Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

8 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Well, that's already been answered a while ago. it'll be 1.9x crop. I was just pointing out that they've been doing some testing with the non-camera-specific speedboosters, hich is promising... will likely save Metabones from making a new one specially, and current owners having to buy new ones to fit. Win win.

Exactly, so... it's wider. So if you're using a FOCAL REDUCER... it gets even wider than before. The 0.64x of course is more limiting in that way than the 0.71x. Therefor it's not the same as fitting two of the same shoes. This is terms is more like: you might have a comfortable fit in a size 46... but that doesn't mean size 42 will work for ya. And as it's doing the same trick as the GH5S, which has probably already been tested for compatibility by a number of people... you should check YouTube videos , blogs and forums for answers, as they already might be out there.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Maybe so.

But when asked if it were possible to use a larger capacity battery, three different people tell me the Pocket uses thermoelectric cooling, which was confusing: after all, what did that have anything to do with using a larger capacity battery?

Then I realized they were all hearing something like “why can’t the Pocket 4K run for 3 hours on a single battery like Lumix”?

Which is not what I was asking at all. Sorry for the confusion!

Additionally, pointing out opportunities like a smartphone app for the P4K (which I’m assuming it doesn’t have), is not the same as trashing the camera.

But some here think I’m a fanboy and hear what they want to hear.

They're talking about the cooling and the boards on the new Pocket because THOSE are what negatively affect the battery life when compared to the GH5S, not the battery its actual capacity. The LP-E6N has a capacity of about 1800mAh, where the DMW-BLF19 has a battery life of about ... 1800mAh.

There is a limit to how much juice can be squeezed reliably (and affordably) out of a battery. Sony's latest FZ100 seems to be class-leading at the moment with about 2200mAh. So no, manufacturers cannot simply "use a larger capacity battery". Instead they look for ways to decrease energy use of the device itself. These are not always viable: the Pocket needs more energy- consuming cooling than a GH5S because of its much higher bitrates. Alternatively, Blackmagic didn't NEED to use more power consuming boards but they opted to do so for financial and pipeline reasons. Which to me seem like small trade offs (switching batteries takes like five seconds and I shoot in a way where this is not a problem at all), however I can see how some might find this a downside.

4 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

1497378442_ScreenShot2018-08-14at09_12_33.png.104ad66b5b8f9470bb26147376600152.png

Does anyone know if the API supports a live view function?  Even if it's not that fast it would still be useful for framing, especially for people who are operating the camera but are also in front of it, like vloggers, or people who are acting in their own productions.

• Super Members
30 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

They are open to people developing their own apps though, so maybe that's something we'll see in the future ( @BTM_Pix ?)

It will be in the very near future after the camera is released as its the final one of the three protocol sets (Panasonic, Sony and BM) that my controller will launch with.

I've actually just about finished a dedicated Leica version (in a different form factor) which will likely be available first depending on when I have access to the Pocket 4K

29 minutes ago, kye said:

Does anyone know if the API supports a live view function?  Even if it's not that fast it would still be useful for framing, especially for people who are operating the camera but are also in front of it, like vloggers, or people who are acting in their own productions.

No, its a bluetooth control.

There are lots of cheapo 3.5" LCD HDMI USB powered screens that can be used if you want a DIY front facing selfie screen for basic framing like I've used here.

347349355_P1000194(1).thumb.jpg.cdfb2aecdc7f034b06d511c26de81826.jpg

22 hours ago, kye said:

And yes, I did notice Jon Olsson getting excited about the RED and then it not featuring much again.  I heard a mention that their camera guy had a routine of taking it out to get b-roll early in the morning when they were in Monaco before Jon had woken up, but yes, in terms of lugging it around during the day or through airports etc it's not the right camera for the job!!

It is crazy the power of RED marketing, I bet a lot of rich guys (and not so rich folks! Who borrow to the max) like Jon Olsson buy a RED only to discover it doesn't suit their current needs.

