Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
18 hours ago, anonim said:

I have to say - and sorry, It has no anything especially with this quote - that now I really don't understand why GH5 evolves so much antagonism?

Even one glance at calendar will simply show that at the moment when  BMPCC 4k started distribution GH5 will probably be 2 years old camera...

Exactly, the GH5 is having a long run there sitting in the throne! 

18 hours ago, Danyyyel said:

We should perhaps lobby them to put a hole for a locking pin, its too annoying whenworking with Dslr and it is always twisting, and they do listen to customers.

This might be the best reasonable suggestion I've seen for the BMPCC4K since its announcement! Fair point. I do indeed hate how they twist around. 

18 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

Can't underestimate how lovely that 5" touchscreen looks. Although it's a bummer that it doesn't swivel, it totally crushes any other mirrorless or DSLR screen.

Shot a music event tonight with my original BMPCC, and oh man does that screen sometimes suck to get good focus/exposure with! 

The bigger screen (and higher resolution I assume, and better quality) would have been so nice! And if only it tilted.... as titling is so very very often useful, not just for vlogging with!

18 hours ago, MurtlandPhoto said:

According to Grant during the livestream, the camera is actually done development wise. They just have to scope the manufacturing process. I still wouldn't hold my breath for a pre-September release, but I think BM has learned from their past not to be overly optimistic on delivery dates.

Seems strange that they're going to spend SIX MONTHS manufacturing cameras before shipping even the first one?!

16 hours ago, Turboguard said:

So in response to my previous question. I own only 3 lenses, all Nikon mount, Sigma Art 18-35 and 55-100 and 12mm Rokinon Cine DS. I assume the Sigma ones will work with an adapter as they’re 1.7x right? Any thoughts on the 12mm Rokinon? And using a speedbooster with non FF lenses would just be stupid right?

That is a great little starter selection! And yes, just use adapters to MFT and you'll be all good. 

I recommend one standard Nikon G to MFT, and also a focal reducers such as a RJ Lens Turbo

13 hours ago, Jim Giberti said:

I've heard from one experienced dealer that he expects to see them before Sept. That date is intentionally conservative.

I never pre-order cameras. I pre-ordered this one.

That is what I'm expecting too, that the date was very conservative so even if unexpected delays pop up that BMD still has enough buffer left that they won't risk slipping past that date. 

13 hours ago, Luc said:

"You can even enter the slate information wirelessly via Bluetooth from an iPad using the Blackmagic Camera Control application!"

Ohhhhhhhh! Very very nice. 

I wonder if BMD could partner with MovieSlate  (basically the industry "standard" for tracking data with an iPad app) to share this info directly from the MovieSlate app to the BMD cameras. 

https://www.movie-slate.com

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/movieslate-8/id959690900?mt=8

In the interest of another opinion regarding visual effects, which one member here claims is a nightmare with the GH5, here is what Thomas Smet has to say,

Stephen Fleet is a VFX supervisor for a lot of TV shows including Marvels Iron Fist and he loves the GH5 for shooting VFX plates. He is likely more critical of compression and color quality out of any of you and yet loves the GH5 even over the GH5S due to the higher resolution sensor and the out of the box quality it delivers for intense VFX work. So the argument that you need raw for VFX is complete BS. Stephen even found the 150mbps on the GH5 to be just as good for effects work as the 400mbps. That isn't to say the Pocket wouldn't be impressive as well but that the GH5 is still an amazing choice.

21 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Seems strange that they're going to spend SIX MONTHS manufacturing cameras before shipping even the first one?!

My theory is that they've learned from their past mistakes: massive demand with limited supply, relying on vendors to deliver critical components on time, and poor QC issues. This timeline should hopefully give them the time they need to iron out the manufacturing process. Don't forget the PR disasters of the original Pocket and Ursa Mini launches.  

1 hour ago, Digitgio said:

Is it confirmed the sensor used ? Is it really the Sony IMX 294 ? Nothing wrong on it but Sony sell it as Surveillance sensor. 

There is a guy named LukeDriftwood that claims:

"I've just confirmed with an industry source that, Pocket Cinema Camera 4K uses the same sensor as GH5S, the IMX294CJK sensor supplied by Sony Semiconductor." 

I don't know him or if what he claims is true, but I find it very likely. 

I think that Blackmagic has to manage the price of the camera, and price is very good. That sensor has some issue

on HDRmode ( quad bayer encoding) with moving subject, some little blending

That mode is not being supported by video cameras for that reason. This is be reserved for machine vision cameras that use this sensor and need this capability. 

13 hours ago, mercer said:

Am I weirdo for mainly being interested in the 1080p Raw and ProRes? Plus the XLR... that’s just insane at this price point. 

Yes the 1080p is what I am most interested as well since in normal frame rates it is downsampled from 4K. So now in the consumer market we have the GH5/s, A7s* and now the pocketv2 that can produce excellent aliasing/moire free 1080p in camera, but the pocket also offers a much much better codec with little or no sign of digital compression. Not to mention the built in xlr support. 

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

I'd assume so, I'd be gutted if you can't!

Also the 3.5mm is a stereo input, thus I hope all three channels can be recorded at once! That would be awesome. 

That would be great. But I'm highly sceptical that it will.

