Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

Honestly, this is my theory. BlackMagic hasn’t been doing as well with their Ursa sales as they had hoped and with the release of the GH5, GH5s, C200, EVA1... higher end video/cinema cameras have become cheaper, so their market has dwindled and this camera is a way for them to get that market share back... we’re basically getting the P1 Fire Sale price at launch. Just a theory. 

2 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

That dongle is not free, it cost money to make it, copy Resolve to it, ship it to you LoL.

ResolveDongle1.jpg

I don’t think you get physical/literal dongles any more... you just get a code or a link to the software that you download online. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 minutes ago, mercer said:

But seriously why would I take a bet when the prize is described as... “this crappy, old beat up lens.” Lol. 

Well it was one of my favorites until throwing it in the trunk of the car a lot it sort of , eh made it sort of ehh Classic looking, used and abused, but still takes great, well good pictures.

17 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

The Nikon D810 has a Plastic, carbon chassis and the D500 has it also along with the front face being a Plastic, Carbon combo. Hell Canon has used  glass filled poly-carbonate bodies for years. It isn't going to break or flex.. It is stronger, tougher, lighter than Titanium. I have had a lot of Canon bodies and I never had one crack, or hell even have scratches for that matter, It is some damn tough stuff. Titanium doesn't absorb any real force like plastic carbon can. It transfers it.

https://***URL removed***/forums/thread/3948389?page=2

Heck even airplanes and race cars are made of the stuff now. Most of the Boeing 777 is composites. All the high end super cars are made with it.

I never said it couldn't be done, and comparing a $300+ million jet that cost many, many billions to develop, or even supercars that see many millions and sometimes billions in development, to a $1300 camera is just plain silly. I'm saying the body - in my opinion - is where a delay might surface as opposed to a Sony sourced sensor. And those plastic fantastic cameras do break. 

Screen Shot 2018-04-14 at 12.33.00 PM.png

• Super Members

This is what Grant Petty had to say when they acquired DaVinci in 2009.

"When we were doing the due diligence on DaVinci, I saw a $50,000 price in the price list if you bought a secondhand system, and now wanted to be supported by DaVinci. And not only that, you're paying upward of $80,000 a year for support contract after that."

That was just the service charge price you paid to get it checked out if you bought a second hand one.

At that time he was talking about getting the purchase price of the high end systems down from $850K to $500K

At $1299, I'd say its the camera you are getting for free and not the software.

1 minute ago, mercer said:

Honestly, this is my theory. BlackMagic hasn’t been doing as well with their Ursa sales as they had hoped and with the release of the GH5, GH5s, C200, EVA1... higher end video/cinema cameras have become cheaper, so their market has dwindled and this camera is a way for them to get that market share back... we’re basically getting the P1 Fire Sale price at launch. Just a theory. 

I don’t think you get physical/literal dongles any more... you just get a code or a link to the software that you download online. 

Yeah you are probably right. There cameras have all been pretty bad in low light other than this one that ought to be pretty damn good. Yeah all the cameras you listed are a hell of a lot better ISO wise, and God, then there is Sony crazy high ISO stuff. They are going to have to come up with nearly all new sensors for all their cameras to stay in the camera business. It won't be easy.

2 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

I never said it couldn't be done, and comparing a $300+ million jet that cost many, many billions to develop, or even supercars that see many millions and sometimes billions in development, to a $1300 camera is just plain silly. I'm saying the body - in my opinion - is where a delay might surface as opposed to a Sony sourced sensor. And those plastic fantastic cameras do break. 

Screen Shot 2018-04-14 at 12.33.00 PM.png

No they don't. They take the shock. Did you not read some of the comments in the article I posted from DPR. One of the main reasons they did change to Plastic like you like to call it, was Because of the D800 focus problems. They believed the focus mechanism was being displaced because it was receiving too much shock from the Titanium body chassis. So they switched to a "Plastic" chassis in the D810 and they haven't looked back. D500 has all of that also. And like I said every Canon DSLR is" plastic".

