Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

"Customers with USA billing addresses will not be charged until the order is processed for shipping. However, a credit card authorization hold occurs at the time the order is placed. Credit card customers with non-USA billing addresses will be charged in full at the time of purchase."

Can anyone in the States confirm this about B&H (I'm asking someone there to get it for me)? Or should I go for HotRodCameras (first time hearing of them, and also, they misspelled President as Preasident on their About page, which is nitpicking, but yea)?

On 4/10/2018 at 1:41 PM, Luke Mason said:

Trust me, I have my hands on some ProRes and DNG materials from the camera (acquired from NAB), it's clean af up to about 6400. Noise pattern is very pleasant fine grain, due to lack of compression obviously. The sensor is confirmed to be IMX294CJK, it's the STARVIS line from Sony Semicon with BSI design, originally intended for low light surveillance.

ProRes screenshot:

Untitled_1.3.2.thumb.jpg.105b19fac9c94fc8d12b796f845a025b.jpg

Are you able to share any of this footage?

6 hours ago, sanveer said:

I shared a video (or more than one), where one of the Blackmagic employees says that it does upto 100fps non-windowed. 

Yes, I remember this being said as well. That is pretty close to the max fps! Which is nice if you don't wish to window it. 

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

Recording to a drive via USB-C seems a touch risky to me. The photo where they just have a Samsung drive dangling off the camera - all you’ve got to do is breathe and it will fall out. I suppose a clamp comes with the camera?

I imagine for people trying to shoot with 4K on the BMPCC4K with an ultra frugal budget (i.e. not just getting a tonne of CFast cards), that their shooting style will have a lot of similarities to the way RED ONE folks shoot (for those who don't have the SSD module, or only have a limited number of gigs on it). At least until CFast prices fall further.

What they'll do is for the tripod shots they'll use their USB-C (just like RED ONEs using their RED-DRIVE for tripod shots) but then switch over to using their CFast card when handheld (again, just like how RED ONE owners would then switch over to CF or SSD when then going handheld).

Taking this hybrid approach is saner than constantly having a USB-C drive hanging off at all times. 

I would like to see someone make a battery grip for the Pocket 4k that could somehow house something like the Samsung ssd drive within it, can house an extra one or two batteries and have a usb-c connector lock device like the mini hdmi clamp found on some dslr cages. Would sell like hot cakes! 

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Yes, I remember this being said as well. That is pretty close to the max fps! Which is nice if you don't wish to window it. 

I imagine for people trying to shoot with 4K on the BMPCC4K with an ultra frugal budget (i.e. not just getting a tonne of CFast cards), that their shooting style will have a lot of similarities to the way RED ONE folks shoot (for those who don't have the SSD module, or only have a limited number of gigs on it). At least until CFast prices fall further.

What they'll do is for the tripod shots they'll use their USB-C (just like RED ONEs using their RED-DRIVE for tripod shots) but then switch over to using their CFast card when handheld (again, just like how RED ONE owners would then switch over to CF or SSD when then going handheld).

Taking this hybrid approach is saner than constantly having a USB-C drive hanging off at all times. 

Not keen on that idea, makes media managing that much harder on busy shoots. 

On 4/10/2018 at 11:01 AM, BTM_Pix said:

I do hope Blackmagic have already bought up a boatload of the sensors.

I can just see Panasonic getting on the phone to Sony this morning and saying "You know that IMX294CJK sensor that we buy off you for our GH5 cameras? How many have you got?....Right, we're on our way there now....We'll take the lot" ;)

freight-semi-truck-panasonic-corporation-logo-driving-along-forest-road-editorial-d-rendering-90436177.jpg

We laugh, but I'd be so sad if this happened. The bmpcc 4k is so revolutionary

7 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Well it has dual ISO"s, 400, 3200. So 3200 Ought to be pretty close to what ISO 400 looks like, will be a little worse I am sure, but it may be good up to 6400 ISO?? But yeah, 3200 should be fine. Some have suggested it might be the Only ISO's that you should shoot at, 400, 3200 because they are both base ISO's.

Correct. Day and night for first time with this new generation cameras to begin with EVA (solid name for : ) Why other than that? ; ) Dual base ISO there is 800 & 3200 though :-)

https://www.proav.co.uk/videos/blackmagic-pocket-cinema-camera-4k/

7 hours ago, jonpais said:

Recording to a drive via USB-C seems a touch risky to me. The photo where they just have a Samsung drive dangling off the camera - all you’ve got to do is breathe and it will fall out. I suppose a clamp comes with the camera?

