Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 minutes ago, mercer said:

Not too bad at all. The color looks high end!!! But still maybe missing some of the depth and thickness of the OG Pocket and Micro.

Where's the magic? ? 

Must be something to do with current sensor tech, but it doesn't have that organic feel that you see in the BMPCC and GH2. (just like most of the current crop of cameras). Also is it just me or does 180 degree shutter make everything look videoey?  On the Gh5 I try not to shoot at 180 degrees, it looks like poo. 

EDIT: for the price its still bloody amazing, though and I met yet still get one ?

4 minutes ago, gethin said:

Where's the magic? ? 

Must be something to do with current sensor tech, but it doesn't have that organic feel that you see in the BMPCC and GH2. (just like most of the current crop of cameras). Also is it just me or does 180 degree shutter make everything look videoey?  On the Gh5 I try not to shoot at 180 degrees, it looks like poo. 

EDIT: for the price its still bloody amazing, though and I met yet still get one ?

So what do you shoot at?

14 minutes ago, gethin said:

Where's the magic? ? 

Then stay with the pocket :) This looks pretty high-end to me. The color is certainly better than the Panasonic variants of this sensor. I am actually quite impressed. Given the price, so far the images more than match some of the higher end cameras, unless you are being extremely picky (looking for details in extreme shadows), which to me is nonsense.   

On Vimeo you can download the file. So that is a plus. I think it looks damn good. I don't think we are going to see the same look as the original BMPCC when it is shot in 4K. But I doubt it is ever going to look exactly the same, whether for better or worse. Like it or not, that was some great looking skin tones, and impressive DR.

But yeah I agree somewhat about the thickness. But I want to see 1080p also. That is where it might compare better.

48 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

Vimeo link if you prefer:

Thank you @CaptainHook. This is my next camera. Most likely it already was but this was the icing on the cake. Just gorgeous. (My GH5 will be listed on eBay in 5, 4, 3....).

Please also thank everyone there at Blackmagic and Mr Petty. This is simply stunning. We are so blessed and spoiled as filmmakers. I wish all the best to BM and hope they sell an absolute shit ton of these. I hope BM makes so much money that Mr Petty gets to swim naked in his vault of money like Scrooge McDuck.

For those looking for the OG mojo. I think what you are after is nostalgia. However, I think what BM is delivering is actually a higher calling or standard, and the nostalgic look can still be had, it's just not default ooc. For further proof, have a re-look at @John Brawley's UM launch video. Clean and modern and spot on. Now have a look at Olan Collardy. His work screams of beautiful nostalgia. 

Looking for magic?.... make it. BM cameras won't hold you back in the least.

So happy. 

1 hour ago, CaptainHook said:

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K ‘Models Walking in Daylight’

John Brawley talks about the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K for the first time. ‘Models Walking in Daylight’ is his first camera test where he checked out the camera’s ability to handle different skin tones.

“The whole point to this daylight test was to see how the camera handled skin tones. We were shooting these scenes later in the afternoon, so I was at ISO1000 or 1250, so it was at the lower ISO for this camera. I understand this gives more in dynamic range, so you have a little bit more highlight-headroom there. When I look at those shots now, I am really impressed at how good the dynamic range is. It is great to see all of that detail I was seeing was actually captured in those shots.”

“I don’t think people realize how easy it is to make things look cinematic with Micro Four Thirds! I know that there are a lot of people who like that 35mm full frame look, but it’s still very easy to get images with an out of focus background with the Micro Four Thirds sensor. I found it a great 4K sensor and really good compromise for a small camera that still gets really, really good looking pictures.”

Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
Apple ProRes 422 HQ 
ISO1000 and 1250
Olympus Pro 25, 45, 1.2 micro and Olympus Pro 12-100 F4 zoom Micro Four Thirds lenses

Went to their Vimeo account and downloaded the upload file for this to see the least compressed version instead of youtube. I have been working a lot with the GH5s since they came out this year and in middle of coloring 2 projects with them. I can diffidently tell the noise pattern and grain feel the same or close. This seems little sharper maybe the lack of OLPF and IR filter. Colors seem little nicer, but at first glance feel very similar. I might rent one when they come out and compare there differences. At the end of the day I will probably stick with the GH5S no matter what, I have had to many projects with blackmagic cameras failing on me and really ruined working relationships with producers and directors on those projects.  

Seeing Mark Wyatt’s and John Brawley’s work back-to-back in the space of two days - it just doesn’t get much better than that. Skin tones - absolutely gorgeous; dynamic range and highlight roll off - check!; shadows clean as a whistle - check! This P4K is the real deal, folks, not some marketing BS. 

1 hour ago, CaptainHook said:

“I don’t think people realize how easy it is to make things look cinematic with Micro Four Thirds! [...]”

John sure makes it look easy. And Blackmagic is killing it.

So, not to rain on my own parade, but I have been concerned about moire with this cam since no olpf. Should be better than og pocket and bmcc I'd guess, but....

Check out John Brawleys video. The AC vent in the upper left hand corner is definitely showing some issues. :( 

Will be interesting to see more footage and reviews of this.

The third party olpf's will be coming soon I bet.

Still a great camera.

5 minutes ago, Myownfriend said:

I'm looking at the PreRes footage in Resolve and all I'm seeing there is chroma noise.

Oh man. You're right. I was watching the prores footage as well but quicktime was downscaling it and I was getting moire from that.

Just opened and viewed the prores file at 100% in AE and no moire. Phew!

Still interested in the moire thing though. I wonder if JB or Captain Hook would be able to comment on that. 

I'm sold! This camera will be the perfect companion for my A7III. Pocket 4K for narrative and low budget commercial work. A7III for photography, low light, events and more "video" projects.

The only thing it's that I'm not gonna be a early adopter. BMD has not a good record on launch (delivery, sensor problems, updates, etc) so I'll wait until all problems, pros and cons are well documented. Maybe 6 months are enough?

@John Brawley - Love the clip, nice one. Having used it youself now, how do you feel it will match up to the bigger cameras you use in your work. You've said you use the original pocket often, and other people have said this is missing that kind of mojo. In the real world, does that make matching it to it's bigger brothers any different?

Will you be ditching the OG pocket for this on your shoots?

EDIT: Also @CaptainHook, do you know is there any validity in B&H's new release date? (Oct 5th)