Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Turboguard said:

Got it! I'm only familiar with the BMPCC one and didn't recognize it. I'll still keep my hopes up for a BMPCC4K specific one!!  

From my understanding, they've been recommending the 0.71x adapter as this will get the best out of the sensor before you start vignetting on aps-c lenses.  While it might be best to wait and see what Metabones come up with, a BM rep has said this: image.thumb.png.b8b8b86e72defea8b9ad4275259a7c5c.png

9 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

Moza Air seems to work:

How is the weight limit on the Moza?

IIRC it doesn't have AF-C so you might want to put rods and follow-focus on there, which obviously would add weight, and not only that it would add weight at the front.

15 minutes ago, kye said:

How is the weight limit on the Moza?

IIRC it doesn't have AF-C so you might want to put rods and follow-focus on there, which obviously would add weight, and not only that it would add weight at the front.

Or just use a small aperture and zone focus ;) 

21 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

My dear erstwhile member can you please stop attacking John Brawley now.

I have long since given up on camera forum arguments so might not be completely up on who is right and who is wrong-evil / killed-a-kitten, but can we tone it down a bit. It's JB! We could be learning so much and having such interesting cameras talks with a film industry guy and I am sure one of the only people with a Blackmagic Pocket 2 prototype yet instead a handful of you are just bitching. It's pointless. Even if you disagree with him on certain matters, hold your tongue a bit for the benefit of the rest of us who are interested in what he has to tell.

Thank you. It was getting to the point where I was questioning why I even check in.

-----

Moza gimbal looks pretty cool, except the screen being partially blocked. 

BMPCC 4K have sensor's diagonal 21.44mm. Metabones 0.64x for BMCC is not suitable for BMPCC 4K because it covers image circle 18.2mm only.

Metabones Nikon G to Micro Four Thirds Speed Booster XL 0.64x have image circle 21.63mm. So it fully covers a new sensor of BMPCC 4K!

Anyone knows image circle of Metabones BMPCC 0.58x Speed Booster? I think it is smaller that IC of BMCC.

On 5/29/2018 at 9:55 AM, Don Kotlos said:

Moza Air seems to work:

Thanks.  It is nice to see what actually works vs people speculating about what won't.

22 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

From my understanding, they've been recommending the 0.71x adapter as this will get the best out of the sensor before you start vignetting on aps-c lenses.  While it might be best to wait and see what Metabones come up with, a BM rep has said this: 

Metabones will definitely come up with something.

People also need to keep in mind that there are filter stack differences between cameras.  The filter stack on the BMPCC is different than the filter stack on the GH4.  This is what metabones had to say about it...

Like all Metabones Speed Boosters, the Speed Booster ULTRA m43 is optimized to correctly account for the camera’s filter stack located near the sensor surface3.  This is especially critical at the extremely large apertures made possible by Speed Booster technology.  As a result of this careful optimization, an enormous range of full-frame optics, ranging from vintage film lenses to the latest digital designs, will function flawlessly when adapted to Micro Four Thirds camera bodies.

http://www.metabones.com/article/of/Speed_Booster_ULTRA_0.71x

No.

Brian from Metabones said he is NOT making another speedbooster.

The normal ones work fine for this camera unless Blackmagic did something unusual. Everything looks to be standard with this camera.

In terms of quality, maybe it's a better future investment to get full-frame lenses and the XL speedbooster for future proofing.  Otherwise, if you already own lenses, super35 speedbooster might be better.

4 hours ago, Savannah Miller said:

In terms of quality, maybe it's a better future investment to get full-frame lenses and the XL speedbooster for future proofing.

This is what I do now: selling Super 16 c-mount lenses which I used with the BMPCC and bought the Speed Booster XL with a full frame Tokina AT-X-Pro 28-70mm F2.6-2.8 (Poor man's Angenieux) and started to invest in a set of Leica R lenses.

13 hours ago, Savannah Miller said:

Brian from Metabones said he is NOT making another speedbooster.

The normal ones work fine for this camera unless Blackmagic did something unusual. Everything looks to be standard with this camera.

Well the "standard" practice with ALL Blackmagic cameras in this price range is to have a much thinner filter stack on their sensors than the average M43 manufacturer.  Do you have any references and links for your statement?  I wasn't aware that Blackmagic broke with tradition and increased the thickness of the filter stack just for this camera.  Where are you reading this?

CompatibilityMTF.png

2 hours ago, Snuff said:

A couple of days ago I wrote to Metabones:

"Will Speed Booster XL 0.64x m4/3 work with the BMPCC 4K or are you developing a new booster especially for the new BMPCC 4K?"

Their answer:

"Sorry! We still waiting a test with BMPCC 4K …."

Okay.  Thank you.

Savannah's post didn't make any sense and confused me.  It would be odd for Metabones to definitively decide at this date not to even look at making a camera specific speedbooster.

I'm probably not going to get the BMPCC 4k till next year.  I have one M43 kit lens and I will just use that till we get some final answers from Metabones.  We are all anxious to get started but it is better to just be patient and wait instead of spreading misinformation.

I understand their answer as they don't know exactly if their m4/3 0.64x XL Booster will work with the BMPCC 4K because they don't have a camera at the moment to make a test and don't know its specs to develop a new specific model of their Speed Booster for BMPCC 4K.

I quote Brian's words (designer of Speed Booster) from the BMCuser forum (04-13-2018):

There are already two Speed Boosters dedicated for M43: The 0.71x Ultra and the 0.64x XL. These should work very well on the 4k Pocket (4kP?) The only reason I can see for custom Blackmagic versions is if the new camera repeats the sins of the old pocket camera by having a non-standard filter pack thickness. Going to a more extreme design than the 0.64x (e.g., 0.63x or less) is a non-starter in my view because I can't maintain the image quality expected from true Speed Boosters.

BMPCC 4K have a sensor's diagonal 21.44mm. And from the Brian's words to make it clear:

Metabones 0.58x BMPCC Speed Booster was designed to cover a 14.6mm. 

Metabones 0.64x BMCC Speed Booster was designed to cover a 18.2mm.

Metabones M4/3 Speed Booster XL 0.64x was designed to cover a 21.63mm.

The discussion about the sensor stack thickness affects the optimisation of the speed booster (as I understand it)

It means they have to alter their optical design to make certain lenses perform better post speed booster, and I believe this tends to affect the faster lenses or faster apertures at F1.4 and higher.

JB

There was a post on one of the other forums where Brian said that he didn't see any need to make a speedbooster as long as Blackmagic used standard filter stack size.  He basically said he didn't want to have to make one.

As long as this is standard (which it hopefully is) then everything should be just fine.

9 hours ago, Damphousse said:

Okay.  Thank you.

Savannah's post didn't make any sense and confused me.  It would be odd for Metabones to definitively decide at this date not to even look at making a camera specific speedbooster.

I'm probably not going to get the BMPCC 4k till next year.  I have one M43 kit lens and I will just use that till we get some final answers from Metabones.  We are all anxious to get started but it is better to just be patient and wait instead of spreading misinformation.

The first camera BMCC was their ORIGINAL camera.  It's possibly they didn't think about the filter thickness or made a hybrid thickness to accommodate both EF and M4/3 mount.  The Pocket was their second, and the micro is just a variation of the original pocket design, hence it would have the same thickness.  They may even have used the same filter of the original BMCC. I doubt thickness has anything to do with cost savings and they have likely rectified this with their latest model as sensor stack thickness can also affect optical performance when not using speedboosters.

I don't know much about filters, but maybe it was made thinner because Blackmagic's IR glass lacks any low pass filtering.