Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, gethin said:

I've never pre-ordered a camera before but this is $1,585AUD in australia. Thats $1190 USD. THe gh5s is $3350.  Its insane.

BTW does anyone know weight (trying to figure out if it will fit on my gimbal).

760g body

80g roughly for battery

25g roughly for recording media

weigh your favorite lenses

Width is the real issue as it's 178mm wide, making it one of the widest cameras on the market.  It's as wide as many very big cinema cameras.

If your gimbal has both sides with bars on them it's 99% likely it will not fit.  Ronin-M/DJI M5, etc. Even single-sided gimbals like Zhiyun crane currently have problems but fixes are being implemented.

Currently the Tilta G2X and the Ronin-S are confirmed to work.

One good thing about this new camera is that it would appear that people are starting to sell off their S16 lenses - just stumbled across one seller that has started to sell off stuff & has started bids at .99p! So if you still have an original pocket or the box, this new camera could be very good news & surely the prices of S16 will go down & down & down.

8 minutes ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

One good thing about this new camera is that it would appear that people are starting to sell off their S16 lenses - just stumbled across one seller that has started to sell off stuff & has started bids at .99p! So if you still have an original pocket or the box, this new camera could be very good news & surely the prices of S16 will go down & down & down.

Until BM adds the 2.7K s16 crop in firmware 1.3. :grin:

I saw a Zeiss s16 set (well 4 of them) go for 2700ish a couple of weeks ago.

1 hour ago, TwoScoops said:

Until BM adds the 2.7K s16 crop in firmware 1.3. :grin:

I saw a Zeiss s16 set (well 4 of them) go for 2700ish a couple of weeks ago.

Hopefully, some people will have sold up by then. The inflation of prices became absolutely stupid - lots of opportunists, as always. 

Personally, I don't think they'll do a crop. Going on past form, they stick to what they release - they didn't even do an anamorphic 4:3 crop on the last Pocket, so no chance of them changing tack now (fingers crossed).

15 hours ago, Aussie Ash said:

Lol.

I don't agree with everything that was said but I did love this...

So yeah Frank, we know the price, we know the specs, what’s the point?

Good question, glad that you asked.

The Point is folks complaining all over the net, about not having a IBIS and a flip screen, in a DSLR sized raw/ProRes, internal LUT,  phantom powered XLR audio, Bluetooth controlled, dual gain, 4k, 25600 ISO night sight device, (including a high end grading, editing, audio, compositing DCP program on top of it), that comes for 1,295 bucks.

Are you guys out of your fucking mind?

What’s next? That it doesn’t come in blue?

I'm glad someone is posting this.  Honestly I don't care what people think.  I will buy or pass on a camera based on MY needs.  But for the sake of the engineers at Blackmagic it is nice for someone to point out how absurd the complaints have been after these guys and gals have done so much hard work and brought all of this to us at such a nice price point.

Of course we have to see what the actual image quality is like.  We can't comment on that one way or the other at this time.  But to complain about this HDMI, and that USB C, and this nonrotating screen, and that extra button you can easily ignore, etc. is just bizarre.

9 hours ago, kye said:

Seems like a pretty fair overview of the camera, and interesting that it's more sized like the BMCC rather than original BMPCC.

Yeah.  That graphic really illustrates the dimensions of the camera.  We had the measurements but seeing it laid out like that makes it hit close to home.

On 4/7/2018 at 10:31 AM, DaveAltizer said:

Side bar, why is there different threads above the general thread? Like black magic cameras and stuff for sale etc. more people view these general posts 

Specifically about the Blackmagic subforum...

The general posts are infested with endless speculation and shitposts. Perfect example: this thread is a 100 pages of garbage with maybe 10ish posts that are worth reading.

Subforum focus is more on technical info, especially solutions to hardware and software quirks. Juan Melara and some other awesome people will occasionally post in the subforum.

It actually works out fairly well. And more often than not a Google search will land you in the subforum. Like a library, lots of good info without the noise.

16 hours ago, Aussie Ash said:

I think Glencairn really nailed it when discussing AF and IBIS. Unlike battery life and a fully articulating screen, AF and IBIS are features that we often intentionally avoid using. 

5 hours ago, Nathan Gabriel said:

I think Glencairn really nailed it when discussing AF and IBIS. Unlike battery life and a fully articulating screen, AF and IBIS are features that we often intentionally avoid using. 

who is we? I use them all the time.

On 19/05/2018 at 5:03 PM, Savannah Miller said:

Width is the real issue as it's 178mm wide, making it one of the widest cameras on the market.  It's as wide as many very big cinema cameras.

If your gimbal has both sides with bars on them it's 99% likely it will not fit.  Ronin-M/DJI M5, etc. Even single-sided gimbals like Zhiyun crane currently have problems but fixes are being implemented.

thanks! bit heavier than gh5 then (what I currently use).  Have a crane 2, which can take the weight. saw someone adapting it using a quick release mounted at 90  degrees.  Not really a run and gun camera, but so might get one anyway 

6 hours ago, SR said:

Would love to pair the BMPCC4K with this.

33023452_2043097762630396_2059749754044153856_n.jpg

The Crane 2 is 1300 g, the follow focus above 170 g, the remote for the latter weighs 200 g.  

But: keep in mind that because you HAVE to see the image and the Zhiyun's roll motor perfectly blocks the Pocket's display, you'd then need an external monitor (but then again, with smallest battery, the smallHD Focus would add just 230 g, which would make the setup 1900 g sans camera). 

Now the final weight of the BMPCC 4k ist not yet out afaik. Because the pre-production model was made of aluminum and that will be changed to carbon fibre. So the frame itself can be 30-40 % lighter. Let's be optimistic and hope that camera, battery (80 g) and card (20g) are just under 850 g.

Now we talk about 2750 g without lens. Add your lens of choice, but don't forget IR cut filter and ND or variND.

But don't worry. Saw a tut by Brandon Washington on balancing the Canon 1DX Mark ii on the Crane 2 - needs unscrewing parts of the Zhiyun's cradle because this camera is too high. Must be even heavier. And Brandon puts on the same big Tiffen variND I'd also recommend. He carries that on a skateboard, dolly-filming his little son. 

2 hours ago, Axel said:

But: keep in mind that because you HAVE to see the image and the Zhiyun's roll motor perfectly blocks the Pocket's display, you'd then need an external monitor (but then again, with smallest battery, the smallHD Focus would add just 230 g, which would make the setup 1900 g sans camera). 

Could you mount the external monitor on the handle of the gimbal and run a (very flexible) cable to the camera?  I've seen people running cables from fixed microphones or power banks to the camera on a gimbal before and they seem to work.

230g isn't much but every bit counts! :)

1 hour ago, kye said:

Could you mount the external monitor on the handle of the gimbal and run a (very flexible) cable to the camera?  I've seen people running cables from fixed microphones or power banks to the camera on a gimbal before and they seem to work.

230g isn't much but every bit counts! :)

I guess it's not about having more weight balanced by the gimbal (the Crane 2 is strong), it's about holding all of that with only one hand. I would hate to hold 3-4kg in a single hand (considering the bad leverage when you tilt the gimbal in that hand), we're reaching levels where a two-handed gimbal would make more sense for usability.