Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

• Administrators
37 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Write them a note that you would have really enjoyed to have been at the Manchester event

[Adopts child-like voice]

Dear mister black magic

i am witing to yo, from mi home in Manc-town. Home of the football teeeems, fancy cars and also Blackmagic pre-production cameras.

Please please please can I meet with Mr Blackmagic and his nice camewa. I am willing to write nice things on my blog site.

I will tell all the peeeple about raw, raw, raw, and ProRes and raw. Also I will talk about raw.

Mr Blackmagic will be veewwwry. veeeeeery pleased! Because all the peeeeeple will give him money. In return, all I ask is for a cup of tea. You don't even have to pay for the fucking car parking.

I have many many many dreams of finally meeting your salesman of the year. I would like to dwink cock tails with him and lik him up the bum.

I hope you will consider me for your EVENTS in future. So I can bring people INFORMATION about the diddly little cinema camera for poor people.

FANK YOU!! Andrew (age 6 and four thirds).

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

bmpc4k.jpg

Unbelievable. That BM Pocket 4K event was in Manchester.

If I had known about this I would have only had travel 30 mins and walk right in. Please keep me in the loop better in future Blackmagic, I have been waiting to get my hands on once for what seems like forever.

Damn, how did I not know about this? Manchester is a small world for this industry. Everyone knows everyone and their dog sorta thing! 

Though honestly, maybe... be better at networking? Don't have to go as far as these self-proclaimed YouTube reviewers that are mostly asslickers. But for sure keep tabs, keep on the radar.

I'm not gonna get upset if I'm not invited to Timmy's birthday party and refuse a treat when he does a round of treats in class because of it. That's a little petty. That's just the industry, I mean... must not be the only company not inviting you to these hands-on events. Seems Kai was in London for the Canon EOS-R event... were you there as well? Got invited at all?

It's like skipping dinner as a protest because earlier on you weren't allowed to eat a cookie. A bit unnecessarily stubborn. The only person that it really effects badly seems you.

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

bmpc4k.jpg

Unbelievable. That BM Pocket 4K event was in Manchester.

If I had known about this I would have only had travel 30 mins and walk right in. Please keep me in the loop better in future Blackmagic, I have been waiting to get my hands on once for what seems like forever.

The curious thing about the Blackmagic event I attended, was that after I joked that I was planning to save some footage, for which I was specifically carrying 2 fast cards, one of the executives from Singapore told me that each of the various Blackmagic cameras touring the world, had a different firmware (actually functionality), and Many features were disabled. So the likelihood of me getting any footage of consequence out of it was unlikely. Which seemed true, since the camera I handled for about 10-15 mins, also only had like 1 flavour of ProRes (I think it was HQ). 

Why I said this, is That Blackmagic are taking the cameras across, but I am not sure they have the firmware ready in all their cameras. I also found the company to be rather approachable, with almost none of the major corporate red tapism. Maybe they are just waiting to be asked. Atleast that way you would know whether they have more than 1-2 fully functional prototypes, and you could get your hands on one. At the Manchester event, you would have not really have had a chance to test the camera. Like the Blackmagic executive mentioned, each of the touring cameras have had most of their features disabled. It would have, therefore, in all likelihood, been an exercise in futility, in attempting to really test the camera there. Ask them to test a camera, and sign an Non Disclosure to release your review after the official launch. Best of Luck. I feel they may agree. 

4 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Whereabouts in Manchester was it exactly?

You haven't got your glasses on and no Google maps either to look up what it said 'Manchester / Three Rivers'? Well, you'll end up with Manchester Three Rivers Gin. 21 Red Bank, Parade, Manchester M4 4HF, UK, which seems close to the Manchester Arena.

Andrew, you are cutting off your nose to spite your face. 

Blackmagic really don't owe you anything for any 'free publicity'. Their Pocket 4k has started a frenzy among the camera world stirring up conversation and leading people to discuss it on forums, maybe you owe Blackmagic for making your site and this thread so popular? Maybe you owe all of your forum members here for contributing all their content here  and making this site popular. Maybe you owe John Brawley for his contributions, I know I read this thread mainly because of his input and presence here...... Silly, I know, but the tantrum you seem to be throwing could also be seen as a bit silly too. 

Seems like nothing really new came from the event and maybe BM didn't think you would want to do an unboxing video...? 

Your reaction here only serves to diminish your character and reputation and by snubbing the camera based on you not receiving a pre prod version for testing or not being invited to one event. It might also suggest that you can be easily bought which is not what most people want out of an online reviewer. 