As frustrated as I am working with thin, hideously over-sharpened files with crappy noise reduction and green skin tones, I still fail to understand the impatience with BMD. Six months isn’t a long time, and we’ve all got cameras to shoot with and brilliant stories to tell. How often do we hear complaints of manufacturers rushing products to market, only to end up being unwitting beta testers? This will give BMD plenty of time to work out the bugs, if there are any. 

15 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

There is a guy named LakeDriftwood that claims:

"I've just confirmed with an industry source that, Pocket Cinema Camera 4K uses the same sensor as GH5S, the IMX294CJK sensor supplied by Sony Semiconductor." 

That mode is not being supported by video cameras for that reason. This is be reserved for machine vision cameras that use this sensor and need this capability. 

Yes the 1080p is what I am most interested as well since in normal frame rates it is downsampled from 4K. So now in the consumer market we have the GH5/s, A7s* and now the pocketv2 that can produce excellent aliasing/moire free 1080p in camera, but the pocket also offers a much much better codec with little or no sign of digital compression. Not to mention the built in xlr support. 

About shipment, the CEO said during the presentation that September is not over promising , a staff member also said in one of the video that the camera will hopefully come a bit earlier .

I guess they will have a large stock in September but might start shipping a low amount of copies earlier.

I personally did a preorder in the uk, if the camera was 3k usd I think I would still have ordered one, on the paper that almost the perfect camera for my type of work, and that stupidly cheap.

Now I need to get some M4/3 glass ....

Great spec, but can BM deliver a stable durable product that doesn’t degrade IQ as it overheats, we’ll see. I bet it will ship later than BM claim, based on previous experience, and will it ship as a beta product, we’ll see. 

Hopefully Panasonic will upgrade GH5S to HDMI raw for the NinjaV Prores Raw recorder, or quickly release a raw version. Presume A7Siii will do raw over HDMI.

This should force Panasonic and Sony to stop gimping the lower end, or at least gimp less than they would have liked to otherwise. Any new release now needs prores raw internal 60p to be taken seriously.

After letting this bombshell of a release settle for almost a day now, I must say I am still pretty damn excited. What is offered at this price point seems unfathomable. I honestly don’t know how they will be making a profit off of this camera... but that isn’t my problem.

Now I’ve been thinking about some of the obvious features and have made a few assumptions based on previous BM cameras...

Dual ISO at 800 and 3200... this is huge but most likely, due to noise and DR, they will be the only two ISOs you would shoot at. I personally think it’s awesome to get that extra lowlight ISO but other people who haven’t shot with a BM camera may want to be aware of the practical ISOs on BM cameras if the 25,000 number is a huge selling point to them.

IR Cut Filter??? There have been some claims that this may be the same sensor that’s inside the GH5s? If so, does that mean we won’t need an IR Cut filter?

Waveform, False Color, Baked in LUTs... this is great... really awesome. I will probably be using this as a ProRes only camera, so Zebras set at 90 have been the go to setting for quick exposure on BM cameras... but if there is a quick solution to turn on False Color, then this becomes an invaluable tool at this price point. And finally the ability to not only load viewing LUTs but being able to bake them in is pretty awesome for quick turnaround... of course how this will affect the dynamic range of your shots should be considered before you start throwing LUTS at your footage before you hit record.... that’s where the waveform monitor will come in handy.

So just these features alone are pretty amazing.

There’s been a lot of talk about how this camera will affect the marketplace and in all honesty it shouldn’t. This looks like a shiny new toy but this IS A CINEMA camera. If you are an event videographer or a real estate videographer or a wedding videographer, there are better options out there and you will probably be let down. BM makes amazing cameras but the images need to be caressed during production and after. So your GH5 or C100 or FF Sony is not obsolete.

35 minutes ago, jonpais said:

In the interest of another opinion regarding visual effects, which one member here claims is a nightmare with the GH5, here is what Thomas Smet has to say,

Stephen Fleet is a VFX supervisor for a lot of TV shows including Marvels Iron Fist and he loves the GH5 for shooting VFX plates. He is likely more critical of compression and color quality out of any of you and yet loves the GH5 even over the GH5S due to the higher resolution sensor and the out of the box quality it delivers for intense VFX work. So the argument that you need raw for VFX is complete BS. Stephen even found the 150mbps on the GH5 to be just as good for effects work as the 400mbps. That isn't to say the Pocket wouldn't be impressive as well but that the GH5 is still an amazing choice.

I think your use of italics is a little misleading here? But you’re right the GH5 is awesome and you are getting nice work with it so there really isn’t a need for you to go out and buy the Pocket II. I think you will be highly disappointed with it. 

So excited to start seeing all the third party accessories to come now! @IronFilm, in response to your reply, I am curious to see what metabones might cook up for this one specifically as Simon Westland says in the youtube interview by slashcam. But also curious to see cages, and what pistol grip gimbals might be able to fit it etc.

38 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

There is a guy named LukeDriftwood that claims:

Interesting. Absolutely no idea if it is true of either the GH5s or BMPCC but here is the pdf flyer of the sensor.

https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products_en/IS/sensor0/img/product/cmos/IMX294CJK_Flyer.pdf

Couple of points.

1) It is a standard 4:3 sensor with a 21.63mm diagonal - so if it is in the GH5s it isnt using an 'oversized' sensor as many people had indicated.

2) The sensor is capable of 4k/120 although only in 10 bit (as opposed to 12)