Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

nobody has even shot with this camera or seen actual footage yet you guys sure seem sure about it's IQ.. impressive!

not to be a party pooper but BMD don't exactly hold a perfect track record. remember the FPN issues with BMPC/UM 4K.. or the magenta cast issue on the UM4.6K sensor that had people sending them back? i mean i sure hope BMD have learned from their mistakes but at this point all we got is a shown prototype not even in the final material!

3 minutes ago, mercer said:

Right at one stop away from Base ISO... at two stops or more, I don’t think they’ll be as clean. Most people who shot with the original Pocket would never change their ISO from 800 when shooting ProRes. And with Raw, you could change it all you wanted but the ISO was 800. Again, I assume it will be better but this won’t be an a7s or GH5s.

This is nothing like the original Pocket, everything is different, a lot of years later, from a vastly more mature manufacturer that seems to make all the right things lately (from post to production, from software to hardware). I am expecting to see some footage first, but I am expecting this camera to be vastly superior to the original, and the image was great, even then.

I fervently agree. I am as excited as hell for this camera... even though I’ll wait until they’re readily available to buy one.

I was just trying to make a point that it’s possible that this camera’s specs, specifically high ISO, won’t live up to the expectations. These, all BM, cameras have quirks and issues like magenta casts, fixed pattern noise, black hole sun, deadlines not being met... so I hope people are prepared for this instead of jumping on board and expecting something this won’t be and then spreading hatred because their unrealistic expectations weren’t met.

I mean, hell there are already posts questioning and hoping for great AF... I can tell you right now... it won’t be good. 

Is it common outcome that after presentation of "final" product and open pre-order selling still rest so much unanswered questions? It is not rhetorically question - simply I've never paid to much attention on usual promotional behavior...

But here I noticed that several visitors confirm the same - to quote one of them: "Blackmagic people were unwilling to say anything on camera." I don't understand why.

Am I wrong when it seems to me that at the moment we really dispose mostly with glaring promises which, of course, all of us greatly respect and wish or longing for - but we actually know very little how efficiently they will be implemented? Because we saw so little of examples of promised look and implementation?

• Super Members
5 minutes ago, mercer said:

So I hope people are prepared for this instead of jumping on board and expecting something this won’t be and then spreading hatred because their unrealistic expectations weren’t met.

I think you are completely disregarding the fact Tim Berners-Lee invented the world wide web for precisely that though.

We live for the let down and the entitlement fuelled ranting ;)

@anonim my guess is the prototype was barely made ready in time for NAB (may i remind the rubber port cover that broke off during grant's presentation lol). pretty sure they aren't saying much because they themselves probably haven't had a chance to see/do much with it. it's pretty much specs & a prototype at this point i think.

I'm excited about this announcement as well, the original Pocket was a fun camera and the specs are really awesome on the BMP4k. But I'd like to see a functioning camera in use and the image it produces before ordering. If they haven't started producing them yet, there will certainly be teething issues with actual production samples. Its still weird they have a website full of photos of the P4k in use, but nothing actually shot by the camera itself.

Chris

1 minute ago, mercer said:

I fervently agree. I am as excited as hell for this camera... even though I’ll wait until they’re readily available to buy one.

I was just trying to make a point that it’s possible that this camera’s specs, specifically high ISO, won’t live up to the expectations. These, all BM, cameras have quirks and issues like magenta casts, fixed pattern noise, black hole sun, deadlines not being met... so I hope people are prepared for this instead of jumping on board and expecting something this won’t be and then spreading hatred because their unrealistic expectations weren’t met.

I totally agree, and I get and respect the point you make.

We must keep a low profile, people have started complaining about all the irrelevant stuff (for such a camera), I just express my impression that BM is a lot bigger company now with a better track, as of recently, and seems the components are more common (the sensor seems like the one everything puts on their video-orientated cameras recently!).

With all that said, I would never pre-order a camera just from a presentation. Early adopters usually work a bit like beta testers. Cameras are complicated machines - in both software and hardware, and I would never sold all my cameras in summer, to wait for a camera in September, that only few - if any, will get!

Seriously, no point in visiting this thread anymore, as I know all I need to know, next stop: real footage! 

I will be working with the trusty C100mkII for the next few days, as real as it gets. Really!

7 minutes ago, Luke Mason said:

Trust me, I have my hands on some ProRes and DNG materials from the camera (acquired from NAB), it's clean af up to about 6400. Noise pattern is very pleasant fine grain, due to lack of compression obviously. The sensor is confirmed to be IMX294CJK, it's the STARVIS line from Sony Semicon with BSI design, originally intended for low light surveillance.

ProRes screenshot:

Untitled_1.3.2.thumb.jpg.105b19fac9c94fc8d12b796f845a025b.jpg

That looks like an excellent prelit scene at 6400 ISO... one stop over base ISO... I imagine it gets a lot worse at 12,800? Don’t get me wrong, obviously I have no clue.. I’m just basing this off of other cameras BM released ever. I hope I’m wrong. I love everything about what this camera promises and I’ll love everything about this camera if they don’t deliver on half of the specs promised.

9 minutes ago, Luke Mason said:

Trust me, I have my hands on some ProRes and DNG materials from the camera (acquired from NAB), it's clean af up to about 6400. Noise pattern is very pleasant fine grain, due to lack of compression obviously. The sensor is confirmed to be IMX294CJK, it's the STARVIS line from Sony Semicon with BSI design, originally intended for low light surveillance.

ProRes screenshot:

Nice! How the heck did you get this :grin:

• Super Members

I think it will help that this sensor has been available for quite a while so is a known entity and they've had the opportunity to study what other companies are doing with it.

That, combined with using the same OS as the Ursa, should make it much more of an integration job rather than a ground up development.

Add on Blackmagic now having another 5 years experience of learned lessons of development of building cameras and its not unreasonable to suspect it will be plainer sailing this time round.

I'll still be standing well back when I first plug mine in though, obviously.  

In 2021 no doubt.

16 minutes ago, Luke Mason said:

ProRes screenshot:

Please, don't get me wrong - but what can be seen or especially  concluded from this desaturated screenshot of very evenly lightened interior?

@Django Maybe I'm just too sensible or keep longer bad experience - but I clearly remember when not so long ago Petty came out presenting UMP and proudly claiming that they will never again present product without immediately capable distribution... and it was true about UMP.... But now again the same. Maybe my problem... I simply reckon too much on a given word.