Who knows, maybe a marketing person at BM didn't think it appropriate to invite someone who seems brand focused by being call EOSHD? 

There are so many reasons why you may have not received an invite.... 

Just my 2c.

• Super Members
3 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

You haven't got your glasses on and no Google maps either to look up what it said 'Manchester / Three Rivers'? Well, you'll end up with Manchester Three Rivers Gin. 21 Red Bank, Parade, Manchester M4 4HF, UK, which seems close to the Manchester Arena.

Cheers Poirot.

I'll click before I speak next time 

• Administrators

At a gin bar near the northern quarter.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Manchester+Three+Rivers+Gin/@53.4907242,-2.2382819,15z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x96706c50f7a68b8b?sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiJ-cbB667dAhWLaFAKHYb9C5MQ_BIwDHoECAgQCw

It's not that I want to have a drink foisted on me and charmed into making nice YouTube videos, but the chance to give them some feedback and write an EOSHD hands-on article would have been a simple thank you for 5 years of high profile posts about the cameras. I can assume that after they went away from the Pocket market and focussed on pros with the URSA, they forgot about sites like EOSHD. Now they want in again, and they have 340k views on a single forum post in 4 months, to still not reach out with the chance to try the camera is a real slap in the face. And I am wondering what the real reason is for it.

In that article about the camera press growing a pair of balls, I said the danger was that only the people good at networking and furthering their own careers in self promotion would get to review cameras in the future, and I fear I am right.

I've received the message from Blackmagic plain as day.

EOSHD is not worth inviting to a quite simple event in my home city.

Not even in the top 10 of sites in Europe to invite to a hands-on for the camera.

250,000 visits each month to this site and the Pocket 4K / GH5 are the two biggest reasons they visit.

To Blackmagic I simply say, you had a loyal customer here, a great fan of what they stood for and where they were going and the cameras they put out there... all that free publicity for them over the years came from a place of truth, a real passion for their gear. All that server bandwidth for a busy forum thread, even a sub-forum, but I am not worth ONE PUNY EMAIL to say "here Andrew, as a thank you, get your hands on the new camera 1 month early"

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, Tone1k said:

Your reaction here only serves to diminish your character and reputation and by snubbing the camera based on you not receiving a pre prod version for testing or not being invited to one event. It might also suggest that you can be easily bought which is not what most people want out of an online reviewer.

Thanks for the support? LOL

It's my order and I can do what I like with it. It'll pay towards the time I spent having to read and moderate shithead comments like yours.

• Administrators
18 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

I don't know. They didn't invite me either. They might have if I reached out to them, but I didn't. I don't consider myself to be so important that everyone should shudder when they hear my name and give me the proper respect I demand from merely my presence and reach out to me and not the other way around... because I love declining offers, but I certainly won't beg for one.

But hey, you do you, mate.

I might stop the forum.

In the end it's about you guys... I tried to set up a decent site for you to get information about cameras. Over the years I haven't wavered. Day in day out, I have spent thousands of pounds on equipment, kept shooting, kept blogging, even when I found it exhausting.

For what?

For some snide Napoleon remarks and shitty comments like that from Cinegain who has been a member and follower since as far back as 2014.

What kind of gratitude level am I dealing with here.

Sometimes I spend hours a day reading this forum, and I don't want to read comments like this, quite frankly. So closing it down would lighten my mood.

It's not about ego. Would have been a simple courtesy for Blackmagic to keep me in the loop on the Pocket 4K camera, due to the amount of interest in it from you guys on my site, which yes I do appreciate but it goes both ways. They have had months to get in touch. It's not up to me to go chasing like a poodle.

I can't support you with a site, if you don't support me.

If I had gone to that event to interview Blackmagic and try the camera, It would be to the benefit of of you, you'd have more info about the camera. It would be to the benefit of you, if they got involved, however small, and helped me out here. I will now be the last to shoot with this camera, and I feel very much down and sad about that, after 5 years of buying Blackmagic cameras and all the articles, shoots, Speed Boosters, lenses, c-mount glass, Resolve tips, forum posts, music videos, Berlin stuff, and so on.

The way I am thinking right now, in this rather down mood I am in, is why do I even bother, quite honestly. Hours and hours and hours of work is not even worth a message of support from my own followers.

