Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
24 minutes ago, hugofilipe said:

A little offtopic but I havent found the answer for this anywhere.

It does record 4K cdng 60fps, if 30fps is 272MBps, 60fps is 544MBps.

Most CFast and SSD dont write at this speed, how will this work out?

What am I missing here?

I'm gonna take a guess and say it can only do 4k60p DNG at 3:1. Not even the atomos inferno can do 4k 60p to DNG

3 minutes ago, hugofilipe said:

It does, thats why I wonder how BM would do it with only one ssd or cfast. My hope was dual recording to CFast and SSD, but looks like it wont.

Yeah, that stinks. Maybe we'll get prores raw at least. It's no DNG, but it's pretty close 

To be honest, I think that John B has a point.  It really doesn't make sense for Blackmagic to give it's unreleased camera to reviewers.  It could hurt sales if there are issues.  Also, you can't get mad at John because you've kind of positioned yourself as a "blogger" / "reviewer".  In regards to his "butchered footage" comment... I mean... uuhhh... some of it was pretty bad. Blackmagic customers ARE entitled... Have you been on their forum lately??  The can 100% guarantee that the second the pocket 4k is released, a thread will be started called "Pocket 4K v2 requests".  Lastly, you're not promoting their camera.  You're doing your blogging duties by talking about the most anticipated camera of the year.   It does seemed rather presumptuous to think that they'd send you a camera because of that.  It sounds like you're mad that you don't get the credit/respect that you think you deserve.  This is life.  I think the biggest issue though, is that you are in a box now, it's a blogger/reviewer box.  If you want to be in a filmmaker/shooter box, changing that  is in your hands.

8 minutes ago, Diego Todu said:

This is life.  I think the biggest issue though, is that you are in a box now, it's a blogger/reviewer box.  If you want to be in a filmmaker/shooter box, changing that  is in your hands.

I understand the issue with the label but anyone who has been around here long enough knows Andrew can shoot.

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, Diego Todu said:

To be honest, I think that John B has a point.  It really doesn't make sense for Blackmagic to give it's unreleased camera to reviewers.

They did give the camera to reviewers. John was either wrong or lying.

You're doing your blogging duties by talking about the most anticipated camera of the year.

Correct. Just want to do my fucking job.

It does seemed rather presumptuous to think that they'd send you a camera because of that.

It only sounds presumptuous if you aren't aware that this thread alone has 380,000 views, and the blog a million since August, and that I have been covering 'pocket' cinema cameras of all varieties since 2010 with the GH1 and was the first blogger to embrace Blackmagic's cameras when they came out in 2012. If you followed EOSHD from 2013 onwards you'd understand why it is an injustice. It's hard to explain this without sounding rather big headed about it, but that's the truth.

It sounds like you're mad that you don't get the credit/respect that you think you deserve.  This is life.

Well, you won't get the camera reviews you deserve if you don't support an honest reviewer. That's life!

I think the biggest issue though, is that you are in a box now, it's a blogger/reviewer box.  If you want to be in a filmmaker/shooter box, changing that  is in your hands.

I don't care about being in the pro box with lots of dull clients and a day rate.

I make my own films and music videos. You clearly haven't been following EOSHD for long enough to realise it and it's a really off judgement you're making, and not a very nice one if I may say so as well.

The ISO chart that they showed at that event that's on the Cinema 5D blog is interesting.   Seems as if the middle grey point shifts within the dynamic-range range.  I assume that's just for prores (and maybe raw metadata).

That would mean that besides simply giving more brightness it would be more of an image manipulation tool.  You choose the ISO depending on whether you want more range in the shadows or in the highlights.  Look at the difference between 1000 and 1250:      Goes from 7.8 stops latitude below and 5.3 stops above to 10 stops below and 2.3 stops above.   A small change in brightness but probably a big change in the look of the image.       Then with gradual changes going down or up from those points.

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, MediaMan said:

I understand the issue with the label but anyone who has been around here long enough knows Andrew can shoot.

HALLELUJAH!!

Thank you, and I mean it. Finally there is someone here who has not just arrived in the past month or so and skim-read the blog for less than 5 minutes!!!