6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

It is crazy the power of RED marketing, I bet a lot of rich guys (and not so rich folks! Who borrow to the max) like Jon Olsson buy a RED only to discover it doesn't suit their current needs.

Reading the forums, you’d think no camera suits anybody’s needs; and it’s always the one at the next trade show that’s gonna be the answer to their prayers. 

7 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Reading the forums, you’d think no camera suits anybody’s needs; and it’s always the one at the next trade show that’s gonna be the answer to their prayers. 

Yeah 98% of everyone on here would be better off with a BMPCC truth be known, and 2 or 3 cheap ass Nikon MF lens. Well, and a pocket full of batteries.

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah 98% of everyone on here would be better off with a BMPCC truth be known, and 2 or 3 cheap ass Nikon MF lens. Well, and a pocket full of batteries.

... and some extra lights, and an external monitor, and an external audio recording device, and a speed booster to compensate for the difference in sensor size etc....

Not to say that the pocket doesn't produce a fine image under the right conditions, but the Pocket 4k is the camera that 98% of the users here would more likely be satisfied with shooting with 2 or 3 cheap ass Nikon MF lens. Well, and a pocket full of batteries... and an inexpensive shot gun mic... and a hand full of inexpensive lights...

Anyways, back to wishing the Pocket 4k had a tilt/flip screen and a second phantom powered mini-xlr mic input and bigger battery... not! I'll take it as it is as soon as it is available.

10 minutes ago, jagnje said:

Why nikon when you have c mount and s16 lenses? No speedboster needed.

Isn't C Mount limited to those small 25mm though?

I have an old Sony 12.5 - 75mm 1.8 c-mount and on my GX80 it's full circle of vignette throughout the whole range even at 1.8,. Granted it's a physically long lens, but I don't imagine any other cameras cropping enough to cut out the black circle around the image.

These are quick frame grabs at 12.5 (first) and 75 (second):

627747419_ScreenShot2018-08-14at20_58_38.thumb.png.9069eba6f891f659eaa4e2e208972449.png

2138085924_ScreenShot2018-08-14at20_58_44.thumb.png.6ee9ce4da92015cd3e9d85a5ec3df6d9.png

C-mount can be for a number of difference sensor size 1/2", 2/3", 1" etc... so a 1" is like Super 16.  1" will (and 2/3" should?) cover the center chop 1080p 120 slow-motion window or a you could use a B4 lens with Abakus 132 adapter etc. As the magnification of the Abakus 132 adapter is 1.32x then a 2/3"  B4 lens becomes .88" somewhere between 2/3" and 1" sensor coverage.  So a 4.5mm 13x Fujinon B4 Zoom is like a 24mm full frame equivalent at the wide end with a calculated 2.4 f-stop (1.8f x 1.32) through the majority of the zoom range.

Super 16 would be fine ergonomically.  Some of the smaller c-mount lens can be difficult to turn to the focus and aperture rings in realtime due to their size. There are some c-mount TV zoom lens by Canon and Fujinon that have nice ergonomics but tend to be on the long side as they were for TV studios.

Adapting B4 lens like a broadcast B4 lenses or B4 cinema lenses would have good ergonomics. The cinema B4 lenses (Zeiss DigiPrime, DigiZooms, Fujinon HAE, Fujinon HAC, Canon, and Cooke) are the best to focus with due to the longer focus throws and being designed for minimal focus breathing... but you need an optical adapter to compensate for the lack of a prism in the optical path or they are soft wide open with chromatic aberration at the wide end.  That's why Black Magic offers the USRA MINI B4 mount with optical adapter (sold separately) for the USRA Mini Pro and includes the B4 4k USRA MINI mount with optical adapter (not currently sold separately - hopefully they will announce it for sale separately at IBC in September - as these B4 mounts have different optical magnifications 1.1x and 1.4x  respectively, so they cover different size sensor crops) as the standard mount for the USRA Broadcast.