Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 minute ago, IncriminatingPictures said:

Maybe, but I found it to be the case in the other 2 shots I colored as well. All three had to have reds and oranges pushed into the highs and mids. 

They're actually properly white balanced. You just tend to prefer things to be very warm looking judging from your grades.

For example, the sun is rising in the balloon shot and everything else in the shot is in shadow so it would actually be very blue because it's being lit by the sky itself. In the forest shot, you made all the trees very yellow which makes things feel sunnier, but the trees are obviously green.

A lot of BMD shooters seem to do that though, but it's a preference, it's not accurate.

46 minutes ago, Myownfriend said:

They're actually properly white balanced. You just tend to prefer things to be very warm looking judging from your grades.

For example, the sun is rising in the balloon shot and everything else in the shot is in shadow so it would actually be very blue because it's being lit by the sky itself. In the forest shot, you made all the trees very yellow which makes things feel sunnier, but the trees are obviously green.

A lot of BMD shooters seem to do that though, but it's a preference, it's not accurate.

Fair enough, I believe you're right. I'm definitely no professional colorist, and I probably have started to lean towards preferring more warmer tones lately. 

On 9/2/2018 at 3:58 AM, John Brawley said:

Again, I laugh when I see comments about how noisy ISO3200 is but I’m guessing those users aren’t aware how much image processing their cameras are doing at high ISOs.  BMD allow you as the user to choose your poison. A very very underrated feature. And like colour correction it’s almost too powerful because users haven’t been instructed to change their expectations, nor how to add noise reduction or sharpening so they can season to taste. 

I wonder if BMD will ever offer built in NR or sharpening? For users who wanted SOOC footage closer to what they desire. 

14 minutes ago, IncriminatingPictures said:

Fair enough, I believe you're right. I'm definitely no professional colorist, and I probably have started to lean towards preferring more warmer tones lately. 

I found myself doing that a bit awhile back too and I kind of called myself out on it. When I stopped shying away from green tints and cooler tones, I started notice how much color contrast and I was robbing that picture of. Of course, that's just when it comes to color correction not when going to for a look.

3 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I wonder if BMD will ever offer built in NR or sharpening? For users who wanted SOOC footage closer to what they desire. 

I think part of the issue is just that they're using an FPGA. An actually custom chip would be more suited to that.

6 minutes ago, Myownfriend said:

I found myself doing that a bit awhile back too and I kind of called myself out on it. When I stopped shying away from green tints and cooler tones, I started notice how much color contrast and I was robbing that picture of. Of course, that's just when it comes to color correction not when going to for a look.

I think I started to veer warmer in my corrections because, as I stated in my OP, I've been doing a lot of work that is being mostly consumed via handheld digital device or laptop. As much as I would love for more people to watch YT and such on their big fancy smart TVs, we're just not there yet according to the back-end analytics. 

On 9/3/2018 at 1:34 AM, leslie said:

so i am buying a cheaper cinema camera than the competition  that should be class leading in some regards that is going to take ten hours in post production to make a 1 hour video look spectacular, is your logic off or are black magic are doing something wrong  ?

A well polished 1hr long scripted film is going to take much much longer than merely 10hours of post production in total.

On 9/3/2018 at 3:19 AM, Cinegain said:

But... if I want a nice car to bring my kids to school with, I'm wrong to think that Ducati motorcycle people are raving about on forums is something I should be getting... if you know what I'm trying to say here.

I dunno, maybe if you put a sidecar on that motorcycle? ?

22 hours ago, grex said:

@John Brawley I noticed you are a fan of the SLR magic APO's. Do you think this would be a great fit for the BMPCC4K? If so, would you just use the MFT adapter or would you get an MFT speedbooster?

Ideally i would prefer a speedbooster but I've wondered whether the extra glass from the speedbooster would degrade the image quality of the lens and defeat the purpose of investing in a cinema grade lens like this.   

Your thoughts?

People also buy them for their ergonomics and consistency. 
Which a focal reducer doesn't exactly change. (or well, at least no more than a straight adapter would if used consistently)

'Bugs'

Peter Nearhos talks about using the new Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K and the Laowa probe lens for the first time. ‘Bugs’ is a unique project where Peter could try out the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K in the world of macro filmmaking.

“This was the first time I had shot with the Laowa probe or the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K. The great thing about the probe is it will cover all of the 4K sensor. Larger 4K sensors tend to play havoc with your depth of field with this sort of work. So the smaller micro four thirds sized 4K sensor used by Blackmagic Design, is much better for this kind of shooting.”

“I have to say the 13 stops of latitude was also really great, because you can see into all of the dark spots. Which is very good when you are using hard lights, because you have detail well into the shadows under leaves and things. The other great thing about this camera is the really high native ISO. I tended to stay around ISO 2500 but you can go as high as 25,600. There are other cameras with insane ISO levels, but they become incredibly grainy which means a lot of work in post. I think Blackmagic have their ISO at a sensible level. Given that for most macro filming you will be using lights, the 25,600 ISO with this camera is all you’ll ever need.”

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
ProRes 422 HQ
ISO 2500
Laowa Probe 24mm, 60mm Macro 2:1, 15mm Wide Macro 1:1, 25mm Ultra Macro 5:1 EF mount, Canon 100mm 1:1, 65mm f/2.8 5:1 EF mount.. 
Laowa 7.5mm Micro Four Thirds mount. 
Metabones Speedbooster Ultra
Aputure LS C300d and LS-mini20 daylight LEDs

OG files on the download page: https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicpocketcinemacamera/gallery

After a couple of seconds I expected a BBC voice narrating the mating procedures of the green walking bug. Without talking about DR on ISO, right now it looks great and good enough for me. That it comes with a Resolve copy and at the price point they gave it, makes it even more of an incredible deal.