Did you know Johnnie / Nino at Cinema5D go around saying I can't shoot!!? Unbelievable. I find the pro video community SO FULL of arseholes sometimes, it's unreal. No wonder choose to be outside it rather than be chummy with such egotists and their naked self-interest.

I would like this thread to get back on the topic of the overrated Blackmagic Pocket Camera so this will be the last post for a while from me, unless attacked again.

See you in the other threads about other cameras.

7 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Did you know Johnnie / Nino at Cinema5D go around saying I can't shoot!!? Unbelievable.

I hope there's some misundertanding/misinformation going on right there. Slander, whatever, not actual facts brought to you from someone only interested to hurt your feelings. It doesn't even seem Johnnie Behiri's cup of tea. I'd dare to say neither Leitner's. Without mention Sebastian.

I am almost 60 years old. Been shooting since I was 15. 45 years - holy crap that is almost 1/2 a century. I have seen many leaps in technology.  Today I still work full-time creating videos using Sony RX10 IV's. Still shoot stills with Nikon. Been with Nikon since the beginning.I have tried Canon & Panasonic. I liked Canon to a point but always went back to the Nikon because of the lenses. However I had a brand new 10-24 Nikkor that needed warranty repair. That was a first for me. They just don't make them like they use too.  Anyway I saw Andrews post about sticking a camera up an arse? That sounds painful. Point being - no camera will ever be the end all.....and especially now it will just keep getting crazier. You want to know what is crazy? My first BetaCam cost $35,000. Shot standard def video on tape. Man what I would not have gave back in 1985 to have a camera like the Sony RX10 IV. 4K video shot on memory card? The Sony is not perfect either. No camera is. For awhile I chased every new camera. First the RED - which I had on order but passed. Before that I was ready to purchase a $60,000 Panasonic VariCam that shot 720p. Whew - glad I did not go that route. In 2006 I finally got into HD (sort of) with the Panasonic HVX. It shot great 720p video but the 1080 sucked. I met Barry Green at some local show and in 2007 I worked the Panasonic Booth at NAB. It was a great experience but they never called me back. I did purchase the Panasonic GH2. Awesome video for the day. But the photo side sucked. Then I added the Blackmagic BMPC I think it was called? Again awesome video but the ergonomics sucked. I rushed to buy the Blackmagic pocket camera. Very disappointing. I sold the HVX, GH2 and the Blackmagics and settled on the Sony RX10. I used that camera for quite a while. All along I kept my eye on the trends and passed on the other Sony RX10 upgrades. Then I shut down my video business in 2015 and took a full time job which offered a great salary and healthcare. Something I could not afford anymore because of ObamaCare.  At my new job I was able to set-up a video/photo department. We have 2 Sony RX10 IV's and we use Nikon D5600's for photo work. And the best part is I don't have to pay for anything any longer! It's a lot more fun to do video/photo work without worrying about where the next paycheck is coming from. As it so happens I was in Las Vegas in April on a family trip and managed to go to the NAB show on opening day. I have not been to one since I worked the 2007 show. It was the same except the technology has changed. Still crowded. Most of the people working the booths had no idea what they were talking about. Saw Barry Green doing a "live show" which was pretty bad. You would have thought that Panasonic would have had a better presentation by now? I could go on - but the point being - technology will always improve - maybe get cheaper and I wish I was 20 again!   Ha

8 hours ago, hugofilipe said:

It does record 4K cdng 60fps, if 30fps is 272MBps, 60fps is 544MBps.

Most CFast and SSD dont write at this speed, how will this work out?

I've been using that kind of math too, but BM have said that you can record 4k60p RAW through the USB-C providing your drive is fast enough. 1015439305_ScreenShot2018-09-12at07_03_32.thumb.png.e185cefb51096e7f6299b56996dd213b.png

6 hours ago, mnewxcv said:

does anyone know if blackmagic will have (or already has) a phone app that acts as remote viewfinder/shutter control?

They do not. They have an iPad app to control the camera settings and start stop recording, but no viewfinder. They've made all the necessary info available to developers so they can create their own, third party apps, but it's my understanding the the live view thing isn't possible via Bluetooth.