This rulez https://www.amazon.com/Self-Fusing-Silicone-Tape-Transparent-1-x-10/dp/B01LZU53UJ/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1523609593&sr=8-9&keywords=silicon+tape

9 hours ago, Stryfe said:

I concur, the NX1 is my benchmark for 4K video quality.  That paired with the S lenses is still unmatched damn near 4 years after it's release!  

yes nx1 was the move of a company that had no camera lineup to protect so they delivered all they could in a single camera. i had to return my nx1 because of the many software bugs, i really hope samsung delivers a nx2 FF camera at $2000 price point, i am sure they could give sony a7III a good run for their money as they have better hardware/software stack to reuse from their smartphone ecosystem.

9 hours ago, Stryfe said:

I concur, the NX1 is my benchmark for 4K video quality.  That paired with the S lenses is still unmatched damn near 4 years after it's release!  

i am 100% sure the nx1 28Mpix sensor downsampled to 4k will beat hands down the bmpc4k 8mpix sensor for details/resolution on a 4k screen but consumed on a 5" 1080p smartphone screen where resolution is less critical, bmpcc4k should have better color, we will see when it comes out.

1 hour ago, amanieux said:

(...)

i am 100% sure the nx1 28Mpix sensor downsampled to 4k will beat hands down the bmpc4k 8mpix sensor for details/resolution.

Resolution for sure not : ) Details? Will you need to end there even risking to end with oversharpened borders for outcome? No way you reach that as actually real cinematic, count on it if so : )) As much as no details will praise the cheater, no good devil you'll find in the details when more than anything, perception is your game after all (E :-)

8 hours ago, jonpais said:

That's why god gave us velcro.

2 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Resolution for sure not : ) Details? Will you need to end there even risking to end with oversharpened borders for outcome? No way you reach that as actually real cinematic, count on it if so : )) As much as no details will praise the cheater, no good devil you'll find in the details when more than anything, perception is your game after all (E :-)

what i mean by resolution is effective resolution, i remember canon 1080p having less visible resolution than gh3 in 720p.

13 hours ago, Damphousse said:

So will the atrocious rolling shutter.  No free lunch.

sure but rolling shutter only show up on quick pan or fast moving objects, which must be 5% of the time but low texture details shows up on every single frame

17 hours ago, amanieux said:

the weakest point of this camera will be resolution : with only 8 mpix on a bayer mask it means that yuv information will be interpolated in 4k. a 24mpix sensor that scales downs to 4k like sony a6500 will have 3x more details and it will be very easy to notice. 

Yes, notice as video. What matters most is the effective color resolution, and in that the BMPCC2 will be better. Introducing more spatial resolution without also increasing color resolution results in the video look. Something looks off, and it is discontinuity in color gradient  as it does not change at the same frequency as does the spatial information 

the weakest point of this camera will be resolution : with only 8 mpix on a bayer mask it means that yuv information will be interpolated in 4k. a 24mpix sensor that scales downs to 4k like sony a6500 will have 3x more details and it will be very easy to notice. 

I'll take color and recoverable information over pure resolution any day.

The Alexa Mini in open gate is a 7.5mp camera... I haven’t heard many people complain about detail. Obviously the P2 won’t be nearly as good as an Alexa Mini, but there is a reason why the P1 was often referred to as a Baby Alexa.

But yeah if you prefer Red over Alexa, you may also prefer sLog from the a6500 over BMDFilm on the P2.

19 minutes ago, mercer said:

The Alexa Mini in open gate is a 7.5mp camera... I haven’t heard many people complain about detail. Obviously the P2 won’t be nearly as good as an Alexa Mini, but there is a reason why the P1 was often referred to as a Baby Alexa.

But yeah if you prefer Red over Alexa, you may also prefer sLog from the a6500 over BMDFilm on the P2.

i have not looked at alexa mini but here is a difference in detail between  a7sII vs a6300 for 4k video , look at the detail on the bricks in the center https://ibb.co/jghu47

26 minutes ago, Snuff said:

Cinematographers often use diffusion filters to make image more soft, film-like, less digital looking. So high resolution is not always the very important part of a good looking picture.

Glimmerglass TM 1.jpg

No filter.jpg

agree that diffusion filters are very often used but high resolution + diffusion filter in not the same kind of dreamy like softness in the image as blurriness from lack of resolution