Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

I'm pretty shure they will sell this thing for at least 1799$ if they ever reach enough production capacity. 

selling many cameras for cheap only works if they are very basic (z-cam) or if you have the production capacity (Canon,Nikon,etc)

Just my 2cents, I'm no insider nor expert

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, DBounce said:

Is this a joke? I think everyone knows Canon has been making several Magnesium alloy bodied cameras for years.

The Body is not Magnesium alloy. It is made of plastic. The Chassis is Magnesium alloy. The Body is wrapped around the Chassis. How the hell Jesus Christ, I guess I Can't say it on here.

"I'm pretty shure they will sell this thing for at least 1799$ if they ever reach enough production capacity. "

How much precedent is there for a delivery price that much % over announced? That seems like a really bad business approach...unless at the outset they call it an introductory price.

And what do you mean by "enough production capacity"? The higher the production capacity, the more likely economies of scale can lower the cost.

1 hour ago, Tone1k said:

Good grief guys! Are people really complaining that they would like to have a cheaper option of the camera without resolve? As if the feature set v price is not good enough!!!??? 

Get a grip all,  how many cameras come with any editing software at all let alone the industry standard colour grading suite!

This camera is what it is. For the price, it's Amazing. If you can't make it work for you that's your issue, not the BMPCC4K's. 

And if you already bought Resolve Studio? Why pay for it again? Bundling is an anti-consumer strategy (recall cable companies?) - paying for what you want is what we want.

6 minutes ago, markr041 said:

And if you already bought Resolve Studio? Why pay for it again? Bundling is an anti-consumer strategy (recall cable companies?) - paying for what you want is what we want.

lol, Jesus. How is this even comparable to cable? I'm willing to bet a large portion of people buying this camera don't own a studio license for Resolve. I'm blown away that people are complaining about a company throwing in $300 software with a camera that will likely compete with cameras costing 3-4 times as much.

3 minutes ago, markr041 said:

The camera does not work without the Resolve Studio.  The free version cannot handle all the resolutions.  I don't know how many times this needs to be repeated.

If they sold it without Resolve Studio there would be a bunch of people screaming they got ripped off because the free version of Resolve doesn't work with the BMPCC 4k's high resolution footage.

Seriously guys.  Quit complaining.  Sell your Resolve dongle on ebay for $200 and move on.  This is nothing like a cable company charging you $80 in perpetuity.

Companies have to do what will cause the least amount of post purchase anger.  If they sold it with the free version of Resolve they would be excoriated.

Plus this low price and bundle may be a way of boosting the amount of full versions of Resolve out there.  They may be making a profit on the BMPCC 4k but they may also be using it as a vehicle to get wider acceptance of Resolve as a complete editing and color suite.  I believe the original pocket was their best selling camera ever.  Piggybacking some software sales on to that seems like a smart marketing strategy.

38 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

The Body is not Magnesium alloy. It is made of plastic. The Chassis is Magnesium alloy. The Body is wrapped around the Chassis. How the hell Jesus Christ, I guess I Can't say it on here.

To quote the Canon website regarding the 1DC "Exterior Material    Magnesium alloy" We all know that these magnesium alloy bodies have coatings over them, and whether or not that is plastic doesn’t matter in the conversation. In this thread of conversation, you yourself referenced “Nikon D810 has a Plastic, carbon chassis”. What matters here is how robust the carbon fiber reinforced chassis will be in comparison to magnesium. I don’t have any doubt that this material will be perfectly useable, I agree with you in that. However, I would appreciate it if you could realize when you are trying to make a point simply for your ego. It is important to see the difference in use case between the covering around the camera and the camera chassis. While as a covering it may be perfectly fine to use plastics, it is also reasonable to suggest that this may not be suitable as the chassis as well, especially in a professional use case.

8 minutes ago, Damphousse said:

The camera does not work without the Resolve Studio.  The free version cannot handle all the resolutions.  I don't know how many times this needs to be repeated.

If they sold it without Resolve Studio there would be a bunch of people screaming they got ripped off because the free version of Resolve doesn't work with the BMPCC 4k's high resolution footage.

Seriously guys.  Quit complaining.  Sell your Resolve dongle on ebay for $200 and move on.  This is nothing like a cable company charging you $80 in perpetuity.

Companies have to do what will cause the least amount of post purchase anger.  If they sold it with the free version of Resolve they would be excoriated.

Plus this low price and bundle may be a way of boosting the amount of full versions of Resolve out there.  They may be making a profit on the BMPCC 4k but they may also be using it as a vehicle to get wider acceptance of Resolve as a complete editing and color suite.  I believe the original pocket was their best selling camera ever.  Piggybacking some software sales on to that seems like a smart marketing strategy.

