Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

3 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Let me ask something: when Blackmagic releases Resolve 16, will users be required to pay if they want to upgrade?

In the past, upgrades have been included in the license. Eg if you had paid for 12.5 you could update to 14 free. I can only imagine they'll continue this trend, but don't really know for sure. Maybe it's good for the next 3 versions or something? At the very least, you'll be able to get a discount on the next version you need to buy.

If you do have to rebuy v.16 that would suck, as they seem to be updating it yearly, 14 came out at last year's NAB if I remember correctly. Like I say though, I don't think they'd make you rebuy every version...

In short... I don't know.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Let me ask something: when Blackmagic releases Resolve 16, will users be required to pay if they want to upgrade?

Isn’t it possible to ask that question of all software and firmware upgrades? It isn’t unreasonable for a producer to charge a consumer for a new product or feature set is it? One can only base ones response on historical precedent - no guarantees for the future. The oft repeated formulae is don’t buy anything now on the belief in free upgrades tomorrow.

15 minutes ago, Snowfun said:

Isn’t it possible to ask that question of all software and firmware upgrades? It isn’t unreasonable for a producer to charge a consumer for a new product or feature set is it? One can only base ones response on historical precedent - no guarantees for the future. The oft repeated formulae is don’t buy anything now on the belief in free upgrades tomorrow.

Thank you for your response. I wasn’t rushing to judgement - just asking a simple question. Maybe others here would like to know as well. Peace.

3 minutes ago, Jn- said:

Jonapis, It may be different for Resolve, but the way it works with Vegas is you get free updates for the current version number, currently 15.  When a new version number occurs, with Magix its about yearly, you pay an upgrade price, not the full price, as you are an existing user.  In 2017 there were 7 free updates which included a mixture of a few new features and more bug fixes, that would be a typical yearly scenario.  

A new version number then would have some extra feature or features to encourage existing users to upgrade to the latest version.

Thank you. Perhaps someone who uses Resolve can answer definitively?

3 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Thank you. Perhaps someone who uses Resolve can answer definitively?

Well people who bought 12.5 could update to 14 free. Judging by that alone, I'd say they can go to 15. And people who get 15 with this camera or other purchases will be able to go to 16 at least.

What version did you get with the video assist? I assume 14, so is it possible to see if you can upgrade to 15 with the same license? 

If not, I think I have an unused SD card license back at the studio, (came with a production camera we just bought) so I'll have a look tomorrow to see what's possible.

1 minute ago, Anaconda_ said:

Well people who bought 12.5 could update to 14 free. Judging by that alone, I'd say they can go to 15. And people who get 15 with this camera or other purchases will be able to go to 16 at least.

What version did you get with the video assist? I assume 14, so is it possible to see if you can upgrade to 15 with the same license? 

If not, I think I have an unused SD card license back at the studio, (came with a production camera we just bought) so I'll have a look tomorrow to see what's possible.

That’s actually the reason I was asking! I got 12, but was never able to get it to work for some reason. 

2 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

How annoying. I'll check it out for you tomorrow and let you know... If I can find that SD card that is haha. 

Appreciate it. I just looked for my own card, couldn’t find it. Maybe it just existed in my imagination. ?

Iirc the only products that gave free resolve full version (or studio now) were cameras and not the pocket nor the micro, in fact, it was a big deal when the original bmcc was discounted to $2000 because resolve costed $1000 back then. If you got it included with the video assist, maybe that’s why it didn’t work to unlock studio version.

3 minutes ago, elgabogomez said:

Iirc the only products that gave free resolve full version (or studio now) were cameras and not the pocket nor the micro, in fact, it was a big deal when the original bmcc was discounted to $2000 because resolve costed $1000 back then. If you got it included with the video assist, maybe that’s why it didn’t work to unlock studio version.

It never even unlocked the Lite version. The startup menu would appear, then nothing. I tried it several times when I got it, and again just now. No big deal.

Then yes, throw it to the wall ... A few years ago, I bought avid studio (a consumer nle) and couldn’t get it to install, 70 something % and then an error. Didn’t want to return it, sent several emails to avid about it and no reply for a week. Ended up downloading the “cracked “ “hacked” version and used the code I had for the original dvd copy I legally had... 2 weeks later what I can only assume was an automated email response came saying “sorry for your inconvenience, we are looking for the trouble you have” sorta... less than a year later, avid sold the program to another company...

Speaking about footage quality, color rendition and sensor, can we expect something similar to the Ursa Mini Pro? I'm not a big fan of M4/3, but for me this camera looks perfect for micro budget narrative/documentary work.

Ate least for me this camera with a SmallRig cage, a good monitor and the Metabones + Sigma Art Primes looks like the perfect combo for small projects.

3 minutes ago, Coiii said:

Speaking about footage quality, color rendition and sensor, can we expect something similar to the Ursa Mini Pro? I'm not a big fan of M4/3, but for me this camera looks perfect for micro budget narrative/documentary work.

Ate least for me this camera with a SmallRig cage, a good monitor and the Metabones + Sigma Art Primes looks like the perfect combo for small projects.

Not to be snarky, but we can't answer affirmatively until we see some footage - hopefully, soon!

19 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Not to be snarky, but we can't answer affirmatively until we see some footage - hopefully, soon!

Yeah, I know that, at this time we don't have any official footage. It's weird but I think that we don't have any BMD camera with the new color science 4.0 right?

I'm really curious about that, maybe my expectations are a little high but I think this little camera will have the same quality (or at least very very close) to the Ursa Mini Pro. Perfect for a B cam to intercut and B roll. It's obvious that it will not be a replacement thanks to all the professional controls on the Ursa, but for low budget filmmakers this will be more than perfect. My only complain it's the sensor, I would love a S35 but I can live with that.