Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

9 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Look, I've found a right angle USB C adapter.

So I'm not going to waste that bit of research and I'm all for getting another couple of pages out of discussing it now ;)

31kwZB8TlnL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

I did something similar on the original BMPCC with a straight connector for power.  Put the camera in a cage and clamped the connector in place.  Never touched the camera port after that.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

Thats what I believe as well. It is a flimsy connection, with well used ports I have drives that you touch the cable and they loose connection. It should be fine on a tripod but unless someone makes a locking version for both the camera and the drive itself I would be willing to spend more money on cfast cards just to be on the safe side. 

I would like to second that. I like USB-C a lot in theory, but in practice I've found it to be less reliable than Micro-USB. Using my MacBookPro charger on my Samsung S8, it will lose connection about 20% of the times I use it. Using my Anker cable I often have to insert it multiple times before it recognizes it.

3 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

The one Mercer and Kisaha were discussing right above my post :grin:

http://www.poweredbymushkin.com/Home/index.php/products2/item/129-swap/1320-swap-64gb-usb-3-1-type-c-flash-drive-1

I've yet to find a US⚡BC thumb drive that is fast enough to use with this camera. 

Do you mean spec-wise? Are we really sure about the final speed needed?

This is just a thumb drive, what are you able to write to this? Maybe some kind of ProRes, or nothing at all?

there are others like these, https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/plextor-ex1-portable-ssd,4956.html but it goes to T5 territory. We are not there yet for tiny, miniature SSD, and if they exist, it will take them years to be as cheap as an SD card.

8 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Do you mean spec-wise? Are we really sure about the final speed needed?

This is just a thumb drive, what are you able to write to this? Maybe some kind of ProRes, or nothing at all?

there are others like these, https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/plextor-ex1-portable-ssd,4956.html but it goes to T5 territory. We are not there yet for tiny, miniature SSD, and if they exist, it will take them years to be as cheap as an SD card.

I got the impression you guys were talking about using these thumbdrives in the camera. If you need to use UHSii SD cards, that record at 300mb/s then that thumbdrive with 56mb/s write speed isn't going to cut it. You might get LT 1080p25, but I wouldn't bother personally.

As for that one you linked, judging by the prices, $189 for 512gb, that's the same or more than the T5, so I would play it safe and just get that. They both need the cable anyway, defeating the point of looking at thumbdrives as recording media in the first place.

As has been stated though, just get internal media and be done with it. The best thing about the USBc for me is charging on the go, in the car or just in a bag if you have a powerbank.

20 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

I got the impression you guys were talking about using these thumbdrives in the camera. If you need to use UHSii SD cards, that record at 300mb/s then that thumbdrive with 56mb/s write speed isn't going to cut it. You might get LT 1080p25, but I wouldn't bother personally.

As for that one you linked, judging by the prices, $189 for 512gb, that's the same or more than the T5, so I would play it safe and just get that. They both need the cable anyway, defeating the point of looking at thumbdrives as recording media in the first place.

As has been stated though, just get internal media and be done with it. The best thing about the USBc for me is charging on the go, in the car or just in a bag if you have a powerbank.

I totally agree.

LT for some will be enough in an hour of crysis though, it is good to know that we may have the ability to use a common thumb stick as a recording media.

As I have already mentioned, I wouldn't use anything external such as an external hard drive for work, everything with a cable is more deliquate and has a significant possibility to fail.

I have a Fastcharge 3.0 that charges 85% of my phone's battery in 40 minutes, and has a 3300mAh battery. I guess could charge a camera's battery in 20minutes, if the camera has a Fastcharge 3.0 technology, which I doubt it has though.

Maybe it is better to charge on an external charger on the bag, while using the camera with other(s) batteries. That is what I do now anyway, and even if I am not using the battery I am chargin, it will be ready for next day, and I charge the powerbank at night, instead.

