Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

I don't have a strong opinion about this whole issue, but if I were a Blackmagic employee who made decisions on these things (which doesn't describe John Brawley, btw), someone would say "hey, shouldn't we give a review camera to Andrew Reid? The EOSHD guy?" So I'd look at the website and check the guy out. 16 pages of op eds, think pieces, comparisons, and advertisements for his products later, I'd find Andrew Reid's last actual review: part 1 of the GH5 review, with the promise of a part 2 that never materialized. No finished work shot with it, just some ungraded clips available for download. Posted August of last year. And many more pages until his next latest review. I would say "eh, this guy doesn't do much in the way of reviews, just camera news and coverage of the market," and pursue other media outlets. 

Like... I'm sorry. I'm not trying to be rude or bite the hand that feeds us here, but Andrew used to make comprehensive reviews in a timely fashion with one or two accompanying pieces of work shot with the camera to showcase its abilities. I miss that Andrew Reid. His stuff was super helpful, and the type of work displayed gave me a sense of both the camera's intended use and Andrew's perspective as a user. These days, all I hear about is the tech side, and I don't always feel like I understand where Andrew is coming from as a writer. Independent filmmaker? Working DP? Camera technician? A colorist who likes to shoot sometimes? No judgement, but it's hard to understand his perspective on the cameras without also knowing what he looks for in one. From the outside, it just feels vague and inconsistent.

So yeah, despite EOSHD's history of praise for Blackmagic, I can't blame them for inviting more prolific gear reviewers to receive review models. Sorry.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Dear Mr. Reid. 

The other day you wrote the camera-press needs to grow a pair of balls. True that. And true too that your blog is often more critical and more honest than others I follow.

The bigger the balls, the more it hurts when somebody kicks them. I guess you got a taste of that.

I can only imagine how pissed you feel right now. But even if it feels like a catharsis for you writing down all this, I too (as seanzzxx) would advise you to take a deep breath and relax for a day or two. As anybody that follows the news knows, it is very easy to destroy the credibility build up in years of hard work within minutes when things get to emotional.  

My humble advice: Don't do this publicly, there's nothing you can win out of this but a lot you can loose.

7 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

" So I'd look at the website and check the guy out. 16 pages of op eds, think pieces, comparisons, and advertisements for his products later, I'd find Andrew Reid's last actual review: part 1 of the GH5 review, with the promise of a part 2 that never materialized. No finished work shot with it, just some ungraded clips available for download. Posted August of last year. And many more pages until his next latest review. I would say "eh, this guy doesn't do much in the way of reviews, just camera news and coverage of the market," and pursue other media outlets. 

I'm still waiting the Part 2 of the following reviews: 

1Dx Mark II, A7S II, A7R II, KineMax, Atomos Shogun, A7s, Digital Bolex, BMPCC

Long ago, cameras like 5D3 deserved a lot of tests and comparison on eosHD. Nowdays barely any footage.

Fortunetly the skill is still there (M50 sample, Pro Color V4, 3.5K ML RAW) but the passion is fading..

11 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

So yeah, despite EOSHD's history of praise for Blackmagic, I can't blame them for inviting more prolific gear reviewers to receive review models. Sorry.

Most of those 'prolific' gear reviewers don't really review stuff, they just play around a little with it and then give it a ' this is not to bad' verdict even if it is shit.

1 hour ago, Palpet said:

Myownfriend hasn't contributed ANYTHING. He's just trolling to boost his ego.

Actually, my comment was explanation which is better to be seen on ironic side - as mr Myownfriend actually mostly replaced mr Read in flesh-and-blood with psychological figure (imago) of hated authority kept deeper in mind... So, yes, it maybe could be said "just trolling to boost his ego" for something that, I'd say, simply look like a nice and free opportunity to fight with authority in general... Whether he directed his fight in the right direction in this concrete case, is very disputable - to say it mildly :)

Why - I'd say because he doesn't see more obvious and more subtle omnipotent authority pretension in our professional DP with cool hat who promotes BM or Oly or his own sessions and knowledge (and personal memories) out of pure generosity  :)

29 minutes ago, Michi said:

Dear Mr. Reid. 

The other day you wrote the camera-press needs to grow a pair of balls. True that. And true too that your blog is often more critical and more honest than others I follow.

