Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

23 minutes ago, Turboguard said:

Night? lol

hmm the talk about the older cameras dropping in price is tempting. Used the UM in 2016 for a gig and I loved working with it. Seeing that the UMP might drop down a couple of bucks, IS very tempting, but the size of the BMPCC4K is the reason I preordered. Who knows, maybe I’ll get the UMP too!

I dont think the UMP will drop in price anytime soon. (I hope not, as I own one :D) and I will be getting the pocket 4K for travel stuff. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Interesting that on the website thy show the camera surrounded by many lenses. But almost all of the lenses are Olympus, with only a couple Panasonic, Veydras and the odd SLR Magic and Voit thrown in for good measure. I wonder if this is an indication that they feel Panasonic users would largely not be interested in this camera? Interestingly, at NAB almost all of the cameras that were not mounted with giant cine zoom were fitted with Panasonic lenses. 

lens-mount-xl@2x.jpg?_v=1521956582

• Super Members

Or an indication that the AF is so horribly bad you'll be using MF permanently hence the clutch focus of the Olympus lenses makes them far more appropriate than the Panasonic ones.

Where is the emoticon for "Of course I'm kidding about the AF so keep your drawers on but its worth bearing in mind this feature if you are choosing between Olympus and Panasonic lenses at similar focal lengths if you intend to do a lot of manual focus on this camera" ?

11 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Or an indication that the AF is so horribly bad you'll be using MF permanently hence the clutch focus of the Olympus lenses makes them far more appropriate than the Panasonic ones.

Where is the emoticon for "Of course I'm kidding about the AF so keep your drawers on but its worth bearing in mind this feature if you are choosing between Olympus and Panasonic lenses at similar focal lengths if you intend to do a lot of manual focus on this camera" ?

So this is not entirely related to your comment there, but do we know the 35mm stills crop factor equivalent of the P4K? I know its roughly 2x, but I thought I remember it being slightly better actually.

Speaking as someone who’s a long time user of the Olympus 4/3 (anyone remember that format??) and then micro 4/3 format.

I own many 4/3 and m4/3 lenses from Olympus, Panasonic and others (Veydra, SLR Magic, Voigtlander)

Generally speaking Olympus m4/3 lenses are better corrected optically. Panny tend to rely more heavily on in-camera / post correction.  

Olympus also OEM many lenses for others. You’d be surprised what major brands have lenses that are made by Olympus. Optics have always been their primary strength. (They are absolute leaders in other fields like medical where they have near monolopoly market share of endoscopes etc).

Olympus are a really interesting company, very innovative. They were the first to do live view in a stills camera. First to have an ultrasonic cleaning of the sensor. And of course their IBIS has always been the best along with weatherproofing.

In the past few years I have been consulting with Olympus on improving their product and features to appeal to more cinematographers. These things typically take time to filter though their product development cycle. 

The Pro primes are actually beautiful lenses. And they’re great for cinematography.  Hard stops on focus for example.  BMD asked me to shoot with the Olympus primes to show what could be done with inexpensive native 4/3 lenses and they do not disappoint. 

JB

7 minutes ago, John Brawley said:

In the past few years I have been consulting with Olympus on improving their product and features to appeal to more cinematographers. These things typically take time to filter though their product development cycle. 

Wow. That's amazing news. Would that also involve the video side of things (apart from optics and lenses)? I have always felt that Olympus could do way better in their video department, especially since they have no higher end cinema line to protect (even without using ProRes or RAW).

Also, M43 could do with more competition in the video department I guess. 

7 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Take the original BMPCC as an example. To this day it never recovered on the used market since the fire sale. Since then its always been sub $500 with accessories. Often good stuff like a couple of lenses and/or speed booster.

I don't think that is totally accurate. I sold mine used for 650 about a year or more after the sale. The pocket was steady around 700 until maybe the last 6-12 months. The fire sale was like 3/4 years ago.

The deals you can get on packages are incredible right now. I just bought one with a speed booster and cage for 630.

3 hours ago, DBounce said:

Interesting that on the website thy show the camera surrounded by many lenses. But almost all of the lenses are Olympus, with only a couple Panasonic, Veydras and the odd SLR Magic and Voit thrown in for good measure. I wonder if this is an indication that they feel Panasonic users would largely not be interested in this camera? Interestingly, at NAB almost all of the cameras that were not mounted with giant cine zoom were fitted with Panasonic lenses. 

lens-mount-xl@2x.jpg?_v=1521956582

its funny how panasonic is the more video orientated camera but olympus lenses are better for video with the manual clutch and look better too

9 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Yeah I feel you on the organic feel, Every camera that has been released since the pocket, as felt less organic to me as well. I think it started with the C300 II.

I totally agree. 

For indoor/poor lighting, the C300ii wins hands down. With nice light, it is debatable and some might even prefer the bmpcc for softer, more filmic qualities. I still can't believe how a camera so small can perform so well. Been rocking with the Metabones and 35mm F2 IS. Really nice combo. 

• Super Members
22 minutes ago, BenEricson said:

I don't think that is totally accurate. I sold mine used for 650 about a year or more after the sale. The pocket was steady around 700 until maybe the last 6-12 months. The fire sale was like 3/4 years ago.

The deals you can get on packages are incredible right now. I just bought one with a speed booster and cage for 630.

I've bought and sold 7 bmpcc since the fire sale so I think its pretty accurate. You gotta know how to negotiate. But thats OT. 

Lets get back to the bmpcc4k.

After seeing a piece that John did with Oly glass (I think maybe an Oly 4/3 zoom too?) and an EM I got really interested in trying more of their glass.

I already had the original 12-40 and 40- 150 but decided to add the 25mm 1.2

These are just great lenses from a build, IQ, Contrast and color, af and manual focus - they've got it all and I'm really looking forward using them on the new P4k for a lot of work.

I can see having one with the 12-40mm on it pretty much all the time.

Also, the the tiny Oly 12mm, 45mm 1.8 and 75mm are really great lenses too.

Just wanted to add that shooting with MB adapters and big glass a lot, there's something really liberating about shooting MFT cameras with native MFT glass.

4 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

I've bought and sold 7 bmpcc since the fire sale so I think its pretty accurate. You gotta know how to negotiate. But thats OT. 

Lets get back to the bmpcc4k.

Sweden doesn't count as general concensus. ? It is one of the most expensive countries to roam around in, yet one of the best for getting electronics at a bargain price. Still can't grasp how that's a thing. ?  Maybe people there buy the latest and greatest and consider there previous gear 'old worthless junk'.