurs.  That's the basis of its volume sales,  which in turn makes the low price possible.

No offense to the shooter above, but I think BMD is offering footage which many people will look at and think, "I could do that".   Even the Brawley stuff was shot under highly restricted conditions.  It's not how he would light or block a dramatic or fashion shoot.

Give 'em credit:  this approach is more honest than usual.  A demo with production value far beyond the resources of likely buyers doesn't reveal an awful lot.

• Administrators

I am not slating the guy. K-pop videos are just not my artistic bent. I know it is the Trump-era and people are a little sensitive about criticism just like him. You can't seem to critique the work of someone these days without it coming across as you hating the living daylights of the person who made it. I certainly don't hate.

I just like to think objectively, that something like this from me, aimed at 800,000 camera users, would have been more useful and Blackmagic would have sold more units. But what the fuck do I know?

Maybe it needs more arses?

Andrew,

Do not get discouraged. Here's something to think about: Ying Yang. In all of humanity there has always been a philosophical battle between 2 ends, and we see this in all aspects of life. We see it when we talk Capitalism vs Communism, Private software vs Open Source, Linux vs Windows, Java vs native development, black vs white, religion vs atheism, good vs evil, sweet vs sour, etc.

And in journalism the same happens: Serious and objective people vs paid "promoters".

One thing I'll tell you is this: You are on the correct side of the fence, and you are the one who one dat before you die will be the one to have your head high, proud of your achievements, while the paid fellows will always live their lives with internal shame, knowing they sold their souls for a few dollars or a trip to Hawaii.

I know your road is much harder than the others, but guess what, you're not alone. There are a lot of us in the world (I went through the same thing you're going through, long story), and we back each other. You might not hear much from us, but we're here, listening and in amazement at your incredibly thoughtful review process.

So don't get discouraged. When you listen to so many people saying that you're wrong sometimes it gets to you, but you should never lose sight that it is them who are doing wrong.

And do note that I did not like much your article where you mention that you won't buy a BBCC 4K, but I understood why you wrote it (you're human, and sometimes things get too hard to bear and one explodes and lets things out). I actually will be one of those who appreciate those outburts, because it means you are human. And above all, an honest human.

• Administrators

Thank you. I am a bit discouraged I guess. It's hard to have every living day taken up by your obsession, when you just get a load of snide remarks thrown at you constantly on your own Facebook page and Forum, by trolls who are getting all these articles and useful tips straight out of my head and off my back. They'd have the shirt off my back as well I think.

Correction: response from Jun over at bmcuser.

Originally Posted by Taikonaut 

BTW I like your KPOP music video, a certain someone over at EOSHD pointed me to them. Can completely understand why you were chosen to test the camera.

Pidulgi (Jun Areia) About the Kpop Music Videos; Sorry if it's confusing but I didn't shot all those music videos myself. They are like 400 Music Videos on my channel. Most are six-figure projects from huge companies shot with Alexa and Master Primes with 100+ people teams. 
I just run a small independent label that releases original and remixed music production works. I have produced some of my own artists including music videos I directed and shot myself. Sometimes I am part of the team in some of the bigger Kpop music video projects but haven't possibly shot all that.

I was not chosen by Black Magic because of my social media or because I'm some top professional in the field. I believe I was chosen because I'm an average small business content creator that this camera appeals to. Naturally I put the Pocket 4k content on my Youtube channel because that's what I have. I think BM Asia is a separate thing from BM Europe and might approach marketing very differently choosing separately what to do with the first batch of the cameras. It's weird I got entangled in all that situation especially the personal attacks. I just shot some content and try to give valuable information to people by answering their questions as much as I can in this forum, my videos and some other groups. Everybody in those communities seem to be really grateful about it and I'm happy to see all the positive vibe and comments.

30 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Thank you. I am a bit discouraged I guess. It's hard to have every living day taken up by your obsession, when you just get a load of snide remarks thrown at you constantly on your own Facebook page and Forum, by trolls who are getting all these articles and useful tips straight out of my head and off my back. They'd have the shirt off my back as well I think.

Don't be : ) I can personally assure you Petty himself is aware of all this mess and past is only past from now on (E : -)

(PS. Forget it: arses are not your specialty! What else do you know? ; -)

Andrew,

Jun could also view your comments about him as snide. All because he got a camera, and you did not... It feels like you're jumping to critique all video's uploaded by someone with a Pocket 4K in another attempt to support your stance that BMD is giving cameras to the wrong people.

I remember a thread here, some time back where more than a few guys critiqued your color grade on one of your Canon videos, and you responded like you never thought you'd receive criticism.  You have threatened to quit this whole thing more than once, and people have always begged you to keep at it. People are here because they appreciate what you've created, but you pay way too much attention to the negative...  No one can argue the numbers your site gets, but your victim attitude isn't winning.

33 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I am not slating the guy. K-pop videos are just not my artistic bent. I know it is the Trump-era and people are a little sensitive about criticism just like him. You can't seem to critique the work of someone these days without it coming across as you hating the living daylights of the person who made it. I certainly don't hate.

I just like to think objectively, that something like this from me, aimed at 800,000 camera users, would have been more useful and Blackmagic would have sold more units. But what the fuck do I know?

Maybe it needs more arses?

I like your work. It really doesn't matter what BMD thinks is best for their marketing. Your work can stand on it's own merit, so don't waste time worrying about them. The footage from the new camera is ok. Nothing exceptionally special. At no point did I stop and say OMG... It's Fck!n amazing. Given the lack of AF and low resolution stills, it will remain a niche item.

32 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I am not slating the guy.....I know it is the Trump-era and people are a little sensitive about criticism just like him. You can't seem to critique the work of someone these days without it coming across as you hating the living daylights of the person who made it. I certainly don't hate.

This sort of attitude is starting to get on my tits - it's the internet, you post something & you take what comes (the good & the stuff you don't want to hear).

Digital Bolex footage really stands out as something special everytime & such a shame it all went belly up. There is a film on Netflix shot entirely on the DB - "Hashtag Horror" (sorry no symbol for hashtag on my keyboard - fucking macs, suppose apple don't want anyone going on twitter being mean to them!)

When is this camera coming out, so the real tantrums can begin - I need more entertainment on my days off!

10 minutes ago, DBounce said:

(...) The footage from the new camera is ok. Nothing exceptionally special. At no point did I stop and say OMG... It's Fck!n amazing. Given the lack of AF and low resolution stills, it will remain a niche item.

People are forgetting we are in 2018 now. Those times are gone... : )

It is much more than a 'niche item'...

The one everyone will have if not BMD users/clients yet.

Count on it ; -)

7 minutes ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

Digital Bolex footage really stands out as something special everytime & such a shame it all went belly up. There is a film on Netflix shot entirely on the DB - "Hashtag Horror" (sorry no symbol for hashtag on my keyboard - fucking macs, suppose apple don't want anyone going on twitter being mean to them!)

Try hitting 'alt' and '3' to get the #