Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

• Administrators

How the hell did this thread get 33,000+ views since Saturday. That is approaching half the X-H1 monster thread which has been around since February.

Just shows how much long-time demand in-waiting there was for 4K raw & prores at $1299

3 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

And heck, if you're just doing a basic shot on a tripod that is running for ages (say a locked off shot at an event) you could get a FOUR TERABYTE harddrive for less than US$170:

https://www.amazon.com/G-Technology-G-DRIVE-USB-C-External-0G05666/dp/B06ZY3N7QC/

Doubt a mechanical HDD has the write speeds for 4K raw or ProRes. May as well stick to SD cards.

USB C is a great feature for external SSDs though and replacing a bulky HDMI recorder.

Like an Atomos Star but smaller and camera-USB-powered.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
27 minutes ago, jonpais said:

8.42 doesn’t support HLG. But support for it is coming.

v.8.42 includes the following bug fixes:

HDR HLG and PQ Loop out over value gain issue fixed.
Fixed an issue where the HDR slider value was not saved when using Auto HDR mode.
20% improvement to system start up time.

SUBSEQUENT OS UPDATES EVERY 4-5 WEEKS WITH THE FOLLOWING FEATURE PRIORITY:

Raw Recording (Sony FS, Canon, Arri, Panasonic)
HLG In/Out
QuadLink
Scheduled Playlist

Thanks! Do you have any clue what is the "profile" or specs you get when set HLG recording option on camera and record to Atomos? (In Ninja exported file looks very ugly.)

12 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Been reading around comments elsewhere. And found it strange how some people are saying USB-C drives are "expensive". Yes, please tell me more about how a 128gig drive which costs less than forty bucks is "almost as expensive as a CFast card"!

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-128GB-Type-C-SDDDC2-128G-G46/dp/B01EZ0X55C/

And heck, if you're just doing a basic shot on a tripod that is running for ages (say a locked off shot at an event) you could get a FOUR TERABYTE harddrive for less than US$170:

https://www.amazon.com/G-Technology-G-DRIVE-USB-C-External-0G05666/dp/B06ZY3N7QC/

This is indeed a major feature by BMD!

I remember when I first purchased my original BMPCC I had to spend a small fortune on fast enough and big enough SD cards. Ditto SSD prices when the BMCC first launched, or CFast prices when the big URSA first launched. 

Very good option, but in my short experience with USB-C cables (only have a tablet with it - my older computers are still running fine), it disconnects much more easily than HDMI. A locking solution will be needed, I guess.

1 hour ago, Oliver Daniel said:

On paper, the only thing this camera is missing is a tilting/flip screen. Bugger. They must of had to compromise that one. I bet someone or BM themselves will bring out a very cost effective, thin secondary screen you can put on the thread at the top and be able to swivel it in all directions (without having to go SmallHD or Atomos). 

Like you say, I'd like to see a very compact docking that sits under the camera which will power the camera for a day, and also provide a small SSD docking for the USB-C. It would be awesome if this could power a secondary screen to sit on top of the camera (like i said above). It will be exciting to see what accessories are made for this. 

On windowed HD 120fps, I do hope it's not too windowed. I think a Speedbooster will be essential for users of this mode. I know I'll be using it a lot. 

This is a really strong year for Micro 4/3rds. GH5S, BMPCC4k and that E2 Cam thing - the format is really cementing it's position as a serious filmmaking option. :grin:

I wonder if any DSLR or Mirrorless has a 5inch screen? Why I am asking this, is because I am wondering if it would have been possible to have a Hinge on a 5inch screen with a non-metallic body (carbon composite), and also have a fully articulated screen that doesn't crash into all the wire when being rotated. They could have tried something on the lines of what Sony or the Panasonic GX85 has with a flip out to the front. But, like I mentioned, it was probably due to the unweildly size of that 5inch display and the fact that the body is Composite and Not Metal. 

This is probably the time for someone like Atomos to probably either make a Portable screen with very low lag, fed via the HDMI or USB-C. Or have a Screen with a Swivel Design or Articulated Stand, that allows it to twist 360 degrees.

11 minutes ago, anonim said:

Thanks! Do you have any clue what is the "profile" or specs you get when set HLG recording option on camera and record to Atomos? (In Ninja exported file looks very ugly.)

Not sure because afaik, the Inferno  does not yet record HLG.

