Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

I am pretty unimpressed with the footage as well, it's not a good showcase for the camera. First problem is it seems to be shot like a stills shoot. I am sure in isolation some of the frames make nice photographs but as a video it doesn't hold up at all, there are no ideas or mood to it, or any purposeful camera moves or edits to support the content. Several shots underexpose the skin tones 2 or 3ev making her look about 20 years older, the handheld shots are wobbly and add nothing to the aesthetic, the tripod sections are shot like a stills shoot with the model trying to pose for stills, but the only difference is that the photographer has pressed the video button instead of the shutter release. Is this supposed to be an example of the "pro" approach to filmmaking? Is this supposed to be Blackmagic's strategy to put the camera ONLY in the hands of actual PROS rather than just reviewers? Because it's not speaking well for either their capabilities or the camera's capabilities.

I like to underexpose myself, because the most important thing for me is the mood. Well offcourse a shortfilm like the release of the C300 would be MUCH better marketing. But I liked this video of the vintage lens, and it does not look overly sharp. These are just quick test shots from the users, and not pieces of art that can stand on their own, So I am not bothered by the story or meaningfull moves, I am just looking at the image at this point. Stabilization at this point was not relevant for me, as its easy to stabilize this camera so I was not bothered with the handheld jitter. Nice to see how it performs handheld. A few pans couldnt hurt anybody though to see the rolling shutter. 

That video gave me a headache...! I don't need to slag it off, it speaks for itself.

Just don't know who BM are after with these films? BM certainly aren't a big camera company, so their market is firmly with really low budget filmmakers (the majority of people here?) but so far I'm distracted by the lack of a professional finish to some things that have been posted. The voice in my head keeps saying "why did you do that" etc. and that is distracting me from going WOW! Maybe that's the strategy, but why not give it to people who are going to stress test it to the max?

Then again, it's better than the last Pocket release - we had one short piece & then loads of people slagging it off once they got it into their hands on it. Just can't see the release of this thing being any different from any of their other camera releases - there will be problems & I'll be surprised if people don't dump it like the last pocket (the battery!?). I'm sure it'll be a good camera for some people, but the majority will not like it & run on to something else or something new.

The shakiness of the footage is because he had a Micro rigged next to it for a comparison video so he could go about matching and comparing the two for a later video, which I think is pretty cool. If you read the description of the video he admits that he had a hard time holding the camera steady because of how cumbersome the rig was.

The purpose of the Dreamcatcher footage was to show how closely the BMPCC4k footage could be graded to match the 'classic' BMD look of the original Pocket or Micro.  Personally I am glad that the shots are quite ordinary so that I can judge them properly.  If it was shot in slow motion at golden hour, it would look cinematic but then nearly everything shot in slow motion at golden hour looks cinematic anyway. The shooter had a Micro mounted on top of the BMPCC4K and that direct comparison footage is supposed to be coming sometime soon.

6 minutes ago, Dunjoye said:

So much salt clouded in people's responses. Funny how things change in a shot space of a week

Well I hoped to say it was only on the internet. But if you think about it, its in real life as well. As its allways been. Would be actually a good idea to bring up the next generation with a positive attitude and weed out the negative. If you look back to high school, its a popularity contest, I hated evevery minute of it. Sure teenagers are pumped up angry kids, but why take it out on each other, people should not care what clothes you wear, what music you listen too, your physical state or your medical state. And sure I have offered my right sheek too many times looking back at it, while I know it was a better idea just to knock their teeth in. So they actually learned a lesson, but that was not how I was raised.  

4 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Well I hoped to say it was only on the internet. But if you think about it, its in real life as well. As its allways been. Would be actually a good idea to bring up the next generation with a positive attitude and weed out the negative. If you look back to high school, its a popularity contest, I hated evevery minute of it. Sure teenagers are pumped up angry kids, but why take it out on each other, people should not care what clothes you wear, what music you listen too, your physical state or your medical state. And sure I have offered my right sheek too many times looking back at it, while I know it was a better idea just to knock their teeth in. So they actually learned a lesson, but that was not how I was raised.  

Survival of the fittest. Inborn trait from hell.

• Administrators

Maybe we should have a "critics" style blog post where we critique the pros who shoot this crap and maybe give them some tips. The official Nikon Z7 demo reel grade, the John Brawley model outcall sessions, the X-T3 60p stuff, let's help them so they can be better :)

6 minutes ago, Kieran said:

The purpose of the Dreamcatcher footage was to show how closely the BMPCC4k footage could be graded to match the 'classic' BMD look of the original Pocket or Micro.  Personally I am glad that the shots are quite ordinary so that I can judge them properly.  If it was shot in slow motion at golden hour, it would look cinematic but then nearly everything shot in slow motion at golden hour looks cinematic anyway. The shooter had a Micro mounted on top of the BMPCC4K and that direct comparison footage is supposed to be coming sometime soon.

OK, didn't read that, so might be interesting, but he could have just shot it twice - not as if he was making a narrative piece!  God forbid we get any slow-mo stuff!

3 minutes ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

OK, didn't read that, so might be interesting, but he could have just shot it twice - not as if he was making a narrative piece!  God forbid we get any slow-mo stuff!

Have you seen his previous one 'Bubble Gum'?  Plenty of slow-mo in there.

8 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Maybe we should have a "critics" style blog post where we critique the pros who shoot this crap and maybe give them some tips. The official Nikon Z7 demo reel grade, the John Brawley model outcall sessions, the X-T3 60p stuff, let's help them so they can be better :)

Some of us have shot professionally & if I had handed in shaky footage like that, I'd probably never get hired again - i've seen it happen,, a lot.

Would love to see someone hold an old school ENG on their shoulder for a whole day!

@Kieran yep, I did notice - still don't really like slow-mo - over used & doesn't really show off what a camera can do.

12 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Survival of the fittest. Inborn trait from hell.

Well that's not true. If it was inborn, toddlers would do the same and they love anything. They are molded by society, media, friends, parents into this. Its not even the bully's fault. 
Survival of the fittest would mean I could not win in a fight against them. And thats not true, I have kicked bully's asses who were 2 times as big as me. But the amount of shit I had to deal with afterwards is unbelievable (teachers, parents, students,...) so I changed my attitude and just let them be, so I was another victim of conformity and in my case for the worse looking back. So I am teaching my kids otherwise, if somebody picks on them, you slap them until there is no tomorrow! And they will get zero shit for me while doing so and I will protect them from the shit they get from the teachers/parents/school... And if my kids are bullying, they will get shit from me!

19 minutes ago, Kieran said:

Have you seen his previous one 'Bubble Gum'?  Plenty of slow-mo in there.

Please god no more slowmo. You can't watch any video that is not slowmo these days. Look at me slowmo walking in Iceland, look at me slowmo walking in asia,... Been guilty of that myself though. But it sure has peaked new levels these days.

20 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Well I sure as hell can't see how they are going to get a comparison to the BMPCC, or the Micro when the footage is shot in 4K LoL. If they really believe 1080p and 4K output can look equal, hmm.

Oh you can. Even matching 4K with SD - if you blur and then downscale footage of course. ?