For anyone looking for cards, here's the specs off BM's site. It's based off 30fps, so I imagine double it for 60p?

Of course, aim higher than the numbers they suggest for the format you want:

4096 x 2160
CinemaDNG RAW - 270 MB/s 
CinemaDNG RAW 3:1 - 128 MB/s 
CinemaDNG RAW 4:1 - 96 MB/s 
3840 x 2160
Apple ProRes 422 HQ - 110 MB/s
Apple ProRes 422 - 73.6 MB/s
Apple ProRes 422 LT - 51 MB/s
Apple ProRes Proxy - 22.4 MB/s

1920 x 1080
Apple ProRes 422 HQ - 27.5 MB/s
Apple ProRes 422 - 18.4 MB/s
Apple ProRes 422 LT - 12.75 MB/s
Apple ProRes Proxy - 5.6 MB/s

19 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

For anyone looking for cards, here's the specs off BM's site. It's based off 30fps, so I imagine double it for 60p?

I can't confirm it but your assumption makes sense.

It also means trouble for what is fast enough to write to it!  RAW at 60p would be 540MB/s

Taking a look at the most expensive cards on B&H:
ARRI 512GB Extreme PRO CFast 2.0 Memory Card - 450MB/s
Angelbird 256GB AV Pro CF CFast 2.0 Memory Card - 400MB/s
Lexar 512GB Professional 3500x CFast 2.0 Memory Card - 445MB/s
ProGrade Digital 512GB CFast 2.0 Memory Card - 450MB/s

of course, sane people would just shoot compressed, but considering this thread is about specs... :glasses:

And you do wonder to what extent the Pocket 4k (and other data intensive cameras) actually drive the development of cards? The manufacturer who produces a card which meets those published specifications will certainly sell a few!

Will the thread still be going when the camera is delivered? 

• Super Members
32 minutes ago, Snowfun said:

Will the thread still be going when the camera is delivered? 

Nah, we'll have had the Photokina show by then. (At least one Photokina cos, well, you never know with BM)

That will give us a whole load of new fuel to shovel into the speculation boiler.

This will be the good ship RMS EosHD after Photokina if Canon and Nikon make their mirrorless announcement s

movie-titanic-deu-1943-director-herbert-selpin-werner-klinger-scene-bb5pgn.jpg

On 5/2/2018 at 12:55 PM, Axel said:

Thanks, kye!

Yesterday I saw this, and became so angry that I - almost - downvoted the video, something I'd never done before:

This tells me, of course, that I already am a true P4k fanboy :blush:. Be it as it may, I also watched a GH5s review (not the first one, not my last one, despite my admitted fixation to BM). It showcased the ergonomics and built quality. The vlogger said: what a pity! It's got everything I asked for, even *very good* lowlight through Dual Native ISO, but the AF sucks and no IS, epic fail!

Was again tempted to vote "thumbs down". But how had this been justified? I had bingewatched vlogger's vomit all evening!

Last report, this a funny one. About Sony A7iii, and how it smoked, killed and destroyed the whole competition. Yes, it's 'a full frame MONSTER', it has IS, it has AF, but that's the extent of it. Terrible ergonomics (as usual), threadbare 8-bit codecs, he dumb thing smokes itself. I'm allowed to say, as a Sony owner. It's a Phony.

You've got to admit that this image is pretty absurd.

Screen Shot 2018-05-03 at 10.47.04 PM.png

He's clearly indicating that just because it's got a record button in the front, you're free to walk around and vlog all day long. He is not  talking about setting the camera up on a tripod with a cage and monitor and talking to the camera from the comfort of your living room. So yes, without a forward facing screen, IBIS, or AF-C, this scenario is utterly ridiculous. As far as the cinematic look goes, this method is unlikely to yield results that will be showing at your local theater any time soon. Unless you give the patrons barf bags for when they get ill from all the camera shake, the wide angle view of your nose and the blurry image.