Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

23 minutes ago, anonim said:

I think that in any serious evaluation of BM impact and consequences it is аdvisable to consider one highly important factor - pure personality behind. If I am not wrong, Grant Petty has total drivе-control of BM policy, and it seems to me that it is a man devoted to personal vision and strong feeling of his world-mission. For him, profit alone is not The most important goal - although of course important - but craving to make/left some relevant trace behind him. Some sort of Steve Jobs, maybe... What BM done with Resolve is wonder - and it seems that Petty decisively follow his idea of democratizing movie-making to the utmost boundaries... So, to me all other reasons/aspects of this one attempt are simply executive and secondary - it seems to me that here we are also witnessing to higher evolution of someone noble self-actualization, in the meaning that, say, Abraham Maslow gave to that syntagm...

And that is one of many reasons I want to support BM more and more down the road. He is on a mission to bring Film Making to the masses on the cheap.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Kinefinity Terra, Mavo, Mavo LF are damn small.  They are probably half the size of a RED camera and about 1/10 the price.  The features of the MAVO on paper looks on-par with the RED and in some ways MORE impressive.  RED doesn't have the processing power for 5K and 6K prores like kinefinity does, and there's certainly not built-in wireless monitoring.  The Kinefinity camera accessories are very cheap and the cameras are actually quite affordable.  The PRO kit of the Terra 4K has everything you need including cases for about the same price as the Ursa Mini Pro.

Normally indie camera brands are playing catchup to RED, Arri, etc. but now that most of these brands have figured out how to make good cameras they can now focus their efforts on innovating too.  I don't know how Kinefinity gets their cameras so small because even Blackmagic has problems with making small cameras that Kinefinity seems to not have.

42 minutes ago, Savannah Miller said:

Kinefinity Terra, Mavo, are damn small.  They are probably half the size of a RED camera and about 1/10 the price.  The features of the MAVO on paper looks on-par with the RED and in some ways MORE impressive.  RED doesn't have the processing power for 5K and 6K prores like kinefinity does, and there's certainly not built-in wireless monitoring.  The Kinefinity camera accessories are very cheap and the cameras are actually quite affordable.  The PRO kit of the Terra 4K has everything you need including cases for about the same price as the Ursa Mini Pro.

Normally indie camera brands are playing catchup to RED, Arri, etc. but now that most of these brands have figured out how to make good cameras they can now focus their efforts on innovating too.  I don't know how Kinefinity gets their cameras so small because even Blackmagic has problems with making small cameras that Kinefinity seems to not have.

Yeah but on paper I don't like small Cine cameras. I want buttons out the ass. I don't want to menu dive for this and this. At least the new 4K BMPCC has a 5" screen to look at. in a small package. Now if you are into Gimbal work a small body is desirable. But I grew up using Glidecams so you can fly just about anything on one of them. I still think they look more natural than a electronic Gimbal if you are good with one. Takes a lot of patience and practice to do it though!

Plus we don't even know the price of the Mavo LF yet. Not hard to be cheaper than a Red but I bet they are not going to give it away. :grin:

18 minutes ago, Savannah Miller said:

I use glidecam too that's why I want smaller size.  Maybe I'm a wimp but I hate carrying cams over 5 ibs without vest and arm.  With weights it becomes around 10 and that's too much for long shooting.

Yeah I am too old for that myself LoL.

On 4/20/2018 at 4:27 PM, DBounce said:

After watching some video from this camera I wonder if any of the promised features will be dropped? 

That video looked mighty jerky. Granted, it was off the prototype model, and we do not know the data rate of the card that was used. But I would not be surprised to learn that some features will be cut.

BMD didn’t want to go on the record about quite a bit when I was there. Which actually concerned me, as most everyone else I spoke to was willing to.

You have been very dismissive of that camera until now, I remember you talking about the motion cadence not being good, perhaps we got the answer with the stolen footage, that the camera is not final by all means (dropping frames etc) and better wait to make any conclusion. In the end, I don't see them dishing any of the spec features, some spec might miss some target, like the DR might be 12.5 rather than 13 for example. But what reassures me most is the Sony chip, these are very mature tech, i don't think we will have like balck sun, fpn etc.

On 4/21/2018 at 1:26 AM, Kisaha said:

The latest moves from BM shows that they have learned from their mistakes and they are moving to the right direction in all fronts.

The fact that they are searching now how to manufacture the camera is not very optimistic for early September delivery.

It's not a simple thing to manufacture a camera, it takes a lot of components to be bought from different sources and a lot of logistics. It may take them a little more, but in the end I believe they will deliver.

@mercer maybe gave me a couple of good reasons to wait a little bit longer and not pre-order! Of,course open box buys are very rare in Europe, and the price is already very low, I wouldn't mind a brand new one, but I wouldn't like to be a beta tester.

People always take some CEO or sales person word for granted. Do you think that such a company is only now looking at who is going to manufacturer in six month when they must have started the design at least a year ago, more so when they already announced the delivery date and price. I am sure they already have half a dozen manufacturers with at least quotes and availability manufacturing capacity on the table. My only concern is that they chose to go to some new (at least to BMD) material, that could cause some problem, they also have 5+ years of camera manufacturing behind them now.

10 hours ago, Nathan Gabriel said:

Does anyone have experience using Resolve in Linux? How smoothly does it run? Does it have limited video codecs in Linux? Or just any of behaviour that you wouldn't expect?

It runs fine, and has the same functionality, but is difficult to install on distributions other than CentOS/Red Hat Enterprise. There's no h264 rendering, which is not a big deal since it's better to export to a high-end codec (such DNxHR) and use ffmpeg to transcode that into h264.

Best go to Blackmagic's user forum where there is a long thread on Resolve's Linux install issues that also contains other useful information. (Such as scripts that repackage Resolve for Ubuntu/Debian etc.)