Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

From a News Shooter article. At the very bottom in the comments. They were shooting a 82 ft wide screen in 5.4k.  https://www.newsshooter.com/2017/06/13/why-shoot-raw/

jpgentry • a year ago

Did you consider the URSA 4.6 RAW 4:1 for your shoot at the zoo?

Ben Allan Acs jpgentry • a year ago

Yes, that was my original plan. When we tested it we found that it was just possible to see some artifacts with the extreme size. For everything up to 4k cinema though, 4:1 should be fine.

So I guess It isn't going to be a Arri Alexa SXT for 1299 bucks, or is it? ?

35 minutes ago, CaptainHook said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAbB4dQOz4I

Mark Wyatt talks about using the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K. ‘Nature’ is Mark’s test of the camera’s 4K performance in the extreme lighting conditions of rainforests and ravines.

“The camera tests I wanted to do were in the forests and waterfalls on the outer West Coast of Canada. I was really interested in seeing how the new sensor would handle these harsh lighting conditions. By increasing the ISO to an impressive 1250 and 2500, it allowed me to capture the dark moss-lined walls and unique emerald color, yet also hold onto the highlight detail of the top of the waterfall and sky. I feel most cameras would likely struggle with this scene.”

“I had the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K for only a few days, but overall I was really impressed by it. The weight of the camera is very liberating, especially when you are used to using larger camera systems. The screen is big and bright enough to use in daylight, which I found great for judging focus and exposure. And, the colors too on the screen, were also nicely represented. In fact, I would argue it is Blackmagic’s best screen yet.”

RAW 
ISO400, 1250 and 2500 
Sigma 18-35mm, Rokinon Cine 50mm EF lenses
Metabones Speedbooster to Micro Four Thirds

Looks nice, but nothing the original pocket couldn't do? Especially only seeing this a 1080p version. 

The highlights seem to be clipping harder/differently than the original pocket. Looks more like the GH5 than the BMPCC to me.

2 minutes ago, BenEricson said:

Looks nice, but nothing the original pocket couldn't do? Especially only seeing this a 1080p version. 

The highlights seem to be clipping harder/differently than the original pocket. Looks more like the GH5 than the BMPCC to me.

It's uploaded in 4K also it's difficult to know how the original would compare with out actually being their and testing it out. That being said, the original but in 4K is still excellent.

Well, I shot this short/test for fun last summer with the GH5 with similarish content and conditions. Maybe some value in comparing the two.

I think I intentionally went 'darker' with my CC, but if I had to guess I'd say the P4K has more range than the GH5.

Here's one of the initial released videos from the URSA mini with similar content shot by the same guy the P4K footage above. There's something magical about these images. Can't compare the two cameras. But good for reference.

35 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

Well, I shot this short/test for fun last summer with the GH5 with similarish content and conditions. Maybe some value in comparing the two.

I think I intentionally went 'darker' with my CC, but if I had to guess I'd say the P4K has more range than the GH5.

Here's one of the initial released videos from the URSA mini with similar content shot by the same guy the P4K footage above. There's something magical about these images. Can't compare the two cameras. But good for reference.

I think what I’m seeing is a similarity in the highlight roll off, not necessarily a DR similarity with the GH5. With that being said, I enjoyed your impromptu family short film.

The Ursa Footage is in a different category than the P4K, as it should be, but I definitely think this is some quality first footage for the P4K. That midday sun, in the middle of the woods is a bitch on almost any sensor.

2 minutes ago, mercer said:

I think what I’m seeing is a similarity in the highlight roll off, not necessarily a DR similarity with the GH5. With that being said, I enjoyed your impromptu family short film.

The Ursa Footage is in a different category than the P4K, as it should be, but I definitely think this is some quality first footage for the P4K. That midday sun, in the middle of the woods is a bitch on almost any sensor.

I'm thinking Wyatt did no favors for the P4K with the TOD he chose. That's it. Same great composition, just doesn't feel right. The last series of shots on the beach particularly is not flattering for the P4K. But I don't think it would do any cameras any favors.

Thanks @CaptainHook for sharing this with us. Please don't take my comments as a complaint. I'm encouraged actually. I think Wyatt's footage with different light or weather would be vastly improved. But actually, this was hard conditions for the camera and they still look great. I'm betting footage from this camera is going to keep getting better. Can't wait to see skin.

34 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Trees... ? Seven months plus waiting for footage and their first footage is of trees?

I think you added like 3 months. Also you don't need a film to show it off. This was high dynamic range footage of trees, water, and caves. You're acting like they gave you test charts.

2 hours ago, Myownfriend said:

It's uploaded in 4K also it's difficult to know how the original would compare with out actually being their and testing it out. That being said, the original but in 4K is still excellent.

Yeah it's 4K on my computer. But yeah it is not BMPCC looking, but it didn't have 4K either, so we don't really know yet?

1 hour ago, Myownfriend said:

I think you added like 3 months. Also you don't need a film to show it off. This was high dynamic range footage of trees, water, and caves. You're acting like they gave you test charts.

It's just that I was really looking forward to seeing a real demo of what this camera can do... motion cadence, skin tones etc... it's difficult to gauge with this footage. I'm sure more footage is coming,  but this was a pretty underwhelming first demo 

12 minutes ago, DBounce said:

It's just that I was really looking forward to seeing a real demo of what this camera can do... motion cadence, skin tones etc... it's difficult to gauge with this footage. I'm sure more footage is coming,  but this was a pretty underwhelming first demo 

Same. I'm sure there will be other footage released in the coming days or weeks showcasing skin tones and low-light.

4 hours ago, CaptainHook said:

RAW 
ISO400, 1250 and 2500 
Sigma 18-35mm, Rokinon Cine 50mm EF lenses
Metabones Speedbooster to Micro Four Thirds

I think it looks good. He could have pushed those shadows a little in his grade to make it a little less harsh and contrasty though.

i do see the cadence in the water though, i wonder what shutter angle it was shot and if that had anything to do with it. 

I’m glad I’ll have both the OG-pocket and this one when it finally comes.

6 hours ago, Jonesy Jones said:

Hattie Mae is so brilliant actress! And I think you did wonderful job so nicely taming the modern oversharpness. Darker mood need darker grading - just it made comparison with Ursa's clip harder because of different atmosphere... I just regret that you didn't somehow, for the sake of the fake game-test, change signature of used cameras... Sorry to say, but I have impression that just seeing the name of Ursa vs GH5 makes impression on some commenting... which, in a case of Hattie Mae's showcase movie is not true because of modest DR request in the scene that provide possibility that GH5 clip looks to me much more OLPFish.