The bigger the balls, the more it hurts when somebody kicks them. I guess you got a taste of that.

I can only imagine how pissed you feel right now. But even if it feels like a catharsis for you writing down all this, I too (as seanzzxx) would advise you to take a deep breath and relax for a day or two. As anybody that follows the news knows, it is very easy to destroy the credibility build up in years of hard work within minutes when things get to emotional.  

My humble advice: Don't do this publicly, there's nothing you can win out of this but a lot you can loose.

?? Spot on!.

Andrew,  BM behaviour is 100% in line with what you wrote about the Canon R event, thus why invite people as you  at the Manchester event?
If BM flew a guy from italy , they might expect he'd be "grateful", you just walking there....not so.

1 hour ago, greggreenhaw said:

In the case of John I feel like you misread his comments as being directed at you, I felt he was speaking more generally. There are a ton a noobs who do butcher his footage but he was clearly joking. 

I don't agree so much with Andrew's latest blog post, though he's within his right to post it. 

However I disagree with this characterization. Whether he was speaking directly to Andrew or people in general, it was a condescending comment, a pretty crappy thing to say, and I didn't sense it was a joke, given the overall substance of his post. 

He's a professional DP that has decided to post and interact with the rest of us. His words carry weight. He should be encouraging people, giving them advice and guidance instead of speaking like that. 

@Andrew Reid  I visit 3 sites at least once a day. EOSHD, Personal-view and Gearsultz.  EOSHD is unique in that it is not only a forum, but a blog foremost that gives ideas and insights that are not being put together in the same way by anybody else. Your perspective gives me confidents about my buying decisions.  I bought the NX1 and the a6300 because of you and this site.  The way you see things and write about them is a valuable contribution to the community.  Keep doing what you love despite what you view as a slight against you, in the end you are defined by your writing not what is written about you.  I look forward to you doing more of your excellent blogging in the future.  

The more truthful you are, the more companies don't want to invite you to their press releases, product reveals, etc.  The more servile you are, the more companies want to invite you so you can write fluffy pieces about their products.  It's part of the biz.  Just look at Tony and Chealse.  Every time a companies gives them early access to their products (e.g., Nikon); the next day, their reviews and youtube videos are "less harsh" about the companies products - "Oh, the Nikon Z doesn't have dual cards.  That's fine... ", while just a few weeks ago they are saying camera's without dual cards are basically a liability.  They walk the tightrope and to be honest I don't fully trust their reviews.  But that's how they make their living...

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, majoraxis said:

@Andrew Reid  I visit 3 sites at least once a day. EOSHD, Personal-view and Gearsultz.  EOSHD is unique in that it is not only a forum, but a blog foremost that gives ideas and insights that are not being put together in the same way by anybody else. Your perspective gives me confidents about my buying decisions.  I bought the NX1 and the a6300 because of you and this site.  The way you see things and write about them is a valuable contribution to the community.  Keep doing what you love despite what you view as a slight against you, in the end you are defined by your writing not what is written about you.  I look forward to you doing more of your excellent blogging in the future.  

Thank you

Glad to help people like you.

Not so glad to help certain others on this site.

The camera community is like a city and I'm just a citizen like all of you, trying to do my bit for it. Like a real city there will be indifference and lack of gratitude every day at every street corner on display. Block this out and maintain an enthusiasm for living (shooting) is all we can do.

2 hours ago, Myownfriend said:

As if I hadn't already said that I came here to participate in the forum. Not like I joined just to insult you. You aren't the draw of the forum, at least not for me, and I'm sure for most members of this forum. I didn't join this place to get closer to prestigious Andrew Reid. I joined so that I can participate in discussions with the likes of people like Captain Hook and John Brawley.

Seriously, from a guy who has an ego of his own, you really need to get yours under control. 

Do you walk like an Egyptian? 

Ha! So one dude (acting like a girl who was not elected as a queen of the prom) with forum on his website is not going to buy camera because he was not invited to some event. REALLY?! Love it! First world problems hahaha, made my day. I will be checking discussion just for fun haha. 

PS: hope Andrew is not going to delete all my posts again, when I asked why his A7III profiles changes color pretty bad and I called them unusable.  :))