Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Snowfun said:

The Bluetooth feature... I so want to post a picture on reduser of me controlling the Pocket 4K using a Hydrogen...

On a more serious note, what sort of remote control might we anticipate?

It is the same protocol as the Ursa and BMD have already released the documents so there is nothing stopping someone working on products for it now in time to be ready for launch.

It is Bluetooth LE so is much easier to talk to directly from cheap single board computers if someone wants to make a hardware controller.

So you can expect anything from phone apps, basic start/stop triggers to full blown hand grips full of buttons mapped to all controls.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, jonpais said:

If I may chime in about crowdfunding flavors, for the life of me, I can't see how announcing the Pocket 4K five months in advance is going to prevent anyone from purchasing another camera. $1,300.00 is chump change.

My point is company behavior - when A7 III or GH5 s were anounced, we already have many footage from testers to judge quality, and delaying time was not too long.  Now we have half a year of promise and still not a single footage. Why then so hurry to preorder it? In what phase of development is new GH6 after two year of finishing GH5 - or A7S III... and what we will think about Panasonic if they come with prototype model and ask to preorder it somewhere about autumn?

It is not correct, or it is just new flavor of crowfunding - i. e. crowd funding something... time. Black magic is parasience based on de/reconstruction time and space :)

12 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I'm wondering if you can have a baked in LUT on the HDMI output whilst simultaneously recording RAW without one?

It offers some interesting possibilities if you can....

I'd assume/hope so, as that is just an extremely normal workflow for many MANY productions. 

Record raw/log for the best results, but apply a LUT on the image you sent to the client monitor so that they don't freak out! :grimace:

• Super Members
1 minute ago, sanveer said:

I doubt that. They are happy offering ProRes or whatever else by the HDMI out. .

I thought the wink thing would've got the point across that I wasn't entirely serious?

2 minutes ago, sanveer said:

Curiously having RAW via HDMI won't solve the problem. The Price Difference is too great.

It would do in terms of @IronFilm 's point that I was actually answering regarding how you would match the BMPCC4K and a GH5 if you had both.

22 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I think the commonality of the sensor between the two will potentially make that less challenging.

The GH5 and BMPCC5K sensor are very different? It is the GH5S and BMPCC4K sensors which have a similarity. 

12 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

There is a lot of people on here that have got, or owned the original BMPCC. I had one myself and have kicked myself in the ass for ever selling it.You just have to have used one to appreciate how fabulous the output on them were, are. And this camera makes it look like a model T.

They are not made to run around like a chicken with your head cut off, they are a slow and steady as you go camera. They are mostly a tripod camera to get the best out of them, just like any Cine camera has to be for the most part. Sure there are rigs for them but they really were a pain in the butt to use. They have a look like no other camera under 5000 bucks or more. And this new one is even WAY better. Beating 10,000 dollar cameras.

(emphasis mine)

I've used the BMPCC almost naked while running around like a headless chicken at weddings. 

12 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Or RAW to CFast card and ProRes to SD card both internally. I'd like that.

Raw to the CFast and 720P ProRes Proxy files to the SD card for folks like me who have a totally useless PC to edit on with a proxy workflow. 

• Super Members
7 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I'd assume/hope so, as that is just an extremely normal workflow for many MANY productions. 

Record raw/log for the best results, but apply a LUT on the image you sent to the client monitor so that they don't freak out! :grimace:

The Ursa Mini Pro can have a different LUT on each of its monitoring outputs so I'm hopeful too but I suppose its another wait and see.

12 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I've used the BMPCC almost naked while running around like a headless chicken at weddings. 

Its the pluralisation of wedding that concerns me most about that statement !

3 hours ago, Jim Giberti said:

Agree this makes no sense. ProRes is a pretty primary feature of all BM cameras and it has the other flavors now.

Plus FCPX is about to release the new update w/ ProRes RAW. I can't imagine they don't want to encourage as many cameras and users as possibe to use it.

EDIT:  this information was covered by a prior post in this stream.   No need to read this,

The rumored is that Atomos has a period of exclusive use. Hence Apple cannot license ProRes RAW to BM. 

12 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

If it does RAW over USB C at same time as ProRes to card... That would be an easy solution.

I have a feeling one might switch off though, otherwise it becomes a Pocket grenade.

I've got no idea whether this is relevant or not, or whether the question's already been answered, but John Brawley says 

Dual recording will never happen on any current BMD hardware. The way each recording codec runs on it’s own firmware and the way that works is that it has to reboot a different firmware when you change a codec or resolution or project frame rate. 

Notice when you you change a codec setting it’s a couple of seconds to get back to the live image ? That’s your camera re-starting :-). It just happens so fast few realise that’s what’s going on.

9 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

The Ursa Mini Pro can have a different LUT on each of its monitoring outputs so I'm hopeful too but I suppose its another wait and see.

Is a pity it doesn't have more than one output from the BMPCC4K, as then you could have a LUT on one output for the client and no LUT for your own monitoring. 

2 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Dual recording will never happen on any current BMD hardware. The way each recording codec runs on it’s own firmware and the way that works is that it has to reboot a different firmware when you change a codec or resolution or project frame rate. 

Notice when you you change a codec setting it’s a couple of seconds to get back to the live image ? That’s your camera re-starting :-). It just happens so fast few realise that’s what’s going on.

Damn it!

2 hours ago, anonim said:

Thanks for clarification :) As I wrote, and to repeat total nonsense  - it looks like black magic flavor of crowdfunding...

I mean, it is new flavor - BM so often redefine the game, so it looks like innovative (delaying) version: stop buyers to buy competitive products in expecting your and mobilizing eco system third part creators. If you like more nonsense - it looks to me as time-based crowdfunding :) (Because time is money... at least in one version of definition.)

I remember situation with BMCCC camera - year and half after preordering buyers didn't get it... I hope it is not the case now... with all really great respect, with BM history I learned to often reckon on word "hope".

I used to work in finance. Some companies can get loans against their order book.

1 minute ago, IronFilm said:

Is a pity it doesn't have more than one output from the BMPCC4K, as then you could have a LUT on one output for the client and no LUT for your own monitoring. 

I wonder if you could use USB-C as a monitoring output. It obviously sends the picture out to record to thumbdrives so what about a USB monitor?

12 hours ago, anonim said:

But here I noticed that several visitors confirm the same - to quote one of them: "Blackmagic people were unwilling to say anything on camera." I don't understand why.

It is normal for many brands across many industries to be comfortable to say one thing in person but not be comfortable for it to be filmed for the entire WORLD to then see. 

12 hours ago, Django said:

@anonim my guess is the prototype was barely made ready in time for NAB (may i remind the rubber port cover that broke off during grant's presentation lol). pretty sure they aren't saying much because they themselves probably haven't had a chance to see/do much with it. it's pretty much specs & a prototype at this point i think.

Ah yeah, I remember that popping off! That was funny. Must have given Grant a mini heart attack. 

2 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

I wonder if you could use USB-C as a monitoring output. It obviously sends the picture out to record to thumbdrives so what about a USB monitor?

Hmmmm.... that is an interesting thought. 

3 minutes ago, Philip Lipetz said:

I used to work in finance. Some companies can get loans against their order book.

That wouldn't be the CROWDs financing it. 

It would be a bank (or similar) doing the funding, and even then the funds are not given (like a kickstarter campaign is) but is simply loaned.