Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

• Super Members
3 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Is a pity it doesn't have more than one output from the BMPCC4K, as then you could have a LUT on one output for the client and no LUT for your own monitoring. 

If its like the Ursa, you should be able to have one (or none) for your camera LCD and a different one for the HDMI output.

If you wanted to use an external monitor for yourself as well then you could go out of the HDMI without a LUT, through your monitor (without a LUT) and into the client monitor where you have a LUT applied there.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
12 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I think it will help that this sensor has been available for quite a while so is a known entity and they've had the opportunity to study what other companies are doing with it.

That, combined with using the same OS as the Ursa, should make it much more of an integration job rather than a ground up development.

Add on Blackmagic now having another 5 years experience of learned lessons of development of building cameras and its not unreasonable to suspect it will be plainer sailing this time round.

Exactly my thoughts too, I'm expecting a smoother roll out than some other BMD camera launches. 

2 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

If you wanted to use an external monitor for yourself as well then you could go out of the HDMI without a LUT, through your monitor (without a LUT) and into the client monitor where you have a LUT applied there.

Yup, normal workflow again for cameras without the ability to apply LUTs. But a pity that a camera which can apply LUTs (this new Pocket) doesn't have an extra output option to fully make use of this (maybe the USB-C is an option here like someone else mentioned). Love they've got a full size HDMI output, but what if they'd had a full size HDMI *and* a micro HDMI output?!

12 hours ago, Luke Mason said:

Here are two more screenshots, there are three dynamic range modes (video, extended video and film), these were shot with "film" at ISO 3200 if I remember correctly:

Interesting, does the UMP have "extended video"?  I've never seen it on the BMCC/BMPCC. 

12 hours ago, Luke Mason said:

They didn't tape the card slot, so... ;)

I am surprised they didn't just GLUE the cards into the slots on the cameras (as it is an easy part to replace themselves after the tradeshow). 

2 hours ago, Snowfun said:

The Bluetooth feature... I so want to post a picture on reduser of me controlling the Pocket 4K using a Hydrogen...

I want to see the reaction on reduser when you share that image

59 minutes ago, sanveer said:

I think that's being unreasonable. For the buck, they are already giving WAY more than anyone else.  

I'd rather have an internal eND than have 4K 60fps

5 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I want to see the reaction on reduser when you share that image

4k 60fps was the instant preorder spec for me, If you shoot fashion or MV it s almost mandatory, for ND since It s M4/3 there are adapters with NDs you can slide on. 

10 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I always hear people saying BM is bad in low light, and that's been fixed with dual ISO, so now people are saying it's letting in too much light and we need NDs. Jeez.

You can stick an ND filter on the end of your lens, but you can't add lowlight capabilities or double the fps afterwards. NDs would be nice, but far from a reason not to buy this camera.

2 hours ago, jonpais said:

Who needs to see footage. It's the best camera. Pre-order it! 

Am not preordering anything. I am just happy to have plenty of options to choose from. I am waiting for sony to release the a7s3 and everything will be laid on the table to be picked.

We are so lucky to live these days. I eman to be able to choose between gh5s - BMPCC4k - and soon to be out a7s3  - nice!!

29 minutes ago, Laurier said:

4k 60fps was the instant preorder spec for me, If you shoot fashion or MV it s almost mandatory, for ND since It s M4/3 there are adapters with NDs you can slide on. 

They're still slower than built in ones. 

And you can't use it with a focal reducer, or with native lenses. 

53 minutes ago, amanieux said:

with raw recording at 1TByte/hour, a internal m2 slot for cheap m2 ssd would have been a much better choice (smaller volume than their choice of cf+sd slots and a 1TByte m2 ssd is only $230 so it is cheaper, offers larger capacities and it is much faster than sd or cf https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073SB2MXT/ref=twister_B07BXC53V5

Those aren't meant for swapping out all the time like SD or CFast. Maybe in some kind of sled, or a U.2 configuration. CFexpress is the NVMe standard coming up, but nobody's implemented it in a camera yet so far as I know. Maybe in the next generation of cameras...

