Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 minutes ago, John Brawley said:

So far, from what I can remember back to V9, they've never charged for an upgrade.  Once you own it, you own it.

JB

At last! Thanks, John.

8 minutes ago, Coiii said:

Yeah, I know that, at this time we don't have any official footage. It's weird but I think that we don't have any BMD camera with the new color science 4.0 right?

I'm really curious about that, maybe my expectations are a little high but I think this little camera will have the same quality (or at least very very close) to the Ursa Mini Pro. Perfect for a B cam to intercut and B roll. It's obvious that it will not be a replacement thanks to all the professional controls on the Ursa, but for low budget filmmakers this will be more than perfect. My only complain it's the sensor, I would love a S35 but I can live with that.

I think it would be fair to expect that they'd want the footage to be able to be intercut with the Ursa Mini Pro as well.

3 minutes ago, Jn- said:

Well, thats a pretty good deal!  With Vegas, once you own it, you own it forever, i.e. the current version that you paid for, but you gotta pay for the next version upgrade.

Yep, especially if you look at what V9 could compared to what you can do today with V15.  It's a whole new platform really and they've slowly added greater and greater editing functionality, and now audio and VFX as well as the best in class colour correction and tracking.

JB

The incredible feature of Resolve is just how good and feature packed the free version is.  A real credit to BM. Am I correct in thinking that noise reduction is the primary benefit of the paid version? Looking forward to playing with that in the Pocket version. 

For a lot of things I still find FCP and the add-ons & plug-ins easier (but as a hobbyist I claim next to zero talent in this respect).

To me used to see dozens/hundreds of thousands invested on AVID systems before... let alone the hours paid directly in the film lab's bank account... all this seems too odd to read (without extreme roll eyes) several comments written on such completely nonsense posts, a little bit all over internet *phew*

6 minutes ago, Snowfun said:

The incredible feature of Resolve is just how good and feature packed the free version is.  A real credit to BM. Am I correct in thinking that noise reduction is the primary benefit of the paid version? Looking forward to playing with that in the Pocket version. 

For a lot of things I still find FCP and the add-ons & plug-ins easier (but as a hobbyist I claim next to zero talent in this respect).

Noise and DCI 4K

The local official dealer here announced official pricing for the Pocket 4K, 1.082euros+ VAT = 1.342euros!!! 

To put that in perspective, GH5 is 1.950 euros (yes, still, it sells so good here, that no one has to decrease the price greatly ),  GH5S is 2.500euros, Sony A7iii is 2.300euros, a6500 is 1400euros, e.t.c

I am serious tempted to pre order, should I just brake character and go with the flow?! I seriously believe that the camera can be more expensive in the future, I am not sure BM people did the costing right!

7 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

I am serious tempted to pre order, should I just brake character and go with the flow?!

I thought just that and spoke to the retailer. Not sure where in Europe you are, but here in Holland there are a few places where you can cancel your pre-order at anytime and get the deposit back. Maybe it's the same where you are?

I actually decided to pre-order from 2 different retailers, with the plan to cancel the one which takes the longest to send it to me. If I get 2 cameras in one day, I can just send one back unopened for a full refund... Or, if the wife happens to be away that day, pretend I sent one back :grin:

3 minutes ago, andrgl said:

On the /ca/ page (I take it Canadian or something; reference is still USD though). Yeah, I've seen here in Europe differences as well. Apparently has to do with national taxes and how prices have to be shown online or something like it. In some countries it says '€1145', in others '1369€'.

15 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

I thought just that and spoke to the retailer. Not sure where in Europe you are, but here in Holland there are a few places where you can cancel your pre-order at anytime and get the deposit back. Maybe it's the same where you are?

I actually decided to pre-order from 2 different retailers, with the plan to cancel the one which takes the longest to send it to me. If I get 2 cameras in one day, I can just send one back unopened for a full refund... Or, if the wife happens to be away that day, pretend I sent one back :grin:

Haha! I couldn't live with so much stress, you are obviously a testosterone-junky doing all that behind your wife's back!

