Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 hours ago, Axel said:

I noticed that. Without being an expert, could this have to do with what in Sonys custom PP setting is influenced by "knee" (the point where the gamma curve starts to "fade out") and "slope" (the steepness of he curve from there)? Something that's baked in. As it is now in ProRes. They could address it with a new "PP". But see below.

I've never - anywhere - seen compressed video that has so little noise even in completely underexposed parts. The NAB pre-production model that the brave thief used to record the 4 minute clip on was set to  ISO 800 ("variable framerate"?):

File size                                : 11.2 GiB

Duration                                 : 4 min 9 s

Overall bit rate                         : 384 Mb/s

com.blackmagic-design.camera.uuid        : fdee50bc-5896-477b-be85-b1a07a8382c5

com.blackmagic-design.camera.projectFPS  : 24

com.apple.proapps.shootingRate           : 50

com.blackmagic-design.camera.cameraType  : Blackmagic URSA Pocket

com.blackmagic-design.camera.shutterAngl : 190°

com.blackmagic-design.camera.iso         : 800

com.blackmagic-design.camera.whiteBalanc : 5450

com.blackmagic-design.camera.whiteBalanc : -20

com.apple.proapps.customgamma            : com.blackmagic-design.camera.filmlog

com.blackmagic-design.camera.look.LUTNam : Blackmagic 4K Film to Video.cube

com.blackmagic-design.camera.guides.aspe : 2.35:1

com.blackmagic-design.camera.guides.safe : 45

com.blackmagic-design.camera.firmware    : 5.5

(...)

com.blackmagic-design.camera.colorScienc : Blackmagic URSA Pocket, Color Science Gen 4

(...)

Format profile                           : 422 HQ

Codec ID                                 : apch

Duration                                 : 4 min 9 s

Bit rate mode                            : Constant

Bit rate                                 : 369 Mb/s

Width                                    : 3 840 pixels

Height                                   : 2 160 pixels

Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9

Frame rate mode                          : Variable

Frame rate                               : 12.507 FPS

Minimum frame rate                       : 3.429 FPS

Maximum frame rate                       : 24.000 FPS

Color space                              : YUV

Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:2

Scan type                                : Progressive

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 3.554

Stream size                              : 10.7 GiB (96%)

Writing library                          : bmd0

Language                                 : English

Encoded date                             : UTC 2018-04-12 01:43:44

Tagged date                              : UTC 2018-04-12 01:43:44

Color primaries                          : BT.709

Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709

Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709

matrix_coefficients_Original             : BT.709

I think I vaguely remember that the upper native ISO was 3200 (where clean shadows and some harshly blown out highlights would be expected, if the A7s' native ISO of 3200 is anything to go by). What was the lower native ISO? 800?

Please also note that on the official Blackmagic site, they list 4k 60p as ...

An error?

You are in an entirely separate universe. The, er, native virtues of BM cameras have nothing to do with intelligent AF or things like that. That's why all BM cameras, no matter how cumbersome they are in terms of usage (ever lifted the classic URSA?), remain classics.

If you are tuned into the BM user mindset, you witness parallel efforts of Son, Pan, Can with serenity. So they found another smart gimmick to free you from the burden of having  to do something manually? Damn amazing indeed!

Based on current info, the dual ISO on P4K is native at 400 and 3200.

On 4/10/2018 at 6:54 AM, Sage said:

That's true.. this is BMD after all

For many years, I asked that they make this exact camera (though never imagined they'd pull off 120)

Wonder what the olpf situation will be

I talked to a rep about the olpf at NAB and they said that they tend to not put filters on their cameras and if they do its always minor because they are obsessed with image quality. Kind of a shame in terms of IR pollution. I remember having to put my Hoya IR cut filter on every freaking lens I owned because the original pocket had such bad IR pollution. I think this cam will have the same issue. 

15 hours ago, Axel said:

You are in an entirely separate universe. The, er, native virtues of BM cameras have nothing to do with intelligent AF or things like that. That's why all BM cameras, no matter how cumbersome they are in terms of usage (ever lifted the classic URSA?), remain classics.

If you are tuned into the BM user mindset, you witness parallel efforts of Son, Pan, Can with serenity. So they found another smart gimmick to free you from the burden of having  to do something manually? Damn amazing indeed!

Well, probably I am in another universe, since I learned to shoot with an eClair NPR, and YES, it was film, did you ever hear about it?, and everything was manual, later I got an Super 16 eClair ACL II, a 35mm Konvas-1M and a 35mm Konvas-2M, and I had a lot of fun, YES, the three shoot film, did you ever hear about that little boy?, when you were playing with your little cars in the living room of your daddy I was shooting with these babes, and all was manual, measuring the light, installing those huge light alone and hacking the breaker to get enough energy for the lights, little babies of today with their digital cameras really don't know a crap what was really to shoot in the old days with very limited budget.....did you ever lifted an eClair NPR? or a eClair ACL? or a 35mm camera ever?, URSA?, thats a joke, the only camera similar in weight to my old babes was the Red One, the rest, not even close....and I have a R1 too, and YES, it is all manual!!!!!!......I just used the Konvas two month ago to shoot some interior scenes, still a solid camera.....URSA?, sorry, not even close......so, are you going to teach me how to do things manually?......hahaha, come back little boy to play with your little cards....you really don't know what was to shoot with film, to do the load of the magazines every 12 minutes for 16mm and 4:30 minutes for 35mm, if I want DPAF is because of I needed for some projects, I have a R1 to shoot whatever else.....and YES, I have been shooting manually all these years.....sorry....nothing to learn from you...