1 hour ago, Oliver Daniel said:

On paper, the only thing this camera is missing is a tilting/flip screen. Bugger. They must of had to compromise that one. I bet someone or BM themselves will bring out a very cost effective, thin secondary screen you can put on the thread at the top and be able to swivel it in all directions (without having to go SmallHD or Atomos).

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

It's a shame it lacks the tilt screen. It is fixed, with a slight slant like the BMCC 2.5K.

42 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

I wish they would've implemented the tilt/swivel screen, even if it pushed the price up to $1499 with no Resolve license.

Indeed : ) Not even a tilt screen à la Sony to say the least.

Perhaps an accessory like this one might be of some help on that one for the 5-inch screen size, obviously -- not available for this offer though:

http://www.flipbac.com/

I recall about a few other ones on ebay I can't find anymore now. Here's a good tip a 3rd party may take in hands as easy as it apparently seems at least.

15 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I love the microphone levels display. That’s what I’m talking about! I wonder what happens when rain enters the cooling vents on top of the camera...

Do not know about this camera, but on Micro cameras, the air is not blown to the electronics, just to the cooling element and then out.

Is it confirmed the sensor used ? Is it really the Sony IMX 294 ? Nothing wrong on it but Sony sell it as Surveillance sensor. 

I think that Blackmagic has to manage the price of the camera, and price is very good. That sensor has some issue

on HDRmode ( quad bayer encoding) with moving subject, some little blending. I'm very curious to take a look at the quality of the picture and I hope that  Andrew will have one to test very soon. Another question, nobody knows in Still mode which size of pict is saved ? 

58 minutes ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Very good option, but in my short experience with USB-C cables (only have a tablet with it - my older computers are still running fine), it disconnects much more easily than HDMI. A locking solution will be needed, I guess.

Or just limit it to only tripod shots. 

It can't be worse than what RED ONE shooters had to deal with! Remember how awful RED-DRIVEs were. 

20 hours ago, Don Kotlos said:

Since almost all of use are going to have this soon, I believe it's time to rename the site  :glasses:

It even has phantom power. 

True, Canon EOS is burred six feet under by this point in time it is so dead. 

19 hours ago, froess said:

Is it possible to record the audio from the 3.5mm and mini xlr seperatly? or at least to one to right and another to the left channel?

I'd assume so, I'd be gutted if you can't!

Also the 3.5mm is a stereo input, thus I hope all three channels can be recorded at once! That would be awesome. 

19 hours ago, Davide Roveri said:

Ok, now the pre-order link is live on CVP's front page.. apparently there are 300+ people looking at it and they sold more than 20 cameras already! :-P 

https://cvp.com/product/blackmagic_pocket_camera_4k

Now it is "361 people have added it to their basket"! :-o

1 minute ago, enny said:

Guys any idea if my metabone ultra 0.71 will work with this new pocket  since sensor is bigger 

x0.71 isn't much, works with normal MFT cameras just fine

19 hours ago, Juxx989 said:

BTW Where Can I Buy Some Blackmagic Design Stock?

BMD is privately held. (and I reckon is a major factor in why they can push so hard to be innovative like this)

19 hours ago, ajay said:

What I find strange is they announce the camera but no footage to show? Where's the sample footage?

Grant filmed and showed footage he'd just taken, all done LIVE during their announcement. 

19 hours ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Curious about the weight, not mentioned anywhere.

Because the current cameras shown are not the final weight. They'll be a few hundreds of grams even lighter?

1 hour ago, AaronChicago said:

I wish they would've implemented the tilt/swivel screen, even if it pushed the price up to $1499 with no Resolve license.

there are literally unlimited monitoring options in the market. For the absolute minimum, one can buy a 3.5" - 10" Raspberry pie monitors starting from 20$, and there is a tally telling you if it recording or not, then cheap specialized monitors (not very good ones) start from 100$ and you got an ok Feelworld for less than 200$, and the list goes on, until you go to Focus and Atomos territory. There are 11" ones going for 80-100$ (1080p) that I posted a link on the monitor thread yesterday. 

The selfie monitor doesn't have to be the best quality, you - usually - need it to judge basic things, and you can go bigger (7"?) with these Chinese ones to help, if you are standing 1-2m away from the camera. If you shoot it in front of your face with an ultra wide lens, then those 3.5" IPS monitors I mentioned (I am waiting mine to arrive this, or the next week) are sufficient to judge framing and what not. I got it from amazon.de for 40euros (shipping+ acrylic case) and another 10-15euros for a miniscule 2500mAh credit card power bank. If you shop from ebay or aliexpress, all together reach hardly 30-35$.