Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This is fairly typical of what I've seen from 99.9% of original Pocket footage online (actually a little better than most) - soft and grainy; gobs of lens flare; ugly clipping of highlights; crushed shadow details; dreadful skin tones; strong cyan cast with ugly sepia tones; little to no cohesiveness; poor dynamic range; lugubrious soundtrack - much of it resembling lo-fi home movie footage shot on VHS, or worse - yet it gets oohs and aahs from viewers. It's got nothing at all to do with the cinematic look as I understand it. Yet the uploader has the pretentiousness to call it a 'film'. 

What do you think? Am I way off base? Is this the 'cinematic' look you're after? 

34 minutes ago, jonpais said:

This is fairly typical of what I've seen from 99.9% of original Pocket footage online (actually a little better than most) - soft and grainy; gobs of lens flare; ugly clipping of highlights; crushed shadow details; dreadful skin tones; strong cyan cast with ugly sepia tones; little to no cohesiveness; lugubrious soundtrack - much of it resembling lo-fi home movie footage shot on VHS, or worse - yet it gets oohs and aahs from viewers. It's got nothing at all to do with the cinematic look as I understand it. Yet the uploader has the pretentiousness to call it a 'film'. 

What do you think? Am I way off base? Is this the 'cinematic' look you're after? 

Considering the subject matter and people in this 'film', I'm guessing whoever's 'film' this is is a 13-18year old and in that regard I don't mind it and willing to cut the person some slack. 

You could say it's lowfi, and I don't love the heavy cyan cast but I remember sitting in cinemas and watching 35mm projections of blockbusters and art house films alike and loved the fact that things were never tack sharp. I loved the softness, and the grain.... These days, more and more people  expect images to be clinical, super sharp and noiseless all the time. 

1 minute ago, Tone1k said:

Considering the subject matter and people in his 'film', I'm guessing whoever's film this is is a 13-18year old and in that regard I don't mind it. 

You could say it's lowfi, and I don't love the heavy cyan cast but I remember sitting in cinemas and watching 35mm projections of blockbusters and art house films alike and loved the fact that things were never tack sharp. I loved the softness, and the grain.... These days, more and more people  expect images to be clinical, super sharp and noiseless all the time. 

Cool. I just wanted to get feedback, and I hope to hear from more forum members as well. I can enjoy anything from Vinterberg's grungy 'Festen' to Ulrich Seidl's masterful 16mm "Import Export' to whatever. 

1 minute ago, Tone1k said:

As another member suggested, I'm just going to find my own hacks to make it work. Might tap some holes in the side of the camera and use one of these....... Should be FINE! 

HDMI_Locking_Cable_Straight_Connector_Supports_1080p.jpg

Why would you need to do that when the cage will have clamps?

3 minutes ago, Tone1k said:

HDMI is all about saving money.... Not spending it on a cage ;-) 

uummm... I don't follow. If you're gonna use a monitor, you'll want a cage. Cages don't have to cost a fortune. Even if you use the threads on top of the camera, I see no reason to destroy the body just to attach a cable....

4 minutes ago, jonpais said:

uummm... I don't follow. If you're gonna use a monitor, you'll want a cage. Cages don't have to cost a fortune. 

No necessarily. I often use a monitor on a tripod. If they're using the new Atomos, you could mount that straight to the camera. Or if, like me, you're planning on using a Zacuto EVF, then you can mount that to the camera with magic arm. 

A cage is fairly low down on the list of things I'm going to get with this camera. In fact, I'm going to wait and see if someone makes a battery grip before looking at cages.

5 minutes ago, jonpais said:

uummm... I don't follow. If you're gonna use a monitor, you'll want a cage. Cages don't have to cost a fortune. Even if you use the threads on top of the camera, I see no reason to destroy the body just to attach a cable....

Sorry, I was being sarcastic.... And visicious. I wouldn't really tap holes in the side of my camera. I'll stop now.... It's late. 

3 hours ago, jonpais said:

This is fairly typical of what I've seen from 99.9% of original Pocket footage online (actually a little better than most) - soft and grainy; gobs of lens flare; ugly clipping of highlights; crushed shadow details; dreadful skin tones; strong cyan cast with ugly sepia tones; little to no cohesiveness; poor dynamic range; lugubrious soundtrack - much of it resembling lo-fi home movie footage shot on VHS, or worse - yet it gets oohs and aahs from viewers. It's got nothing at all to do with the cinematic look as I understand it. Yet the uploader has the pretentiousness to call it a 'film'. 

Like the image or not, Jon... it’s way more cinematic than any comparably priced camera... especially if you got in on the $500 Sale. The obvious issue with this specific video is the lack of IR Filter and that he slapped on an M31 LUT on top of it.

The beauty of the Pocket/Micro is that it can look however you like. Throw on one of those Veydras or Leicas you like so much and you can have a crisp modern look. Throw on a cheap lens and you can have a soft vintage look. It’s a different type of filmmaking... the entire process almost feels visceral.

You really should go out and buy one, or a Micro... they’ll be selling for cheap real soon. I saw a barely used Micro go for less than $500. After you shoot a little Raw or ProRes HQ with it... you will be hooked. 

1 hour ago, mercer said:

The beauty of the Pocket/Micro is that it can look however you like.

Yeah, and I think I've said before that the more flexible something is the harder it is to get what you want.

On a sliding scale between using Instagram (which 3-year olds can do) and shooting ARRIRAW (where professional colourists are required), this is at the difficult end and requiring the colourist skillset, however the killer aspect of this camera is that its price is at the Instagram end.

4 hours ago, jonpais said:

It's waaaay more cinematic than your tack sharp home movies of adolescent Asian students. I guess some people just can't see the difference.?

This is the video which convinced me to buy the BMPCC a few years ago. The performance footage just looked so organic and filmic. Especially when juxtaposed against the GH4 footage also used in the video. Each look has its uses and I'm not saying one is better than the other. But that particular filmic look is what I'm interested in You can't really look at this and say the BMPCC is not cinematic. 

P.S. Thank you Aaron for making it 

why are we comparing footage from a FHD camera released 5 years ago with a S16 size sensor to an upcoming camera that shoots 4K with brand new M4/3 size sensor, 4th generation color science and featuring dual native ISO?

the only thing the original pocket & the upcoming pocket 4K share in common is the "pocket" moniker and even that is misleading imo.

if anything the IQ will be closer to a GH5S without NR/Sharpening, and with BMDs Film/Log profile, color science & pro res / raw recording support.