16 hours ago, Axel said:

Having total control is a very different experience indeed and a very pleasurable as well, but there are times that I appreciate technology (like AF or smooth AE with ISO) which actually allows me to enjoy the moment instead of focusing all my effort into getting the shot. I am pretty sure many would have an issue with the old hand crank, even though at times it would be fun to use ;)  . But I agree with you there are going to be plenty of pocket returns because of its "incoveniences". The remaining bunch are going to be pretty happy though. 

@hijodeibn Chill. 

2 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

I talked to a rep about the olpf at NAB and they said that they tend to not put filters on their cameras and if they do its always minor because they are obsessed with image quality. Kind of a shame in terms of IR pollution. I remember having to put my Hoya IR cut filter on every freaking lens I owned because the original pocket had such bad IR pollution. I think this cam will have the same issue. 

I am wondering about the relationship between color and IR filter and whether their claim is correct. I can imaging wavelengths close to IR can help with warming up the shadows and improving the skin tonalities. In your experience did you have a problem when not using an ND filter? Here is a comparison of the URSA:

http://www.thehurlblog.com/what-is-ir-pollution-and-how-do-you-combat-it-tiffen/

2 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

Having total control is a very different experience indeed and a very pleasurable as well, but there are times that I appreciate technology (like AF or smooth AE with ISO) which actually allows me to enjoy the moment instead of focusing all my effort into getting the shot. I am pretty sure many would have an issue with the old hand crank, even though at times it would be fun to use ;)  . But I agree with you there are going to be plenty of pocket returns because of its "incoveniences". The remaining bunch are going to be pretty happy though. 

Don, I think News/ENG camera ops are the real ones living in their own universe still. Zooming, focusing, riding the iris without thinking twice about it. Just experience and muscle memory for these people. Heavy rigged cameras, beefy sticks and head etc, and they do it solo, day in day out.

Attached a photo of an old timer in OZ shooting digital for the first time in his life, no drama to get around a problem.

enlargement-5.jpg

• Administrators

Most viewed thread in 2 weeks ever on EOSHD about a camera launch

https://www.eoshd.com/2018/04/blackmagic-pocket-4k-watched-camera-launch-ever-eoshd/

Blackmagic are onto something.

Begs the question why doesn't GH5S have raw, ProRes and baked-in LUT support? It should have done.

14 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

https://www.eoshd.com/2018/04/blackmagic-pocket-4k-watched-camera-launch-ever-eoshd/

Begs the question why doesn't GH5S have raw, ProRes and baked-in LUT support? It should have done.

It begs the question why everything related to this camera must be discussed in this thread. When a thread is 82 pages long it makes sifting through the post time consuming. 

Proof in point, I asked Panasonic about this very question. And reported the answer here. 

Sub-topics are ok. 

This  is on my acquisition list.  I hope Panasonic is watching.  This is going to give both Panasonic and Sony a run for their money.  I notice however there is very little information related to it's image shooting capabilities.  Just  like Panasonic's GH5, although the focus is on video it still is very much an image camera.  To what  extent can we regard the 4K Pocket Cinema Camera as a capable camera with controls, to take images.

The GH5 is the true Pocket camera. Without any rigging at all, I can shoot handheld without a gimbal, tap to focus, battery lasts for hours, I can custom white balance, record simultaneously to two SD cards, delete and format cards in camera, and import footage and export with virtually no grading. Sure, it might not be a cinema camera, but it is one heck of a video camera. 

26 minutes ago, tokyojerry said:

I notice however there is very little information related to it's image shooting capabilities.  

It's my understanding that the stills button basically saves a frame from the video. So it has the same resolution as the format you're set to record in.

Likewise, if you're filming in raw, you'll get a raw image. If you're set to film in prores, the camera will save a jpeg frame.

I think it's more for generating thumbnails or testing lighting setups than for taking photos on holiday for exmple.

15 minutes ago, jonpais said:

The GH5 is the true Pocket camera. Without any rigging at all, I can shoot handheld without a gimbal, tap to focus, battery lasts for hours, I can custom white balance, record simultaneously to two SD cards, delete and format cards in camera, and import footage and export with virtually no grading. Sure, it might not be a cinema camera, but it is one heck of a video camera. 

I like and agree with these important points but without a gimbal you cannot move with the camera. This may not be something you want to do, but purposive camera movement is an important dimension of video. IBIS is not a complete substitute for a gimbal, and the GH5 (not really pocketable) is really too large for extensive gimbal use. Of course, this new BM camera is no better in this regard, and handheld use is even more limited.

36 minutes ago, jonpais said:

How do you fit a GH5 in your pocket.

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

For the simple reason that they have to protect their higher end camera offerings. That is also why Both the BMPCC 4k and the GH5s Do Not have 4k at 120fps (despite the sensor being capable of it). 

45 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I agree, GH5 is one hell of a hybrid camera.