Honestly? I don’t know why you bother. But let me explain... some of your videos have inspired me to be better than I naturally am. Your GH1 video in the Buddhist monastery is one of the nicest videos floating around since the dslr revolution. Your BMCC video at the abandoned amusement park is one of my favorite videos from that camera. Even your simple but fun video of the FZ1000 led me to eventually buy its successor, the FZ2500 (even though you disliked that upgrade) so why eff around with this nonsense when you can be out creating? If you were making money from this site... I’d get it, but why hang out with a bunch of know it alls (myself included) and armchair professionals when you could be working on a feature film and using your money to finance that? Just my opinion. I’d miss the site but I’d understand your reasoning.

Think you're overreacting to all of this. Dunno mate, you're just seeing things that aren't there.

I said the danger was that only the people good at networking and furthering their own careers in self promotion would get to review cameras in the future, and I fear I am right.

I am afraid too that you're quite right. That's the way the game is played right now I'm afraid. But do you want to play ball and get in or do you want to shout from the sidelines? That's really up to you.

I've received the message from Blackmagic plain as day.

Except... there was no such message. Companies are big... positions change... networks fade and re-establish. You want to be on the radar? You better make sure you're flying through their airspace making waves big enough to get picked up. It's a sea of content creators, filmmakers, blogs and forums out there. They can't keep tabs and stats on all and invite like the top 10 that come out of that. It's like a birthday party. I invite the people I've gotten to know well. Why would they go about it any differently? They're not mindreaders. You can't expect them to know what you want unless you make that clear to them. And how should they have known that you are back in the UK. I thought you were in Berlin as well, myself. Maybe if you shot them a message now making a case for yourself they'd be supercool to still give you one early. But instead you make up your mind about how they think about you and EOSHD and throw this unnecessary tantrum. Boycotting their products. Threatening to close the forum. Like... are you having a midlife crisis mate? Nobody is an enemy here. Why can't we just all get along, talk this over and sort this out like adults?

This has nothing to do with not appreciating you or what you've done with the site and for the community. The GH2 Hack Vault and stuff back in the day got me hooked. The GH4 and anamorphic guides were great. Your blog posts... your forum comments. I might not agree with everything, but I've always respected what you did. This is a safe place for people of all kind of backgrounds and skill levels, it's great to see the comradery, playful banter and knowledge displayed. And I am in fact grateful for that and for you keeping that alive. But that's got zero to do with not being invited to a hands-on event. C'mon.

8 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

The way I am thinking right now, in this rather down mood I am in, is why do I even bother, quite honestly. Hours and hours and hours of work is not even worth a message of support from my own followers.

You've got our support! I understand why you're upset. It's reasonable to not buy the camera--after all it's your money, and your time. Maybe Blackmagic forgot, maybe they did it completely out of malice. Either way, it's not worth getting into a fight about.

• Super Members

I've got to say that if someone had compared me to Fox News, the fucking Sun "newspaper" and the odious Piers Morgan as has happened in the past couple of days on here to Andrew Reid, I'd have already pulled the plug.

No one needs this shit over something as trivial as cameras, let alone having to pay for the upkeep of it.

• Administrators
14 minutes ago, mercer said:

Honestly? I don’t know why you bother.

Hey Mr Motivational. Thank you very much.

No I don't know why I bother either. I do though for some reason. Because on this forum 70% of you are great. Not 90% like there would be on a forum of animation, or music, or something which attracts nicer people than the damned video industry but 70 I can live with, despite the Fox News comments and barbs from long-time 5 year members like Cinegain.

I really don't mind if some of you think the last few posts of mine have been about me throwing toys out of the pram.

I don't have any toys in the pram to throw out.

I just think very plainly Blackmagic are using this site for publicity and I expect virtually nothing in return, but to be ignored in my home city, whilst hosting a thread with this much good info in it, was too much... it broke me. They lost a customer there and then in that second. Nothing else to analyse. Nothing more to think.

I think if they are going to do that and to the tune of 340k views on one topic, they can maybe think about saying hello next time they drop by Manchester, rather than ignoring me for around the last 2 years. Yep.. Not a peep from them in my inbox for 2 years (since 2016 Photokina). And now, a snub on top.

I don’t know if I agree with that. If I remember correctly, Andrew received a Micro to review. And I believe he gave his honest review. Now he doesn’t receive a camera, or an invite to a local event?That is kinda BS. Everybody wants to act like BM is a different kind of company but that just isn’t true. They saw a hole in the marketplace and dove in. These companies don’t create products solely out of the kindness of their hearts for the indie filmmakers of the world. If BM did, they would have released a logical 2.5K upgrade to the Pocket two years ago. Panasonic, Canon, Sony, Fuji, they are all the same. They exist to make money. And they will take advantage of any free resource they have.

@Cinegain