Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
32 minutes ago, Luke Mason said:

Trust me, I have my hands on some ProRes and DNG materials from the camera (acquired from NAB), it's clean af up to about 6400. Noise pattern is very pleasant fine grain, due to lack of compression obviously. The sensor is confirmed to be IMX294CJK, it's the STARVIS line from Sony Semicon with BSI design, originally intended for low light surveillance.

ProRes screenshot:

Untitled_1.3.2.thumb.jpg.105b19fac9c94fc8d12b796f845a025b.jpg

Wow. I am curious though, why is it at 3840 x 2160 instead of 4096 x 2160? 

Nice image, and how did you get this one. 

1 minute ago, Luke Mason said:

It was the default setting on the camera, UHD 4K instead of DCI 4K, all of them are ISO 3200.

They didn't tape the card slot, so... ;)

Wow. You're a star. I wonder if Andrew woupd be so kind, as to award you the star of the day for today. ?

1 minute ago, Luke Mason said:

If you have been watching the NAB coverage, you'll know that it's a studio scene set up with cameras and monitors around it.

No I haven’t, but I work in the trade show industry, so I was just curious. Pretty cool. I had an opportunity to work NAB this year but my schedule conflicted... maybe next year, it seems like a lot of fun. 

2 hours ago, Mokara said:

Can't shoot much stuff with a shell containing no electronics inside ;)

So he faked the shot of the audience from the external drive that he ingested and played back on Davinci. There are tens of videos now from the camera at the show with at least live view, why you don't go there and find out those liars Mr Sherlock.

1 hour ago, Luke Mason said:

Trust me, I have my hands on some ProRes and DNG materials from the camera (acquired from NAB), it's clean af up to about 6400. Noise pattern is very pleasant fine grain, due to lack of compression obviously. The sensor is confirmed to be IMX294CJK, it's the STARVIS line from Sony Semicon with BSI design, originally intended for low light surveillance.

ProRes screenshot:

Untitled_1.3.2.thumb.jpg.105b19fac9c94fc8d12b796f845a025b.jpg

Would it be able for you to upload the original camera video file somewhere (for example, WeTransfer, with the download link here on the forum)?

2 hours ago, mercer said:

I fervently agree. I am as excited as hell for this camera... even though I’ll wait until they’re readily available to buy one.

I was just trying to make a point that it’s possible that this camera’s specs, specifically high ISO, won’t live up to the expectations. These, all BM, cameras have quirks and issues like magenta casts, fixed pattern noise, black hole sun, deadlines not being met... so I hope people are prepared for this instead of jumping on board and expecting something this won’t be and then spreading hatred because their unrealistic expectations weren’t met.

I mean, hell there are already posts questioning and hoping for great AF... I can tell you right now... it won’t be good. 

I think speculation are off the chart, this clearly doesn't seems to be the same sensor tech used by BM since now. Them advertising +1600 ISO is a massive change from their camera before this one. Many thing points at a Sony sensor and we know what we can expect a bit from Sony sensor's and it would be much better that what was the case from previous BM cameras. So I say, better wait before applying some general rule to previous BM cams and workflows.

Playing with the file, nice

bmc gradded.jpg

1 hour ago, anonim said:

Is it common outcome that after presentation of "final" product and open pre-order selling still rest so much unanswered questions? It is not rhetorically question - simply I've never paid to much attention on usual promotional behavior...

But here I noticed that several visitors confirm the same - to quote one of them: "Blackmagic people were unwilling to say anything on camera." I don't understand why.

Am I wrong when it seems to me that at the moment we really dispose mostly with glaring promises which, of course, all of us greatly respect and wish or longing for - but we actually know very little how efficiently they will be implemented? Because we saw so little of examples of promised look and implementation?

I think you know the answer.  Most companies don't do a presentation and then open preorders six months in advance so I am not sure what you expect us to compare it to.

It is 2018.  Blackmagic is a different kind of company.  Frankly Blackmagic of 2018 is different from Blackmagic of 2015.  People are even getting tripped up comparing it to Blackmagic of five years ago.  The product and the company have evolved.

What usually happens with these cameras is you get a bunch of rumors of varying quality from different websites and a company that refuses to answer any questions.  Blackmagic cut out the BS middle man and has given you a lot of the FACTS.  Do you mean to imply you prefer the sketchy rumor route?

What Blackmagic is doing is unusual but I don't get the angst.  Just treat their announcement like you do the rumor sites and wait six months.

27 minutes ago, Danyyyel said:

I think speculation are off the chart, this clearly doesn't seems to be the same sensor tech used by BM since now. Them advertising +1600 ISO is a massive change from their camera before this one. Many thing points at a Sony sensor and we know what we can expect a bit from Sony sensor's and it would be much better that what was the case from previous BM cameras. So I say, better wait before applying some general rule to previous BM cams and workflows.

Playing with the file, nice

bmc gradded.jpg

Good points and nice grade! Honestly, I’m not even being cautious here for myself... if I were to only get the bump in 1080p frame rates at that price, I’d be a happy camper. Everything else is gravy... especially not having to use an IR Cut Filter or anti-aliasing filter. 

But I will add, if people are curious about how good the autofocus is, this camera may not be for them... or who knows, maybe they’ll surprise everybody and have a usable tracking autofocus...