I am glad you are rooting for Blackmagic and their anticompetitive strategy to increase market share. Stick to shooting video, you do not have a clue about the welfare consequences of business strategies and competition. Bundling is well known as an anti-competitive practice that hurts consumers. In this case, there are other editors that can or will work with the video from the new camera (duh, you think other software companies do not want people to use their software with the new camera?), and we should have the choice of what editor we want. Note, again, I have Resolve Studio - so this is not anti the software. But, I and all others that bought the software already lose from this practice. And those who do not want to use Resolve also lose. Who wins? BM. The only thing you have right is that they are trying to boost sales of Resolve, at the expense of consumer welfare.

15 minutes ago, Damphousse said:

7 minutes ago, markr041 said:

Stick to shooting video, you do not have a clue about business strategies and competition. Bundling is well known as an anti-competitive practice that hurts consumers. In this case, there are other editors that can or will work with the video from the new camera (duh, you think other software companies do not want people to use their software with the new camera?), and we should have the choice of what editor we want. Note, again, I have Resolve Studio - so this is not anti the software. But, I and all others that bought the software already lose from this practice. And those who do not want to use Resolve also lose. Who wins? BM. The only thing you have right is that they are trying to boost sales of Resolve, at the expense of consumer welfare.

I highly doubt that people would be "screaming they got ripped off." It costs Blackmagic almost nothing to include the software, so thinking that they could reduce the price without resolve doesn't make sense. The camera is already priced too low, I'd just accept the extra license and sell it if you need some cash.

In this arena, and with the $$ involved in this issue, I would be far more concerned about the volatility of the camera (really all tech) market in terms of value degradation due to that beneficial competition. Also, imagine DaVinci owners who bought just prior to BMD ownership..

23 minutes ago, Jn- said:

What's Included
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K
Lens turret dust cap.
30W power supply with locking connector and international adapters. SD card with software and manual.
Welcome card.
DaVinci Resolve Studio with activation key.”

I use Vegas Pro and it will handle most of the codecs, but maybe not all.  So i’m glad the software is included, that way I can use Resolve to cover the rest, but would require learning enough just to output an intermediate file for input to Vegas.  Other users may simply prefer to jump right in with Resolve if the don’t already have something better.

You do not understand  - you are paying for Resolve. It is not free, but added to the price of the camera. By the time this camera comes out Vegas may very well work with all the codecs. And if it doesn't you can buy Resolve Studio. But now you must pay for it, whether it is "necessary" or not. 

1 minute ago, markr041 said:

You do not understand  - you are paying for Resolve. It is not free, but added to the price of the camera. By the time this camera comes out Vegas may very well work with all the codecs. And if it doesn't you can buy Resolve Studio. But now you must pay for it, whether it is "necessary" or not. 

Seriously, do you not understand how business works? What do you think the scale of value is for camera parts vs a resolve license? Obviously BM wants people using their software but if you really think this is anyway screwing people over you are kidding yourself. The value of the software is insignificant for them vs hardware cost of the camera.

58 minutes ago, Cambob3000 said:

To quote the Canon website regarding the 1DC "Exterior Material    Magnesium alloy" We all know that these magnesium alloy bodies have coatings over them, and whether or not that is plastic doesn’t matter in the conversation. In this thread of conversation, you yourself referenced “Nikon D810 has a Plastic, carbon chassis”. What matters here is how robust the carbon fiber reinforced chassis will be in comparison to magnesium. I don’t have any doubt that this material will be perfectly useable, I agree with you in that. However, I would appreciate it if you could realize when you are trying to make a point simply for your ego. It is important to see the difference in use case between the covering around the camera and the camera chassis. While as a covering it may be perfectly fine to use plastics, it is also reasonable to suggest that this may not be suitable as the chassis as well, especially in a professional use case.

There is not one f ing ounce of Magnesium alloy that touches your hand when you hold the camera. It is All Plastic you hold, every square inch of it.  Jesus I think Kindergarten has let out. The "Exterior Material" is not a metal, zero of it.

4 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

Except they aren't. The 5d4 (and others) have a mag chassis:

Screen Shot 2018-04-14 at 12.52.17 PM.png

He says it right. It has a Mag Chassis. You do Not hold the chassis, you hold the body over it. The Body covers the Chassis. Not the other way around. The outside is Plastic. The Body. Your body has skin over a skeleton. The Chassis is the skeleton of the camera. Simple as that. How the hell hard is that.

23 minutes ago, markr041 said:

By this logic you are saying that Blackmagic should sell the camera for $1000?

2 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

He says it right. It has a Mag Chassis. You do Not hold the chassis, you hold the body over it. The Body covers the Chassis. Not the other way around. The outside is Plastic. The Body. Your body has skin over a skeleton. The Chassis is the skeleton of the camera. Simple as that. Hard the hell hard is that.

Correct, we all agree on this. However, that has nothing to do with anything. My previous post outlines this distinction.