Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
24 minutes ago, Yurolov said:

I think the thing that astounds me is that for a standalone 5 inch daylight viewable external monitor from a company like SmallHD you are looking at a price not too dissimilar from the price of the entire camera! But along with including LUT previews, you also get the added benefit of baking in LUTS.

The OS of the blackmagics is second to none. The touchscreens are like what you would find on a smartphone.  The same cannot be said of Sony's or Fuji's top-end cameras which leave a lot to be desired. Canon and Panasonic get it right, though.

That's some kind of value. Really makes you think about what the profit margins are for companies like SmallHD and the bigger players in the industry.  

I agree the prices are crazy, but there's no contest at all between the Ursa Mini touchscreen and the SmallHD702. I'm assuming their other daylight viewable are the same?

6 hours ago, jonpais said:

I’d like to see someone fly that on a gimbal. Or shoot discretely with it. The Veydras are fast; affordable; optically brilliant; compact; and built completely of metal. They have user changeable mounts for Sony, Fuji and micro four thirds. $8,000 for two lenses is out of reach for most of us.

It's not set up for discreet shooting. It's actually not out of balance either but in either case, I wouldn't use that handle to pick it up anyway. 

4 hours ago, graphicnatured said:

I agree the prices are crazy, but there's no contest at all between the Ursa Mini touchscreen and the SmallHD702. I'm assuming their other daylight viewable are the same?

I would imagine so. But how much more are you really getting with the SmallHD product that will change the way you operate (apart from tilting screen, which is not a function of the monitor itself)?

Seems remarkable what they have managed to squeeze in at this price point when you compare the price of accessories. 

46 minutes ago, Yurolov said:

I would imagine so. But how much more are you really getting with the SmallHD product that will change the way you operate (apart from tilting screen, which is not a function of the monitor itself)?

Seems remarkable what they have managed to squeeze in at this price point when you compare the price of accessories. 

I can actually see it outside in the daytime, and that is a HUGE advantage to having it. If you haven't used one, the difference between it and so many other monitors is great. If you have, then you know what I'm talking about. I hate that I paid that much for it, but there isn't a day that goes by that I regret the purchase. Oh, and I agree with regards to how much BM is able to squeeze in.

On (missing) AF, gimbals, speedboosters, hyperfocal distance and lens-choices. With Pocket "I" : the screen wasn't good, but it had the best peaking (Kryptonite-green). With shallow depth of field, no problem. sDoF, of course, was only possible with rather fast lenses, because crop factor was almost three. 

With a slow lens and with he said hyperfocal distance, almost the whole display became green. You wished you could reverse the peaking so that oof-areas were highlighted. Because of the size of the sensor (S16) but nonetheless relatively big pixels, it was sometimes hard to focus. 

Unfortunately, this hasn't changed. Yes, the sensor is bigger, the crop factor is just below two, but the pixels are smaller. And since hyperfocal distance works where the circle of confusion (that's us, the BMPCC fan group!) is smaller than the dimensions of the smallest picture elements, you only get HFD with very wide lenses with very narrow apertures.

HFD means absolute depth of field, fix-focus. I certainly like the idea, but not everybody will. For tripod and handheld shots (we definitely, absolutely need at least a basic rig-stabilization, never believe because it's comfortable to hold it will be okay!) we need to practice manual focussing (P4k display, if sufficient, if not with external monitor).

On a bright sunny day like today I'd strictly use HFD on a gimbal. Otherwise we'd need something like the Crane 2's follow focus and learn to operate that. This was something I dreamed about ever since I learned about steadicams. Have a big box of RC servos and miniature rig parts from my DIY efforts (originals were ridiculously expensive). 

Then again, with the existence of gimbals we stumbled into a trap. Do I really need to constantly move the camera in the Z-axis? No, I even don't consider these shots particularly cinematic any more. Whatever that means. It's time to revisit old threads on filmlook and adjust our understanding of it in 2018.

9 hours ago, jonpais said:

I’d like to see someone fly that on a gimbal. Or shoot discretely with it. The Veydras are fast; affordable; optically brilliant; compact; and built completely of metal. They have user changeable mounts for Sony, Fuji and micro four thirds. $8,000 for two lenses is out of reach for most of us.

To fly maybe not, that would be a really big drone :) but to install on gimbal, no problem, here is BMMSC with a 3kg + lens on a gimbal. 

16 hours ago, tyger11 said:

Of course, it depends on what you're doing. Brandon Li does the best gimbal work I've seen and often doesn't use AF at all.

Not true. He uses most of the time AF, especially when on gimbal.

the case of Brandon is more a proof that AF is amazing for video, than the contrary.