Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

1 minute ago, BTM_Pix said:

Yeah but we're bored waiting for it already so have to fixate on something to get the page count over the 100 mark ;)

Ok, sorry, I bet the USB C is not the best option for professional continuous video recording! Unfortunately USB C is only a bit better than classic micro (or is it mini?!) USB connections, and those were really bad. Already some of my usb c devices act up, I wouldn't trust plug/unplug such a device a lot of times per working day, and I am dead serious. I do not see such an option as a permanent recording one.

If they didn't have the option, no one would complain, and that is the Canon game!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 minute ago, Anaconda_ said:

Also discussing the practicality of a new recording media. But you're right, let's get back to talking about all the footage we've seen. :grin:

Maybe we can spend all that free time with friends and relatives, working on projects, gardening and the such. I will clean my aquariums for starters!

But, seriously, USB C is not a pro connection, for anyone on the field it will be a gamble to use such a solution on a permanent basis, but I am sure some will, and they will be solutions to that as well, but unfortunately we can't test those, because we have no cameras on our hands!

Today I was in a meeting for a new TV show, and the people there discussing buying 5 Pocket4K with the production money, and they want to start production in June! When I told them that the cameras are in "Pre Order"-status not actually on sale, they were really confused of what I meant and I sensed some hostility after my remarks!

Black Magic better has some cameras ready for September, or they will be blood. My blood!

• Super Members
9 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Ok, sorry, I bet the USB C is not the best option for professional continuous video recording!

Look, I've found a right angle USB C adapter.

So I'm not going to waste that bit of research and I'm all for getting another couple of pages out of discussing it now ;)

31kwZB8TlnL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

17 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

But, seriously, USB C is not a pro connection, for anyone on the field it will be a gamble to use such a solution on a permanent basis, but I am sure some will, and they will be solutions to that as well, but unfortunately we can't test those, because we have no cameras on our hands!

Thats what I believe as well. It is a flimsy connection, with well used ports I have drives that you touch the cable and they loose connection. It should be fine on a tripod but unless someone makes a locking version for both the camera and the drive itself I would be willing to spend more money on cfast cards just to be on the safe side. 

Yup, this camera is already big enough and it already has all the guts anyone should really need. When smallrig releases a cage for this camera, a couple extra points, should be more than enough for basic accessories. But locking cable ports should be included for those that want to rig out the Pocket 2.

Of course, I’m only interested in the 1080p ProRes frame rates, so a fast SD card or even a CFast 1.0 (if they work) should be more than enough. 

9 minutes ago, mercer said:

Of course, I’m only interested in the 1080p ProRes frame rates, so a fast SD card or even a CFast 1.0 (if they work) should be more than enough. 

Not sure if you saw my previous posts pondering the same thing. But I found CFast 2.0 readers can also read and write CFast 1.0, so I'm fairly certain the camera will too.

Atomos used 1.0 for their Ninja Star, and it can handle 1080p ProResHQ, but that device only goes up to 25/30p. I imagine you'll get at least the same with the P4K, but you might even be able to push it further. I'm hoping I can get at least 4K25p LT with the 1.0, but we'll see. 

As stated in a previous post, C.Fast 1.0 is rated at 80mb/s write speed and BM website states 4K prores422 is 73.6mb/s and LT is 51mb/s (I think based on 25p) - Am I right in assuming this looks good for C.Fast 1.0 owners?

• Super Members

14 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Not sure if you saw my previous posts pondering the same thing. But I found CFast 2.0 readers can also read and write CFast 1.0, so I'm fairly certain the camera will too.

Atomos used 1.0 for their Ninja Star, and it can handle 1080p ProResHQ, but that device only goes up to 25/30p. I imagine you'll get at least the same with the P4K, but you might even be able to push it further. I'm hoping I can get at least 4K25p LT with the 1.0, but we'll see. 

As stated in a previous post, C.Fast 1.0 is rated at 80mb/s write speed and BM website states 4K prores422 is 73.6mb/s and LT is 51mb/s (I think based on 25p) - Am I right in assuming this looks good for C.Fast 1.0 owners?

I did see that. With the Micro, 60p ProRes HQ could record to Sandisk Pro cards... surely CFast 1.0 has better write speeds than that SD card?

27 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Thank you! that is an excellent solution connecting my laptop to my USB C monitor, I was seriously searching for something similar on ebay the other day, but I wasn't sure how I could describe it. I hope I do not have to put my 27" monitor on top of that P4K thread, for monitoring purposes!

There are surprisingly just a few options on ebay. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=USB+C+Extension+Adapter+Right+Angle&_sop=15

3 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Well, SanDisk pro is 95mb/s right? Can't you open a file from that camera and see the data rate? 

Yes. I can. I still have some on my hard drive. Now I don’t know if I have any 60p, but it will give me an idea.

On another note, with USB-C, do they sell storage sticks like flash drives? If so, with a locking cage, I could also make a shroud that covers all of the ports, to lessen the risk of bumping into it. Most likely there will be some threads on the cage to screw it to with wing nuts.

3 minutes ago, mercer said:

Yes. I can. I still have some on my hard drive. Now I don’t know if I have any 60p, but it will give me an idea.

On another note, with USB-C, do they sell storage sticks like flash drives? If so, with a locking cage, I could also make a shroud that covers all of the ports, to lessen the risk of bumping into it. Most likely there will be some threads on the cage to screw it to with wing nuts.

I got this one, it is really tiny and backwards compatible http://www.poweredbymushkin.com/Home/index.php/products2/item/129-swap/1320-swap-64gb-usb-3-1-type-c-flash-drive-1

(I am trying hard to get us to the next page)

3 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

I got this one, it is really tiny and backwards compatible http://www.poweredbymushkin.com/Home/index.php/products2/item/129-swap/1320-swap-64gb-usb-3-1-type-c-flash-drive-1

(I am trying hard to get us to the next page)

Yeah, something small like that is perfect... I’d much rather use a direct plug drive than a cord based. A simple piece of bent aluminum or sheet metal, as a shroud, can protect it from accidental knocks. 

4 hours ago, Kisaha said:

If you use the camera everyday, then just buy a couple SD and/or a couple CF cards. I do not understand how suddenly recording on an external USB C drive became mandatory workflow, and puzzles us for 4 pages!

It offers another option, it doesn't mean that replaces other media completely.

Yes, that's what I'm planning to do.... Record internally. I was just mentioning a possible issue to others who might rely on the usbc connection hence me saying 'for those planning on using the usbc connector' 

6 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

Even if you have 1tb media? If so, like others have suggested, disconnect the drive from the cable, not the cable from the camera during the shoot.

I wouldn't recommend 1tb dives. Too risky to have so much footing on the one drive if the drive where to fail. Unfortunately I've had drives fail on the UMP. I prefer to offload media a few times a day to seperate drives.