Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, wolf33d said:

That’s what old fellas said when AF was invented for photography. Do most pros shoot MF in photography today? No they don’t. Does that mean they can’t handle a camera? No it doesn’t. 

I said the damn thing can’t focus: I meant by itself. I did not say I cannot do it. But let me assure you that manual focusing your camera while on a gimbal following a guy running on a mountain ridge is a PITA. When you tried DPAF and co for that kind of application there is no turning back. Stop thinking because it works for your application it works for all, and that if it does not work for other people's application it means they can’t handle it.

They have a multi tap-to-focus AF feature. Enough for a good part of us. Even though, I may concur full autofocus may end pretty useful. If some models have it, why not any new model to release too? The technology is out there.

After catching up on the subject I visited another site 

Vitaliy is commenting on a post from the guy that shot with the camera from bm 

as I said before I shoot on film but use the 5dm3 ML for lowlight inserts (which I read about on this site and would test this camera when out)

anyways this is what Vitaliy had to say:

“What exactly BM (Canon/Nikon) is doing that must be stopped? They handpick filmmakers, journalists, bloggers (this time filmmakers as you said) and send them early cameras. It is ok to send someone you choose early samples, but ONLY for internal feedback and testing. As soon as this people start posting various footage, their reviews, hands-ons, etc - well, this becomes bad. Intentionally or not by having such people pack company is able to get PR result that they want. But it is not objective result that society needs.

People in such packs know that is expected from them and know that if they do not deliver that is expected or write things that are far from expected - they are out of pack. And usually with no chance to go back.

Such firms behavior become worse and worse with each year. And can be observed not only in cameras.

Does such approach affect sales? Definitely.

What must be made? Before actual mass sales only company own promotion(!) videos/texts must be allowed, clearly marked as such. No benchmarks or comparisons must be allowed to be made by company or anyone else. If company so much want to provide free review samples, they all must be send to one address for storage and any reviewer since announcement to sales moment can apply for them. 3 days after sales start this samples will be sent to random people who applied.

Who fill be hurt? Well, big channels, big review sites, close pack members - who are information monopolies now due to early access. All other, including general public - will gain a lot.

Considering Andrew being unfit, not right filmmaker and such. Well, I think it is elitist view. Andrew's site and PV site actually appeared during the moment where such "not right filmmakers" actually made a lot of good for filmmaking society. Now you think that it is best to shut up this niche as this people due to their independency can actually sometimes tell or write things companies do not like. I am far from Andrew friend as everyone knows here. Yet BM company position here is position of quite big capitalist company acting against society and such must be stopped.”

but 208 pages for a camera?

11 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I am certainly not bigger than a camera company, or more important than Blackmagic and I think people may have seen the hysterics as a bit silly...

I can really appreciate that post, and identify with the grievances you raise.  I know how a drip drip of small slights can add up to a major frustration.  I also think you are right to strike out at the fraudulent and self-serving nature of the camera release world.  More power to you.

I'm glad also that this post is a bit self-reflective.  Like others I posted that your article was a bit of an own-goal - I was actually genuinely a bit worried for your state of well-being.

I hope you achieve great success in challenging some of these goings on in the industry - and I hope you learn some lessons from this that make you better equipped to do so!!!

You easily find out the honest company with respect to its customers: every declared parameter in the camera specification must be confirmed by a document confirming the declared parameters. This can be the results of production tests, any documents, test images, which justifies the declared characteristics. The company should be responsible for its words and give this information to the user before selling the camera.

45 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yes I have dug myself into a very silly hole.

I'll be the first to admit that.

A dignified and reflective response Andrew.

We all act small too often. Acting big is what we need more of.

My unsolicited advice: Delete the anti BM article - it doesn't reflect your intellect but, as you say above, it's the result of a perfect emotional storm.

I'd offer JB an olive branch privately - he's a good man and a valuable voice for any creative community.

A lot of your members look up to you and it's a good opportunity to show them the value of thoughtfulness.

IMHO.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

But I do feel the future of camera and tech journalism is at stake. In fact it may already be absolutely dead. And the most depressing thing of all is that the reader is fine, unawares, and on the most part notices no issue.

In some ways I agree, but consumers need to bear some responsibility. People don't use their damn brains nearly enough anymore, they are happy for someone else or a machine to do their thinking for them.

if you want a laugh read this.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-rtx-gpus-worth-the-money,37689.html

then watch this.

33 minutes ago, Jim Giberti said:

My unsolicited advice: Delete the anti BM article

You cant win here; then Andrew will be accused of trump-like behaviour, or having "lost". Maybe append a version of your post above to the end of it: or better use it as a starting point to reflect on when the personal and the passionate goes public. Sometimes you've got to externalise that shit, I can relate to that. 

14 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I think a lot of you (all of you?) come to this thread to learn more about the camera, so I'll save my lengthy apologies for a blog post.

It's not been my finest hour, but frustration will do that to a man.

Yeah but about the Only good thing about getting old is you can say shit and it doesn't matter. They either think you are crazy, or have Alzheimer's. Or if they think neither , who gives a shit. Fun times at times. So you have something down the road to look forward to. Ergo, it will get easier. ?

25 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I think a lot of you (all of you?) come to this thread to learn more about the camera, so I'll save my lengthy apologies for a blog post.

Regardless of how this topic went, and yes, frustration can do that to any of us I'll still be visiting your site often. I really do appreciate what you've built here. Thank you, Andrew.

59 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

We have all been there Andrew, it happens some times, but eventually we learn to manage it a little bit better.....anyway, I don´t see the need for a lengthy apology, if you think you made a mistake, a short apology is more than enough.....most of us are happy to read your comments in any kind of subject, specially when is related to film environment,

6 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

Isn't that basically what DJIs drones do now? They're pretty fun.

their auto exposure casues shimmer and flickering - you have to disable it - I was watching an episode of Chefs table on Netflix and they used some beautifully framed video of a Temple in South Korea - BUT they forgot to turn of auto exposure - which meant that treees had this weird shimmer going on in them. Shots were awesome otherwise.

6 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Honestly I thought you post was a bit non sense, But recognizing the mistake was a wise moved. I think you could have done more damage to Blackmagic by making a review focusing on the camera flaws (That I'm  sure will be a lot) instead of been personal about it. You are right is some of it but I think will be almost impossible change the system and the PR of those companies.  at the end of the date they are just protecting their brand.

7 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

We're all guilty of it man. Having outlets like this is awesome but it also allows us to immediately react without giving ourselves a little time to think things over.

I think most of what you said was very true and your frustrations were completely valid. So I hope you don't regret those things. You just gotta give yourself a little time to think things over sometimes so you can express that stuff more effectively. We all do, really! 

It might not have been your finest hour but your passion is appreciated man. 

I dunno man, those ISO 6400 shots at the end are pretty unbelievable.

I think at the end of the day, this camera, and most likely other BM cameras are made for the editor not necessarily the camera op. It's all about how you deal with the footage in post. That video was shot uncompressed RAW, so the look you're unimpressed by was created entirely by the colourist and editor.

Also, you can download the clip off the vimeo link: