Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

1 minute ago, Jim Giberti said:

I think it's interesting that in all of the promo shots and in all of Grant's interviews the Pocket2 always has an Oly 24-40mm on it

I understand their choice from an aesthetic perspective it looks good on the camera...almost like a system.
But I have one pretty much always mounted on one of our Micros.
It's kind of a perfect "all around" lens for the new camera - a relative 25-83mm 2.8, it will allow for push AF and has great two stage manual focusing and it's the sharpest zoom I've shot with.

They will Obviously avoid being seen using Panny lenses. After using the Same sensor as Panny and probably doing a better job with it, albeit at Half the Price.  

I am guessing that Grant using the strangely placed record button and pointing the camera towards himself to make a video would imply something. Maybe their autofocus has improved substantially. Maybe he didn't mention it cause the sensor obviously doesn't have PDAF, but it may have autofocus as good or bad as Panasonic (bad for continuous).

I am also guessing that Blackmagic is planning to unveil some more interesting tricks with the BPCC ii, when they finally have it in the hands. Right now, this is enough to stir up the hornet's nest.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 hours ago, mercer said:

To update a previous comment where I mentioned waveform. I had thought I read it on BH but apparently I read it in the Cinema5D article. There is no mention of it having waveform monitoring on the BH site and in the pictures it doesn’t show waveform as an option in the monitor menu, so unless Cinema5D is privy to information that we are not, then there is no reason to assume the Pocket II will have internal waveform monitoring.

With that being said, it does have false color and in my experience false color can be more useful for quick, on the fly, exposure adjustments. Ymmv.

Yeah, I'm a big false color user myself, and I wish Panasonic added that to my GH5S.

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

I have to say, after a side by side hands on next to my GH5 and GH5S... well it did fell a bit like a cheap toy. Nowhere near the build quality of those cameras. You can immediately tell corners were cut.

2 minutes ago, DBounce said:

I have to say, after a side by side hands on next to my GH5 and GH5S... well it did fell a bit like a cheap toy. Nowhere near the build quality of those cameras. You can immediately tell corners were cut.

But what you held wasn't what they'll ship. The models that we get will be made with a different material, so I wouldn't judge that too quickly for now.

8 hours ago, Luke Mason said:

Trust me, I have my hands on some ProRes and DNG materials from the camera (acquired from NAB), it's clean af up to about 6400. Noise pattern is very pleasant fine grain, due to lack of compression obviously. The sensor is confirmed to be IMX294CJK, it's the STARVIS line from Sony Semicon with BSI design, originally intended for low light surveillance.

ProRes screenshot:

Untitled_1.3.2.thumb.jpg.105b19fac9c94fc8d12b796f845a025b.jpg

Have you compared this footage to some properly captured GH5S footage? I'm very curious how they compare?

1 minute ago, Anaconda_ said:

But what you held wasn't what they'll ship. The models that we get will be made with a different material, so I wouldn't judge that too quickly for now.

The rep said it will be polycarbonate (plastic) with carbon fiber reinforcements. 

Don't expect it to feel like a magnesium alloy camera. You will be disappointed. Corners had to be cut to make the price point.

5 minutes ago, DBounce said:

The rep said it will be polycarbonate (plastic) with carbon fiber reinforcements. 

Don't expect it to feel like a magnesium alloy camera. You will be disappointed. Corners had to be cut to make the price point.

Nikon has been using the same stuff in the front half of the Nikon D810 for years. This has been proven to work. It isn't going to be a toy camera, holy crap.

How many magnesium alloy cameras do you think Canon makes? The sky is falling.

10 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

Wow just discovered Prores Raw. This code is huge game changer for me, speed editing and low weight of prores with raw color grading opportunity. Wonder why they did not put that in this camera... maybe soft update

I asked... It was a licensing matter with Apple. 

3 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Nikon has been using the same stuff in the front half of the Nikon D810 for years. This has been proven to work. It isn't going to be a toy camera, holy crap.

As a former BMPCC owner I can only tell you my impression after a hands on. 

1 minute ago, DBounce said:

I asked... It was a licensing matter with Apple. 

Damn it. I really like Apple products and software i really do. But they are a real PITFA when it comes to open. 

On the other hand DJI supports prores raw as others do also so no excuse for BM. They are probably looking at what people say now 

I remember them saying they already have an open RAW format in Cinema DNG, so want to see what ProRes RAW will add for the user before applying for the license. I can't see why they wouldn't include it and I doubt Apple would say no. Blackmagic have always used ProRes, so why would Apple stop them now?

Anyway, those images look fantastic and I can't wait to see how it'll look in the real world. The lighting on that set is very deliberate, which makes sense. As always though, seeing how it works in daylight, or moon light, or candle light is going to be exciting in the run-up to release

9 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Blackmagic have always used ProRes, so why would Apple stop them now?

Agree this makes no sense. ProRes is a pretty primary feature of all BM cameras and it has the other flavors now.

Plus FCPX is about to release the new update w/ ProRes RAW. I can't imagine they don't want to encourage as many cameras and users as possibe to use it.

On 4/10/2018 at 2:33 PM, webrunner5 said:

Has Anyone found out the sensor MP and the MP for the Photo mode? is the the 11, 12mp in the GH5s, or 20mm like in the GH5, or maybe 8mp stills like just using 4k etc. etc.

20mp is impossible, the sensor itself is not capable of that. You can expect instead very similar options to the GH5S in many ways. 

On 4/10/2018 at 2:34 PM, SR said:

Jesus Christ I didn't get enough sleep. And here I just wanted a better screen.

New to the micro43 sensor size here, but I'm planning on jumping in with a speedbooster and Sigma 18-35 (nikon or canon?), making it roughly a 23-45mm lens. Any suggestions for lenses that might pair beautifully with the camera for cinematic images?

Choose Nikon, cheaper and easier to adapt to other mounts. 

http://ironfilm.co.nz/rokinon-cine-lenses/

On 4/10/2018 at 2:47 PM, SR said:

If their reaction to the original Pocket is any indicator, I highly doubt it too.

I bet 2018 will pass by without any of the traditional companies putting raw video (or even raw video output) into any of their stills cameras.

On 4/10/2018 at 3:35 PM, jonpais said:

In the cinema5D interview, Grant Petty was making it out to be perfect for selfies. Not sure what’s up with that.

It did seem very strange to me to say that about a camera which doesn't have a screen that can face you!! :-/

8 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

It did seem very strange to me to say that about a camera which doesn't have a screen that can face you!! :-/

I would also hold a camera with my right hand if I was going to film myself, and I assumer most right handed people would do the same, so that extra record button won't be all that helpfull. In the presentation, Grant noted he was left handed, and so it's perfect for him. Selfish man! :grimace:

On 4/10/2018 at 4:12 PM, Matt Kieley said:

Plus I'm sure the used prices for the first Pocket will go down low enough that there would be more to gain by just keeping it than selling.

I'll be very curious if come September if the Pocket and Micro Cinema secondhand prices will finally drop below US$500 (which is what the BMPCC used to sell for new!)

On 4/10/2018 at 5:52 PM, anonim said:

To me It looks like black magic flavor of crowdfunding...

Total nonsense. 

Crowdfunding is to get money in before manufacturing starts.

While BMD won't see a penny of this prior to them being sold to the dealers 

5 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Total nonsense. 

Crowdfunding is to get money in before manufacturing starts.

While BMD won't see a penny of this prior to them being sold to the dealers 

Thanks for clarification :) As I wrote, and to repeat total nonsense  - it looks like black magic flavor of crowdfunding...

I mean, it is new flavor - BM so often redefine the game, so it looks like innovative (delaying) version: stop buyers to buy competitive products in expecting your and mobilizing eco system third part creators. If you like more nonsense - it looks to me as time-based crowdfunding :) (Because time is money... at least in one version of definition.)

I remember situation with BMCCC camera - year and half after preordering buyers didn't get it... I hope it is not the case now... with all really great respect, with BM history I learned to often reckon on word "hope".

On 4/10/2018 at 5:52 PM, sanveer said:

Btw I still didn't figure out why there is money flying around that biker in that scene with the camera. 

It is all the money they saved by buying a BMPCC4K!

image.thumb.png.74d93de9d31b54b511fa31b9db9a7a03.png

5 minutes ago, anonim said:

Thanks for clarification :) As I wrote, and to repeat total nonsense  - it looks like black magic flavor of crowdfunding...

I think just adding the word "flavor" in the front stretches the meaning of the word rather too far!

5 minutes ago, anonim said:

I mean, it is new flavor - BM so often redefine the game, so it looks like innovative (delaying) version: stop buyers to buy competitive products in expecting your and mobilizing eco system third part creators. If you like more nonsense - it looks to me as time-based crowdfunding :) (Because time is money... at least in one version of definition.)

Tonnes of companies do this!

This is a major source of leaks/rumors you see on websites, is companies strategically releasing some new info so as to keep buyers within the fold and not drifting off to a competitor's product. 

And is why they will at times talk officially too about products they have in development. For instance Zoom showing off the F8n might have stopped me wandering off to consider other recorders for my next purchase, instead waiting a few more months to see what happens with the F8n in July.