Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

So is it the same sensor as the GH5S. I won't lie, the GH5S can be chanllenging to CG. More so than the C200. The codec is less forgiving. This has me wondering about the new P4k. Where is some footage I can download to butcher... erh color grade?Here is some GH5S footage for sake of comparison on a sunny day.

5 minutes ago, Myownfriend said:

That generally has more to do with log curves. People generally find BMD's log footage to be pretty easy to color grade.

Well here's the thing. I grade my C200 footage in Resolve... but as I have been holding off on buying the full version of Resolve as it is included with the P4k. As a result I have been forced to grade my GH5S footage in FCPX, as the  GH5S's 10 bit ALL-i files are not supported in the free version of Resolve. I think it may be easier to grade in Resolve than FCPX. So perhaps that's part of the edge. Also, having been spoiled by raw files, I have become used to the added flexibility afforded this medium. I have not owned a BM camera since the OG pocket. As such, I am eager to get my hands on this to see how it stacks up. I don't know if it is a replacement for a GH5S. Battery life on the Pani is pretty good. I only went through two batteries in Mexico. Also, being weather sealed gives some peace of mind when traveling. I like the colors of the new camera, though I would maintain that the original felt more "organic". 

2 minutes ago, Myownfriend said:

Why would they do that?

Idk, so far from what I've seen, I prefer the S16mm look from the older sensor. The new camera has a more modern, video look to it (it looks good and crisp and clean) but the OG Pocket/Micro had a different aesthetic that I prefer.

1 minute ago, Jonesy Jones said:

Groan.

Ugh.

Just now, mercer said:

Idk, so far from what I've seen, I prefer the S16mm look from the older sensor. The new camera has a more modern, video look to it (it looks good and crisp and clean) but the OG Pocket/Micro had a different aesthetic that I prefer.

Maybe wait until this camera comes out and they're actually juxtaposed. You may even be able to use the CST plugin to make Pocket 4K look like original Pocket footage and then you just grade from there.

BMD isn''t going to release anything that shoots less than 4K now and Fairchild doesn't make any 4K S16 or 4/3 sensors.

4 minutes ago, Myownfriend said:

Maybe wait until this camera comes out and they're actually juxtaposed. You may even be able to use the CST plugin to make Pocket 4K look like original Pocket footage and then you just grade from there.

BMD isn''t going to release anything that shoots less than 4K now and Fairchild doesn't make any 4K S16 or 4/3 sensors.

All the videos look good, I was just expecting something different.

25 minutes ago, mercer said:

All the videos look good, I was just expecting something different.

I kinda don't get what you're saying.

What BM is delivering is more difficult to achieve (not necessarily better). The 'aesthetic' some are looking for I think will be easily attainable. I do think it would behoove BM to let Olan Collardy shoot and grade a short piece. I GUARA-FRIGGIN-TEE everyone's perception of the 'look' will suddenly shift massively. 

Yeah, I guess the original produced somewhat footage that I'd call 'flat with character'. That gave it a very organic and filmic look, which people took to heart and embraced even further in post.

This new one seems to have more bite, more contrast and seems to lend itself nicely for a natural clean look. Would be interesting to see something more in the blockbuster direction. How things look when you give it more of a mood and look. I'm sure it will handle that like a champ as well. This puppy is probably very well-rounded and versatile.

John Brawley talks about the new Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K. ‘Models Close up at Night’ is his third camera test where he checked out the camera’s ability to handle different skin tones in very low light conditions.

“This camera test was about shooting different skin tones in different low light conditions, so we wanted to keep it simple using the least amount of artificial lighting. We had a hotel room in Atlanta where we shot from 3pm until 11pm and got through about 70-80 shots cycling through different lighting and skin conditions. When you can get really great pictures at ISO3200 and above, things suddenly get very interesting. In this test, we were shooting two hours after sunset and you can still see blue sky around the buildings in the background! This camera can really read a long way into the shadows, which was a big surprise.”

“I see this camera as continuing the evolution that Blackmagic started with the Pocket Cinema Camera by now making it 4K. Having something that we can work with in really low light like this, means you can still get really great results with any type of ambient light.” 

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
Apple ProRes 422 HQ 
ISO1000 and 3200
Olympus Pro 17, 25, 45, 1.2 Micro Four Thirds lenses

2 hours ago, mercer said:

I have to agree with this. The original Pocket had a beautiful organic look reminiscent (to me anyway) of celluloid - even without grading, in fact even when it was in 'video' mode. I am disappointed to see that the Pocket 4K footage has more of a digital aesthetic - albeit with beautiful colour science. I was hoping for an image closer to what we usually see from BMD cameras rather than the Panny /Sony look.

I'm not going to cancel my pre-order because it is still a beautiful image and incredible value, but I will definitely be hanging on to my original Pocket. 

22 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Maybe you can't get a real organic look in 4k. It is in a sense too good. 

I love the look of the Ursa Mini Pro. It looks organic and film like to me - so I don't think resolution is a factor. I even liked what I was seeing from the BMPC4k despite it's limited DR. I guess it all comes down to the sensor. 

22 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

But i will admit the skin tones JB is doing, especially the last video seen on Vimeo is really damn good.

Agreed those colours and skin tones are excellent.