24 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

They're still slower than built in ones. 

And you can't use it with a focal reducer, or with native lenses. 

I was hoping Sony was going to pump their hybrid tech into the FS5II, but that turned out to be a major dud. Their auto e-ND is unmatched so far. Panasonic has an 8K sensor with GS and on-sensor ND coming; no announcement yet on what camera (wouldn't be surprised to see that on a Varicam first), or when, but that tech IS coming sooner rather than later.

The likely achilles heel of the Pocket 4K IMHO are the prominently exposed ventilation slots on the lens turret, even on the upper side of the camera. I means that the camera (aside from not being weather-sealed in any way) should never be used in any rainy/humid or dusty environment. - Anything that lands on the camera and travels through these slots will end up on the sensor.

Just now, cantsin said:

The likely achilles heel of the Pocket 4K IMHO are the prominently exposed ventilation slots on the lens turret, even on the upper side of the camera. I means that the camera (aside from not being weather-sealed in any way) should never be used in any rainy/humid or dusty environment. - Anything that lands on the camera and travels through these slots will end up on the sensor.

Andrew already said it's a patented water cooling system.

2 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I agree with him, in the photography still world the technical performance has plateaued out, with only incremental improvements now. 

When will we reach this in the video world?

I reckon the BMPCC4K could be the beginning of the end. 

Nah, not until GS & on-sensor ND hits. And maybe a Foveon-style thrown in to boot.  But all that technology exists, along with CFexpress to record it on (even 8K raw). Also DPAF. The problem is getting all that in a camera from the same manufacturer. Ugh.

7 minutes ago, jonpais said:

@IronFilm That's a bold statement. Fanboy, not?

Note I said:

10 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I reckon the BMPCC4K could be the beginning of the end. 

Because with 4K 60fps raw, and even greater HD slow motion, and pretty high DR and good lowlight, what really is left? 

Of course just like the folks in the stills world there is a never ending list of "more" wanted!

But I reckon just like the stills world we might get soon to point we can worry less about the technical quality of the image, and more about everything else. (such as ergonomics, or having built in NDs, I/O options, TC, wireless, or focus tracking, etc)

14 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Andrew already said it's a patented water cooling system.

@jonpais, are you familiar with Poe's law? Irony (often) doesn't work on the Internet, and in this case I (and potentially) other completely misunderstood your reply, until I dug into Andrew's recent postings and realized that you are referring to this one here: 

So, just for clarification, the BMPCC4K doesn't have a water cooling system (as it is actually exists for PCs).  Humidity and dust can travel into the camera/onto the sensor through the prominently exposed fans.

There's plenty left, @IronFilm . Many need IBIS for their work. Many need eye detection. Many need reliable autofocus. Many need good weather sealing. Anamorphic de-squeeze. A tilting screen. Wifi. Smaller file sizes. The full frame look. Any number of things. There is no camera to rule them all - never was, never will be.

2 minutes ago, cantsin said:

@jonpais, are you familiar with Poe's law? Irony (often) doesn't work on the Internet, and in this case I (and potentially) other completely misunderstood your reply, until I dug into Andrew's recent postings and realized that you are referring to this one here: 

So, just for clarification, the BMPCC4K doesn't have a water cooling system (as it is actually exists for PCs).  Humidity and dust can travel into the camera/sensor through the prominently exposed fans.

Thought it was pretty clear. Next time I'll provide clarification by way of smiley faces.

4 minutes ago, jonpais said:

There's plenty left, @IronFilm . Many need IBIS for their work.

Watch his video, this is exactly his point, it is all these non-sensor / non-codec stuff which people need. But essentially the days of pixel peeping might soon be "over" (like it is in the stills world already, or so he claims).