5 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

This is what Grant Petty had to say when they acquired DaVinci in 2009.

"When we were doing the due diligence on DaVinci, I saw a $50,000 price in the price list if you bought a secondhand system, and now wanted to be supported by DaVinci. And not only that, you're paying upward of $80,000 a year for support contract after that."

That was just the service charge price you paid to get it checked out if you bought a second hand one.

At that time he was talking about getting the purchase price of the high end systems down from $850K to $500K

At $1299, I'd say its the camera you are getting for free and not the software.

One could argue, that the full price of the camera and software is $1599 and we’re only paying $1299 because the software is free. 

But I like your idea better. 

14 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

Dual ISO's are 400 and 3200. From the display at NAB:

Screen Shot 2018-04-14 at 12.24.27 PM.png

Thank you, thank you. I have sort of be vindicated LoL. At least on that point. :grimace: That is the same as the GH5s, so no real surprise.

But the Kinfinity 4k has their specs as Dual Native ISO : 3200/800? I thought it was the same sensor? Maybe they tweaked it??

12 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah you are probably right. There cameras have all been pretty bad in low light other than this one that ought to be pretty damn good. Yeah all the cameras you listed are a hell of a lot better ISO wise, and God, then there is Sony crazy high ISO stuff. They are going to have to come up with nearly all new sensors for all their cameras to stay in the camera business. It won't be easy.

Idk, I still wouldn’t expect miracles from this camera for lowlight. I think this is a two ISO camera 400 (or 800... whichever one is right) and 3200. Of course, 3200 is great and everybody should be happy with that. And like previously mentioned... with a Speedbooster you can eek some more out of it.

But there is this new technology I’ve heard about recently that could make all the difference... I think they’re called lights? Supposedly there’s this bulb thingy that has a filament in it and when electricity runs through it, it glows... that should get us another stop or two. 

1 minute ago, mercer said:

But there is this new technology I’ve heard about recently that could make all the difference... I think they’re called lights? Supposedly there’s this bulb thingy that has a filament in it and when electricity runs through it, it glows... that should get us another stop or two. 

Ahh a lot of people on here never heard of ehh Lights. That might look too Filmic. That would Not be Run n Gun worthy. Hell you might even have to stop and setup stuff. Oh MY GOD, that would be a pain. I might have to use a Tripod. My IBIS would be...Wasted, oh dear what shall we do. Ahh yeah those old timey lights. Damn.

Good find Glenn.

20 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Thank you, thank you. I have sort of be vindicated LoL. At least on that point. :grimace: That is the same as the GH5s, so no real surprise.

LOL You are. But with that BMD rep entry I already had dismissed the case... ; ) Better 400 than 800 anyways : )

BTW that talk about free Resolve is rather funny to not say ridiculous :X Hey guys that one is a DaVinci... that one, remember? :-D 

7 minutes ago, sam said:

Nope. I have 2 sitting at home right now made of magnesium alloy.  Time to get off that pirate ship long john!

And what DSLR do you posses that is Magnesium that only a few of us can afford. Please tell us. I owned lots of Canon Film Plastic DSLR's also.

@webrunner5

Well almost any camera can be a run and gun camera if you work within its limitations and maximize its benefits.

I just have a prediction that there is going to be a backlash against this camera once it starts shipping because it won’t do exactly as hoped... or there will be some Barney and Friends color cast fixed pattern noise on all of the footage that is backlit... or something. But BM will fix it, via returns or fw updates and it will eventually be an amazing camera.

Just now, mercer said:

Well almost any camera can be a run and gun camera if you work within its limitations and maximize its benefits.

I just have a prediction that there is going to be a backlash against this camera once it starts shipping because it won’t do exactly as hoped... or there will be some Barney and Friends color cast fixed pattern noise on all of the footage that is backlit... or something. But BM will fix it, via returns or fw updates and it will eventually be an amazing camera.

Yeah BM has it always seems some crazy White, Black Orb thing, Magenta cast on and on, on their roll outs.