Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

From Arri website.

"The Dual Gain Architecture simultaneously provides two separate read-out paths from each pixel with different amplification. The first path contains the regular, highly amplified signal. The second path contains a signal with lower amplification, to capture the information that is clipped in the first path. Both paths feed into the camera's A/D converters, delivering a 14 bit image for each path. These images are then combined into a single 16 bit high dynamic range image".

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks @webrunner5..  @Mokara Never underestimate what very smart people can do with digital signal processing.  In audio, where CD and the standard delivery formats are 16-bit audio but very common sources of sound are hugely more dynamic and have to be crazily processed before recording (eg, an orchestra), audio engineers have managed to develop very sophisticated ways to dither and add noise so that the performance of 16-bit is stretched considerably.

It's almost a black art in some ways, but the results speak for themselves on a good system.  I'm not sure how much of that body of knowledge is applicable to video but there's definitely a lot of experience to draw from.

Oh I would argue Rec.709, BT.709, which has been steadily updated from the original Rec Rec. BT.601-5 in 1995, is an amazing color space for what little DR it has. It just goes to show what "very smart people can do with digital signal processing". It is surprisingly pretty darn good looking even on a 4K TV. On a small screen in our home less is required than most people think.

Oh no doubt Rec.2020 will be the Standard in the near future, and we will wonder how we could have watched stuff in Rec.709. ?

5 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

From Arri website.

"The Dual Gain Architecture simultaneously provides two separate read-out paths from each pixel with different amplification. The first path contains the regular, highly amplified signal. The second path contains a signal with lower amplification, to capture the information that is clipped in the first path. Both paths feed into the camera's A/D converters, delivering a 14 bit image for each path. These images are then combined into a single 16 bit high dynamic range image".

My mistake.

Two 14 bit image streams, not 12 bit with regard to Arri.

BMD are the same with dual gain sensors, there are two 11 bit streams that are processed and merged into a single 16 bit lin image.

JB

My theory on no official footage yet is more likely lack of budget to hire people on Blackmagic's part, like what "bigger" companies such as Panasonic did when they announced GH5s by handing it to Casey Neistat, Neumann and other filmmakers.

23 minutes ago, Django said:

damn still zero footage from this cam?! NAB feels like 6 months ago lol.. i sure hope for those on pre-order this isn't going turn into another Ursa mini situation where the cam came out like a year after being announced..

Yeah, it’s weird that they haven’t even made an new announcement at all as well. They keep showing it at different venues but no new official information. Is anyone out there using it yet? Give us hints

On 8/8/2018 at 4:30 AM, Cinegain said:

Stores here are reporting stock is expected first week of next month.

Just in time for my birthday then. ?  Would've been nice to see some footage/reviews before ordering though...

Hum, seems one store has updated that to the 24th of September.?

This is not abnormal for BM. I think other than Ursa Mini Pro, there were delays on all, or most of their camera releases. The BMMCC was the same way and it wasn’t released for almost a year after it was announced.

You guys gotta remember that BM is a small company and what they offer is revolutionary in price and specs, it takes time to develop these cameras. And due to the schedules of NAB, I assume they need to announce products when they’ll get the most eyes. 

If we follow the Micro’s timeline, short films and footage was realeased approximately 6 weeks to 2 months before cameras were stocked in the stores.

Also, there is a good possibility that there will be issues with the cameras when first released... FPN, magenta issues, etc... but BM has a brilliant track record of fixing all of the issues with their cameras, so rest easy and know when the P4K is released and any issues are addressed, you’ll own a brilliant cinema camera for pennies on the dollar.

I have one on order, but have been telling myself not to expect it until 2019. If I get it earlier, yahoo! I also predicted that this thread would grow to over 100 pages before any sample video would be seen. Now I think it might be 200.

It would be nice if someone from BM would give us an update. Give us some real numbers of when we'll see some sample footage and give us a legit timeframe as to when they will start to ship. It's the least they could do for their customer base.

Where are you BM?

1 hour ago, ajay said:

I have one on order, but have been telling myself not to expect it until 2019. If I get it earlier, yahoo! I also predicted that this thread would grow to over 100 pages before any sample video would be seen. Now I think it might be 200.

It would be nice if someone from BM would give us an update. Give us some real numbers of when we'll see some sample footage and give us a legit timeframe as to when they will start to ship. It's the least they could do for their customer base.

Where are you BM?

BMD said September. 

Can we wait until at least October 1st before starting discussions like this. It's a little boring. 

Even if they are late, so what?  Assuming you learned from history and didn't schedule any projects around it you should be ok to wait.  and then once it's out, it's not going to be like the cameras from PaSoCaNikon where they become obsolete in a year or two.  4K60 RAW isn't going to be upstaged at any point in the near future - the Pocket 1 still looks gorgeous!

6 hours ago, scultive said:

My theory on no official footage yet is more likely lack of budget to hire people on Blackmagic's part, like what "bigger" companies such as Panasonic did when they announced GH5s by handing it to Casey Neistat, Neumann and other filmmakers.

I don’t know. Blackmagic always had the best beta crews with Captain Hook, John Brawley, Kholi, and (maybe) Olan Collardy. 

Black Magic has 2 x booths at IBC Exhibit September 14th-18th.  The IBC Conference starts on the 13th so there could be announcements by then to help people plan to stop by the booth.  It would be hard to believe that Black Magic will not have a demo video of the Pocket 4K on display at IBC.  They will also most likely give an updated shipping date if it isn't or won't ship by the end of September.  I would also like to see Black Magic update the Blackmagic Micro Studio Camera 4K with Pocket 4k sensor and a Pro Rez RAW output, while they are at it.  Providing a much wider field of view for those behind the backboard shots as they advertise on their website...

I would also like to see a URSA Broadcast m4/3 with the Pocket 4k sensor and a B4 2.1x USRA Mini Pro Mount as standard issue announced at IBC.

9 hours ago, wyrlyn said:

I expected this unfortunately ?

n.JPG

The answer doesn't specify if we'll be able to do uncompressed at 60 fps.  If we can't, it might be write speed to the card that's the limitation.  

4:1 should still be pretty good though?

I don't think the difference is going to be too noticeable other than side to side. Sure Heavy VFX may suffer a bit, but yeah kind of sucks, but what other camera can we afford that even does 4K Raw that is modern!

URSA & URSA Mini

4608 x 2592
CinemaDNG RAW - 513MB/s
CinemaDNG RAW 3:1 - 180 MB/s
CinemaDNG RAW 4:1 - 135 MB/s