Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

48 minutes ago, majoraxis said:

With daul native ISO's it should have the most dynamic range at ISO 400 and ISO 3200 - correct?

So the assumption is shooting at ISO 100 would reduce the dynamic range and the noise by the same amount - 2 stops?  

Hmmm... I would like to see some tests that illustrate the reality of this assumption or disprove this assumption relationship between ISO and dynamic range.

400 ISO is the BMPCC 4K's native ISO. if you go below that in video you are loosing DR. Just like SLog in a Sony A7s. Anything below 3200 ISO and you are loosing DR on the original. That is it's native ISO for video. So yeah you are loosing out DR wise at 100 ISO for video. Even for a frame grab in stills.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The assumption I was questioning is if there is a equal relationship between shooting two stops lower and actaually loosing the same number of stops of dynamic range.  The post stated that shooting at ISO 100 and you will loose 2 stops of DR.  Tests will show if this is actually the case... also because of the lower noise floor st  lower ISOs you could underexpose a bit and bring it back in post, which would compensate for loosing some dr/headroom in the highlights. 

9 minutes ago, majoraxis said:

also because of the lower noise floor st  lower ISOs you could underexpose a bit and bring it back in post, which would compensate for loosing some dr/headroom in the highlights. 

Yeah, but now you are just doing what would happen if you exposed at (let's say) 400 normally, instead of 100. Between ISO 100-800 no gain is applied by the sensor, only the curve is shifted. In raw this doesn't matter, because you CAN underexpose at ISO 100 and just apply the 400 curve without losing anything. However, due to the compression applied by prores (which is pretty good, don't get me wrong), you'll likely have less shadow detail/more noise when you pull up ISO 100 in post to match ISO 400 as opposed to just having shot at ISO 400 to begin with.

I would guess at this point anything not coming from Blackmagic is clickbait fakes. Preorders have undoubtedly gobbled up the first few months of production, perhaps longer. They're going to sell them as fast as they can crank them out for awhile. The P4k certainly doesn't need a blogger junket like the EOS-R to convince people to buy, it looks flat out amazing.

Chris

1 hour ago, Trek of Joy said:

I would guess at this point anything not coming from Blackmagic is clickbait fakes. Preorders have undoubtedly gobbled up the first few months of production, perhaps longer. They're going to sell them as fast as they can crank them out for awhile. The P4k certainly doesn't need a blogger junket like the EOS-R to convince people to buy, it looks flat out amazing.

Chris

The video taken at the Seoul Zoo wasn't uploaded by BMD but was confirmed legitimate by BMD and the person who filmed it took a picture of the Pocket 4K setup that they used.

8 minutes ago, Shirozina said:

That is the assumption but why no mention in the specs and why the low data rates in the specs?

They aren't low, those are the standard bit rates of ProRes at those resolutions and frame rates. The bit rates are all listed in megabytes per second not megabits. I think they didn't specify because I guess ProRes is usually at least 10-bit and probably because no Blackmagic camera has ever recorded in 8-bit so they may have wrongfully assumed that everyone knew already.

BMPCC4K Footage "Bubble Gum" filmed with Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
RAW 3:1 4K DCI
24fps Project / 60fps Off-Speed
ISO 400, 1250, 3200, 5000
Samsung T5 SSD through USB-C
DJI Ronin-S
Metabones EF to MFT T Speedbooster XL 0.64x
Shot with Contax Zeiss MM primes: 35/f2.8, 50/f1.4, 85/f1.4, 135/f2.8
95% Ronin-S / 5% handheld.