Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, LtJTMarsh said:

there was a hot deal few days ago for the T5, anyone know if you can get curly USB C cable ?

I got it during the deal. This is all you get. USB C to C and USB C to A cables.

3EEA620A-8F9F-48A2-BDFE-A192A7FCB6F8.jpeg

Saved me on my vacation last week when I had to do some major color changes on my new music video coming live in a week. Shot solely handheld on BMPCC with 2 lenses. I’ll post it here when it’s live! Such a beast, BMPCC4K can only be better!

8sinn is building cable clamps that go on the pocket 4K and hold the cable in place.

you could also get a usb-c right angle extender and find some solution to hold that in place as it will be very rigid as well as provide an entirely new port to plug and unplug the cable from, preventing damage to the camera.  CFast is way more elegant, but USB is not too bad for long recording on a tripod where the camera won't be moved or touched that often.

1 hour ago, Savannah Miller said:

8sinn is building cable clamps that go on the pocket 4K and hold the cable in place.

you could also get a usb-c right angle extender and find some solution to hold that in place as it will be very rigid as well as provide an entirely new port to plug and unplug the cable from, preventing damage to the camera.  CFast is way more elegant, but USB is not too bad for long recording on a tripod where the camera won't be moved or touched that often.

How can you be so sure of yourself when you have never recorded by USB-C? And why does BMD keep publishing photos of someone actually holding the drive in their hands? Strange marketing...

For example, I see several filmmakers have already had troubles with the HDMI port and mic input on their a7 III. And Fuji’s X-T2 has issues with monitoring externally when shooting F-log. In other words, we can’t know anything until the camera is actually released.

It's the same tech that's in their Ursa Mini SSD recorder, only difference is it's a USB connection instead of SDI.  Provided you do nothing to damage the cable or port, I see no reason it would be unreliable.  Using it handheld is maybe more of an issue, but sitting on a tripod recording a 2 hour event is probably less of an issue.

It does seem to be a flimsy connection, so if it's clamped down and you don't move the camera you should be okay. Blackmagic always shows ridiculous scenarios for their products as more to show off the features rather than practical usage.

Like this is totally not how narrative episodic television is shot. Huge cables dangling everywhere

episodic-md.jpg

8 minutes ago, Savannah Miller said:

Like this is totally not how narrative episodic television is shot. Huge cables dangling everywhere

For a super low budget shoot (as wireless is pricey!) this is not unusual at all. 

Why is he using batteries if his camera is plugged in?

And I guess you're right.  If you're sitting on a tripod or a gear head, maybe cables everywhere is less of an issue.

I am betting Blackmagic either comes out with some more audio gear, or some sort of wireless video given the price can be made more affordable and there is a huge need for market disruption.

37 minutes ago, Savannah Miller said:

Why is he using batteries if his camera is plugged in?

I was just about to say "it is not plugged in" but I took a second look, that might be a power cord? The black one. 

But meh, whatever, it is still very common to use an external power source *and* use a V lock battery at the same time. (the V lock means while you're moving around and setting up the next shot you will not have to power down the camera)

I'm having trouble finding the answer, so hoping someone here can help me.

Can a C.Fast 1.0 reader read a C.Fast 2.0 card?

Similarly, are we likely to be able to use C.Fast 1.0 cards in this camera? (Of course lowering the recording formats/frame sizes/frame rates etc.)

FYI: I did find that the camera's USB Type-C can be used for external drive recording, software updates and media download. So, for those wondering, like myself, readers aren't mandatory to get started.

2 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

I'm having trouble finding the answer, so hoping someone here can help me.

Can a C.Fast 1.0 reader read a C.Fast 2.0 card?

Similarly, are we likely to be able to use C.Fast 1.0 cards in this camera? (Of course lowering the recording formats/frame sizes/frame rates etc.)

FYI: I did find that the camera's USB Type-C can be used for external drive recording, software updates and media download. So, for those wondering, like myself, readers aren't mandatory to get started.

Do you own Cfast 1.0 cards?  I'm curious where you can even buy them or what cameras supported them.

2 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

I would touch that USB C port as little as humanly possible.  No way I would routinely plug it in to my computer just for downloading content.

A Sandisk CFast 2 card reader costs less than the sales tax on a 256 GB Cfast 2 card.  What are we really trying to accomplish here?

If someone doesn't have $50 they should stay far away from the Cfast 2.0 game.

3 minutes ago, Damphousse said:

I would touch that USB C port as little as humanly possible.  No way I would routinely plug it in to my computer just for downloading content.

A Sandisk CFast 2 card reader costs less than the sales tax on a 256 GB Cfast 2 card.  What are we really trying to accomplish here?

If someone doesn't have $50 they should stay far away from the Cfast 2.0 game.

Gulp!    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1317914-REG/sandisk_sdcfsp_256g_a46d_extremepro_cfast_256gb_525r.html?ap=y&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgZf_rtSw3AIV3rjACh1wyAH3EAQYAiABEgJbivD_BwE&smp=y