I live in Greece and the official importer has it for 1.380euros, there are 4 more re-sellers here, and the cheapest price is the one I mentioned above.

I am buying a lot of stuff from the Netherlands, got some friends in Utrecht and Amsterdam as well, most favorite country for sure! Which shops did you pre-order from?

@andrgl I am sure a lot of people in the company push a 1.499$ price, and that would still be a steal! How they can do it for so cheap?

23 hours ago, Eduardo Granadsztejn said:

What do you think about the BMPCC4K against the A7III? ($ 700 more)

For me it feels like the Pocket is a cinema camera, basically fully manual also for lenses etc. I feel like if I pay 2 grand for an A73 I would then be stuck with a "system" and need to invest in their lens setup, same with GH5. The "system" obviously brings big advantages, the drag is I would instantly feel like I have to now get a 20, 28,..., 50, 85, 300mm plus maybe a 24-120 (if something like it exists. The P2 is just a "sensor" with all it's limitations. It doesn't demand anything but a fairly "professional" approach to shooting stuff.

4 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Haha! I couldn't live with so much stress, you are obviously a testosterone-junky doing all that behind your wife's back!

They don't call him @Anaconda_ for no reason.

6 minutes ago, mechanicalEYE said:

Check the currency tab at the top. Its still the same price, you must have the currency changed to Canada

That's just a language flag (feel free to change it to 'ru' for Russian or 'fr' for French, etc). It still clearly states the price referenced in 'US$' not 'CAN$' however.

11 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

I live in Greece and the official importer has it for 1.380euros, there are 4 more re-sellers here, and the cheapest price is the one I mentioned above.

I am buying a lot of stuff from the Netherlands, got some friends in Utrecht and Amsterdam as well, most favorite country for sure! Which shops did you pre-order from?

@andrgl I am sure a lot of people in the company push a 1.499$ price, and that would still be a steal! How they can do it for so cheap?

Main 3 places to check for us (Dutch) Europeans: https://geizhals.eu/ - https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/ - http://www.google.nl/shopping?hl=nl&tab=wf

So... his two retailers must be the ones listed here: https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/1166403/blackmagic-design-pocket-cinema-camera-4k-zwart.html , which have a good reputation from what I know. A German store lists it the cheapest: https://geizhals.eu/blackmagic-design-pocket-cinema-camera-4k-micro-four-thirds-mount-a1801840.html , but I'm doubtful they'll honor that price.

9 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

One from www.kamera-express.nl and the other from www.provideoproducts.nl

Interestingly, provideoproducts now include a battery and charger with every pre-order... I hope that one comes first.

2 minutes ago, hansel said:

For me it feels like the Pocket is a cinema camera, basically fully manual also for lenses etc. I feel like if I pay 2 grand for an A73 I would then be stuck with a "system" and need to invest in their lens setup, same with GH5. The "system" obviously brings big advantages, the drag is I would instantly feel like I have to now get a 20, 28,..., 50, 85, 300mm plus maybe a 24-120 (if something like it exists. The P2 is just a "sensor" with all it's limitations. It doesn't demand anything but a fairly "professional" approach to shooting stuff.

They don't call him @Anaconda_ for no reason.

I seriously do not get all the usual "GH5 vs Pocket 4K", or "X-T2 vs A7Rii" and the rest. That shows that people do not do their homework, do not know themselves, do not exactly know what they really want to do with their cameras and their lives! 

How is the Pocket 4K relevant to the A7iii?! Someone that needs (or wants to do) RAW stuff with a manual lens or a small m43 one, is split between this, and the A7iii and its Eye AF and full frame lenses?! I do not get it, really.

14 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

That's just a language flag (feel free to change it to 'ru' for Russian or 'fr' for French, etc). It still clearly states the price referenced in 'US$' not 'CAN$' however.

I understand that,  my point is the price hasn't changed.  If the language changes the price will change according to location. Price is still $1295, and if you change to Canada you get $1349

Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 3.46.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-16 at 3.47.27 PM.png