Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

9 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Well, the distortion and vignetting is on the edge of the frame, but if you cropping the edge of the frame out anyway, and using only the middle of the sense, it doesn't matter if you have vignetting. the 8mm fisheye was made for APS-C cameras, so there won't be any vignetting on an MFT camera anyway :) I would test when the camera arrives, but I sold the lens a while ago.

Yeah that makes sense. Boy a lot of questions and very few concrete answers on this thing. He said she said thingy. I sure hope this thing is not a Turd LoL. This thing is going to be one of those, I told you so, or Holly Crap it is great! ?

I think it will end up being both to different peoples expectations. This isn't going to be a camera you give your Mom for Christmas!

What.gif

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Anaconda_ said:

I really hope the answer refers to shooting 120fps.

I was under the impression normal 1080p (up to 60p) was no sensor crop, so 1.9x 'relative to Full Frame 35mm'

1385347165_ScreenShot2018-08-22at07_11_56.thumb.png.cc8ad6a23e26523909f04dba34c77103.png

Look at the question though. They're talking about raw HD. All 4k Blackmagic cameras that I've used crop from the sensor when using a lower resolution in raw (since they don't downsample in raw), and downsample instead (meaning no crop) in Prores. Grant Petty said HD was downsampled in one interview.

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Raw HD must by definition be cropped. 

This is true for all cameras. 

(unless it is a native HD sensor)

FS700 Raw output does not have a crop when shooting 2K @240fps despite it having a 4K sensor. Although it is known that Sony does a small amount of processing on its RAW out. 

29 minutes ago, Tone1k said:

FS700 Raw output does not have a crop when shooting 2K @240fps despite it having a 4K sensor. Although it is known that Sony does a small amount of processing on its RAW out. 

I guess I should have been more comprehensive in my response:
Cropping/skipping. (in a way... skipping is still "cropping"! Just spread out across the whole sensor what you are cropping out)

48 minutes ago, kye said:

Column / line skipping perhaps?

If so, the moire should confirm it pretty easily..

Yes, there is a little moire in certain situations when shooting 2K@240fps.

For the most part it's not an issue and with 4k up to 120p, I rarely use the 2K feature but personally I prefer Sony's implementation to a 4x crop. 

5 hours ago, Tone1k said:

Yes, there is a little moire in certain situations when shooting 2K@240fps.

For the most part it's not an issue and with 4k up to 120p, I rarely use the 2K feature but personally I prefer Sony's implementation to a 4x crop. 

I prefer the crop. Line skipping introduces a ton of issues and drops the overall quality. With cropping all you have to do is simply use a wider lens. Plus for some reason Sony's implementation of it tends to exaggerate the moire, but I guess you could argue that's more of a OLPF issue... 

3 hours ago, Joek said:

I prefer the crop. Line skipping introduces a ton of issues and drops the overall quality. With cropping all you have to do is simply use a wider lens. Plus for some reason Sony's implementation of it tends to exaggerate the moire, but I guess you could argue that's more of a OLPF issue... 

In use, it's really not an issue 95% of the time and saves having to switch to stupidly wide lenses. 

44 minutes ago, Savannah Miller said:

5DIII uses pixel-binning.  That generally does not artifact like line skipping does.

True. Though I find the image quality still isn't as sharp as it could be when using it in 3x crop mode. But binning does theoretically average out a lot of the noise, so in a way I suppose the image is cleaner. 

11 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

It has a 5" screen and does ProRes, Raw internal. What would a recorder bring? Now yeah a high nit one would be nice.

Basically @photographer-at-large wants a BMD VA with a brighter screen. 

5 hours ago, Joek said:

In an ideal world you would be able to pick from either option:

Line skipping when you want to not bother about needing to change lenses .

And cropping for when you think moire might be an issue in that particular scene. 

1 minute ago, IronFilm said:

Basically @photographer-at-large wants a BMD VA with a brighter screen. 

Yeah but how bright is the screen going to be on the PK4? I find 4K VA too much money now for what you get, and 7" to boot. You know it will be even more if it has a better screen. And the 5" one at only 1080p ain't making it in this day and age, and it is pretty expensive also.

3 hours ago, Savannah Miller said:

5DIII uses pixel-binning.  That generally does not artifact like line skipping does.

Pixel binning isn't really raw now is it. As that is processing being done. 

1 minute ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah but how bright is the screen going to be on the PK4? I find 4K VA too much money now for what you get, and 7" to boot. You know it will be even more if it has a better screen. And the 5" one at only 1080p ain't making it in this day and age, and it is pretty expensive also.

How quickly we get greedy and lose wider context!

With all the tools the BMD VA, even without the recorder built in, the BMD VA is still a pretty sharply priced screen!

And with the built in recorder that just makes it even more of a killer deal. 

Before the BMD VA came out then even 1080 recorders still were fairly pricey. So when you look back, the BMD VA looks like even more of a killer deal. 

And even 1080 still is handy for a number of folks, for instance:
1) various 1080 camera owners: C100 / F3 / etc
2) for on set playback to check shots, you can use this in the video village to get playback on the spot without needing to get the camera crew to do it for you
3) for on set proxies to be made immediately for later use after wrap

• Yeah but for 200 bucks more you can buy the Atomos Ninja V and it does 4K 60P and BT2020, and it is 1000 nits. Seems like a better long term deal to me. Sure no SDI port but how many people Need that and they are adapters to do that workaround.

Hey all this stuff is changing fast as hell. Sure some of the older stuff works with the older stuff. But you are behind the curve as soon as you buy that stuff. Then in a year or two you can't give it away.

That is just progress, new better products coming out every year. 

But I mean, is it even shipping yet? I think maybe not, is still in pre order status on B&H, which means for right now the BMD VA is still arguably the "best" option you can buy today