Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

3 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I am beginning to believe the photo mode on this camera will probably ens up being like the, what was it, the Oly EM mk II with a 4k Frame grab?? Probably will be in the 8mp range. Maybe not a frame grab, but I don't see how it can be much over 8mp. But hey that gets the job done for a lot of stuff. The sensor tops out at 10.7MP so it can't be more than. And I doubt that is even the effective output.

Presume it will be 10.2MP, assuming it’s the same Sony sensor as GH5S 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 4/10/2018 at 6:16 PM, Emanuel said:

Still on topic... This is a Mark II product. From a well-known camera manufacturer and Resolve provider, amongst other goodies.

Far away to be any introductory technology based on crowdfunding. Well, unless we have to call the mainstream RED the same... ;-)

Exactly. 

And also because it is a Mark II product I expect it will ship with less teething issues than some past BMD products have had. 

On 4/10/2018 at 6:22 PM, Mark Romero 2 said:

A Ha!!! Now you know how we sony a6500 owners felt when the GH5 came out...

:grin:

In all seriousness, I might sell my Sonys and buy an GH5 and some MFT lenses and then pick up the BMPCC4K when it comes out in September.

Don't worry, you can look at the a6300 owners and think about how they felt when your a6500 came out! ;-)

23 hours ago, cantsin said:

Blackmagic has clearly stated at NAB that the 1080p mode is windowed.

But is that only when doing HFR? 

Can it be non-windowed in 1080 24p? I would assume so. 

23 hours ago, tyger11 said:

120p HFR is windowed, full sensor downsample to 1080p at 60p was also mentioned though.

Whoops, I spoke too soon. 

23 hours ago, JordanWright said:

Duel ISO's are 800 & 3200! No in camera NR.

No in camera NR is what makes it so impressive how clean it has been according to people who have seen it. 

23 hours ago, jonpais said:

Just to put things in perspective, BMD's net worth is $300 million, while Panasonic's is probably in the hundreds of billions of dollars. But no argument that BMD is a force to be reckoned with.

Does Grant Petty own 100% of BMD?

23 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I don't think they are mutually exclusive either.

Its more the GH5s that has the problem as far as I can see.

Prices of a used GH5 are currently dipping below £1.2k and will be further deflated by the time the Pocket 4K  actually arrives to be more or less a flat £1k.

If you add in the value of the full version of Resolve then that means you could have a GH5 AND the Pocket 4K with Resolve for pretty much the same price as the GH5s and Resolve.

In that scenario, where I could have the best of both worlds in terms of a highly featured and capable all rounder AND a cinema oriented one for the same total price (especially as they share a common lens system) then I'd really struggle to choose the GH5s over that.

A solid case is made for that. 

But the only downside I might see of that dual camera set up is GH5 & BMPCC4K might not match as easily for quick turn arounds as using two Panasonic cameras together in a two camera shoot. 

22 hours ago, Simon Young said:

I think we should think about the fact it’s supposed to be possible to load up custom LUTs on the camera, not only for monitoring but you’ll be able to bake them in. This is potentially huge for fast turnover shooting and something we’ve seen is detrimental to the image quality, which James Miller has shown with the GH5. 

Custom LUTs is a big thing I'm looking forward to about the BMPCC4K

20 hours ago, jonpais said:

None at the moment. Perhaps at launch or in a firmware update?

I thought it does? As the the URSA Mini has WFM, and they share the same underlying OS

18 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

Am I wrong thinking the BM windows at 120fps, but not 100fps? If so, that's great for PAL land :D 

No windowing at 100fps is impressive

11 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Well I think you are not too up to speed about Codecs. If you think having more compressed data is a good thing well have a nice day. Hell don't buy it, that makes me higher up in the Que.

And if AF and IBIS is important then buy a camera with it in it, but don't knock it because it doesn't have it. Christ 2 years ago nobody even heard of IBIS, how the hell did anybody ever shoot stuff? Buy a GH5 or a X-H1, it sounds like what would work for you.

