Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 minute ago, zerocool22 said:

Maybe you were'nt planning on the buying the camera anyway? Why anybody would get this discussion get in the middle of buying a camera is beyond me.

How about the fact that it is my thread. That convince you? It shows a disdain towards teh consumer - there are many more options out there.

Hey, long time reader. First time poster.

I just want to say, I think it's important to note that attacks on @John Brawley are kind of pointless. I think he has said several times that he doesn't work for Black Magic Design, and isn't affiliated with them. I think when JB said he managed to test out the camera, he was given strict parameters to test with. So i really don't understand where the expectation is for JB to apoligize on behalf of BMD comes from. I also don't understand why he credibility is attacked. If people are disappointed with BMD for not inviting them to a preview, that's understandable, I'm not quite sure that means that half the industry are asskissers looking for self-promotion.

If Andrew not getting invited to a camera preview is how people decide not to get the camera, then that's their right. Doesn't make any sense to me. But everyone can make up their own minds.

18 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

This honestly doesn't reflect well on anybody, least of all yourself.  Freezing the thread for a cool-off was a good idea.  My advice (unsolicited I know!) would be to take that down for a similar period and then consider if you really want it out there.

It comes off as sour grapes, and just isn't a smart response. 

15 hours ago, Tone1k said:

I work as a freelancer in the broadcast industry as well as film industry.

When it comes to Broadcast... while I'm not the best out there at what I do, I know plenty of freelancers that get work over me despite producers preferring my work. Do you know why they get work over me? It's because they do send those emails and it's because they do actively hound the bookings people in the office.

I've never been one to do that and it sounds like you haven't either. 

Sometimes it's not about who's the best but who's been the most persistent at forming relationships with others in the industry. I've never been good at marketing myself or ringing up the people doing the hiring asking for work in the same way that it sounds like you don't do that with camera manufacturers. It means that even though producers tell me I might do a better job of something than the next person, I don't always get the call for work because the communication between producers and those booking crew is not always there.

As a freelancer myself, I need to get much more into the habit of doing this myself as well. But I'm too shy? And not even too sure how to word it and go about it. 
Because it absolutely will make a difference. Often it is less what you know but who you know. 
There are soundies (and true in other crew positions too), who have much less technical expertise than me, worse gear, or less experience, yet they seem to get more work than me. 

12 minutes ago, John Brawley said:

I don’t actually work for Blackmagic. It’s not my job to make you happy or smooth anything over when you have an issue with them not inviting you to an event.  

It’s not my job to pander to anyone.

I don’t answer to BMD. 

Just like you I’m an independent opinion and my opinion doesn’t reflect Blackmagic’s views.

I think you’re misunderstand why I’m here. 

Nice job on the personal attack Andrew.

JB

To both of you, I think the general camera buying public really appreciate the efforts you both put in, informing buyers of pros and cons. Have a beer and cool down. Social media is like road rage these days. Don't take it seriously. But honestly, bury the hatchet and keep doing what you do. Build bridges not walls!

Both of you are great, AR and JB. I think Jo Public really appreciates the work you do. Don't get too riled up by social media commentary. It's like road rage online these days. Sit down and have a pint and let the BS blow over. 

• Administrators

Here is Panasonic's UK HQ, and me second from right.

IMG_0715_polarr.jpg

L1170399b.jpg

Panasonic do it right. A tech related feedback session and a friendly meet-up. No wining and dining PR stunts in gin bars.

On the table is a pre-production GH5S.

Dave at Red Shark was also at the event and I met Holden, the main distributor for Blackmagic in the UK.

All of them friendly people. Receptive to technical collaboration and supportive of the blog.

All I expected from Blackmagic in the 5 months since NAB was a "hello".

The Manchester event would have been nice to go to. I have not even seen the Pocket 4K in person yet, and Blackmagic's Patrick in PR knows this full well.

John's response on here was COLD and dismissive. To him I'm just another idiot blogger. Just another blog. And you guys are just nerds to him, who cannot grade.

I think it's disgraceful.

13 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

What you do doesn't amount to a piss in the snow as the world goes. I have never even watched a F ng thing you have shot for a living, and Gee I haven't lost a days sleep.

I have been watching and really enjoying the TV series "The Resident", and this was ages before I even realized that @John Brawley is the DoP for it!! (which I discovered thanks to his postings to EOSHD right here)

• Administrators
16 minutes ago, Jn- said:

FWIW I think JB's main response was a bit cold.  But then he’s probably not into marketing.

We're pretty far down the capitalist rabbit hole when a basic human courtesy could be seen as 'marketing'.

It's not about being into marketing, it's about being a nice person.

16 minutes ago, Jn- said:

What IS a secondry user, i.e. the people that were invited to the event, a new class of marketing people, maybe.

Yes at the event, some were a new class of marketing people. I don't yet know what their game is. I don't really find their editorial interesting or their technical expertise that impressive, but they are there and they are beating the hell out of me when it comes to the PR networking game.

1 minute ago, Emanuel said:

People are human. Independence is not granted, but a day-by-day basis struggle. We all have our responsibilities. Manufacturers included. How to guarantee that from disastrous PR?

At this stage, this thread is just a place for @Andrew Reid to vent.

If Andrew is actually somebody of note, and to be honest I have no idea what the audience was meant to be for this preview, it's possible it was a simple oversight.

All we really know for sure is that @John Brawley is to blame for all of this.

• Administrators

What I would give to be the Chinese man in this unboxing video

How much useful info are we gaining from this?

Not a lot, yet he has a camera doesn't he!

John says there are absolutely no camera reviewers with a unit yet. So he stole it off the back of a lorry at the factory or what?

I guess the number of viewers, pages and messages on this thread speak by themselves. Ungratitude is not a fair game. If JB is not a marketing guy from BMD (despite the fact he is an insider with privileged information), the company then should address this matter IMHO. In the name of all of us, their customers. We want the brand to succeed. This is only a stupid fail.

What a self-defeating reaction to a perceived slight, or at worst, the insensitive words of one man. "Because my feelings are hurt, I'm not going to choose a certain tool that would benefit me."

Why should you (Andrew) or I or anyone give a rat's ass what someone else thinks? You're simply cutting off your nose to spite your face.