I compared the 10bit ALL-I on the GH5 with external 10 bit ProresHQ at 400% on a 4K monitor, and the Panasonic codec looked better with finer detail, nicer grain pattern. The prores looked blocky at 400%. 

I think modern compressed codecs are more sophisticated than Prores and much smaller file size 

7 minutes ago, John Jay said:

I compared the 10bit ALL-I on the GH5 with external 10 bit ProresHQ at 400% on a 4K monitor, and the Panasonic codec looked better with finer detail, nicer grain pattern. The prores looked blocky at 400%. 

I think modern compressed codecs are more sophisticated than Prores and much smaller file size 

FWIW, wolfcrow also tested the GH5 with the Atomos and recommended using the internal codec instead. Same issue - strange artifacts. 

If I may chime in about crowdfunding flavors, for the life of me, I can't see how announcing the Pocket 4K five months in advance is going to prevent anyone from purchasing another camera. $1,300.00 is chump change.

3 minutes ago, cojocaru27 said:

still no footage from the camera itself yet? 

I saw an interview where Grant Petty said he's been unable to film, because he can't walk around with a prototype camera incase he was spotted and it leaked. Now they're at NAB until the end of the week, but he's hoping to film some stuff on Friday. My guess is we won't see that footage, but they'll be releasing something within a month or so. just my guess though.

7 hours ago, squig said:

Old BMPCC filmconvert SuperX 400 profile.

GWpOpqc.jpg

viWKkjR.jpg

Uhhhhh, this looks so excellent. I can't wait to horse around with LUTs

2 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

But what you held wasn't what they'll ship. The models that we get will be made with a different material, so I wouldn't judge that too quickly for now.

It is a butt ugly beast - no trophy wife material here, but hey don't judge a camera by its cover. It's the inner values innit?

• Super Members
1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

A solid case is made for that. 

But the only downside I might see of that dual camera set up is GH5 & BMPCC4K might not match as easily for quick turn arounds as using two Panasonic cameras together in a two camera shoot. 

I think the commonality of the sensor between the two will potentially make that less challenging.

With the ability to bake in a LUT on the BMPCC4K there does present an opportunity to have it produce out of camera footage that matches Panasonic's internal profiles more closely. Some sort of unifying LUT for the BMPCC4K, such as a version of the Leeming LUT for it, would have potential.

Plus, of course, by then Panasonic will have yielded to public pressure and enabled RAW through HDMI for the GH5 ;)

7 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I think the commonality of the sensor between the two will potentially make that less challenging.

With the ability to bake in a LUT on the BMPCC4K there does present an opportunity to have it produce out of camera footage that matches Panasonic's internal profiles more closely. Some sort of unifying LUT for the BMPCC4K, such as a version of the Leeming LUT for it, would have potential.

Plus, of course, by then Panasonic will have yielded to public pressure and enabled RAW through HDMI for the GH5 ;)

Precisely. Paul Leeming has already promised to make a LUT for the Pocket 4K.

2 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Precisely. Paul Leeming has already promised to make a LUT for the Pocket 4K.

That's brilliant, I assumed he would, but didn't know he already promised. In theory then, you can make the BMPCC4KiiABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ and any other camera match up pretty well with just a few clicks, and fine tune from there. Luckily you can't be understocked for LUTs because I think that's going to sell very well.

16 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Agreed with him, internal NDs is the big feature missing from the BMPCC4K

I think that's being unreasonable. For the buck, they are already giving WAY more than anyone else.  

5 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I doubt that. They are happy offering ProRes or whatever else by the HDMI out. If Panasonic feels the heat (which nobody would really deny) they may reduce prices of their GH line. Other manufacturers may not really feel the pinch, because a lot of those don't really make the cut due to the 10-bit 4-2-2 mandate Netflix and other VoD and Broadcasters, and the limited recording times on those cameras are also a huge let down. I am guessing sales of the A7s series will be hit, because it too does good low light (much better), and it too has limited functionaliy as a photo shooting stills camera. 

Therefore, in essence, the BMPCCii has targetted the GH5 and GH5s' customers.

Curiously having RAW via HDMI won't solve the problem. The Price Difference is too great.