Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Garug said:

They always do that, but the Micro cameras at least have been working also well on cold. Kind of a reguirement here in Finland :)

I found my Pocket refused to work in the cold but the Micro was fine. Both -20 and below (northern Finland).

2 minutes ago, jonpais said:

We have to keep up the pressure. 

I won't jump ships if Panasonic would at least offer an option to disable both (at least in V-log and HLG).
Tired of all the filtering and diffusion I have to do to hide the artifacts and thinness caused by it. 

If they'll do I would probably just invest into the new Atomos Ninja V instead. ;)

1 minute ago, deezid said:

I won't jump ships if Panasonic would at least offer an option to disable both (at least in V-log and HLG).
Tired of all the filtering and diffusion I have to do to hide the artifacts and thinness caused by it. 

If they'll do I would probably just invest into the new Atomos Ninja V instead. ;)

The V looks awesome. Almost regret having got the Shogun Inferno just a little while back.

I really believe we have to mention it on every forum, get people talking about it. And in every online review comments section as well.

1 hour ago, sanveer said:

Upto 100fps HD is non-windowed. Also, he (the guy in the video below) hints at a few other things being added by way of firmware. Which effectively means that we should wait until all the features are stated. 

I hope someone makes a large battery accessory for this that is like a battery pack at the bottom (like on DSLRs), and which powers it via USB-C or the locking socket to add another 2-3 hours of juice. And also adds a flat SSD like on the new Atomos recorder. 

On paper, the only thing this camera is missing is a tilting/flip screen. Bugger. They must of had to compromise that one. I bet someone or BM themselves will bring out a very cost effective, thin secondary screen you can put on the thread at the top and be able to swivel it in all directions (without having to go SmallHD or Atomos). 

Like you say, I'd like to see a very compact docking that sits under the camera which will power the camera for a day, and also provide a small SSD docking for the USB-C. It would be awesome if this could power a secondary screen to sit on top of the camera (like i said above). It will be exciting to see what accessories are made for this. 

On windowed HD 120fps, I do hope it's not too windowed. I think a Speedbooster will be essential for users of this mode. I know I'll be using it a lot. 

This is a really strong year for Micro 4/3rds. GH5S, BMPCC4k and that E2 Cam thing - the format is really cementing it's position as a serious filmmaking option. :grin:

41 minutes ago, deezid said:

No in camera NR and Sharpening.
That's what I want from Panasonic, and they're actually able to do that (EVA-1). Why is this so hard?

I think that there's no reason to spare anybody on market who relays on our money, including Panasonic... Someone here claimed that reason for not including 0 sharpening is tiny codec - which is not correct: we can see what zero NR and base level of non software sharpening looks like via hdmi to Atomos - nothing tiny about it... Reason imo is simply the same (insolent) one offered about non-free including of V-log: they don't like to confuse consumers - but at the same time they mostly reckon to prosumer's usage of GH* as indie video camera... Actually, they want to differentiate it more from EVA1 or so.

5 minutes ago, anonim said:

Actually, they want to differentiate it more from EVA1 or so.

That's what I think as well. Not cool... Especially since you can soon get the Pocket 4K for half the price of the GH5s where this issue is simply non-existent.

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, Oliver Daniel said:

On paper, the only thing this camera is missing is a tilting/flip screen. Bugger. They must of had to compromise that one. I bet someone or BM themselves will bring out a very cost effective, thin secondary screen you can put on the thread at the top and be able to swivel it in all directions (without having to go SmallHD or Atomos). 

Like you say, I'd like to see a very compact docking that sits under the camera which will power the camera for a day, and also provide a small SSD docking for the USB-C. It would be awesome if this could power a secondary screen to sit on top of the camera (like i said above). It will be exciting to see what accessories are made for this. 

On windowed HD 120fps, I do hope it's not too windowed. I think a Speedbooster will be essential for users of this mode. I know I'll be using it a lot. 

This is a really strong year for Micro 4/3rds. GH5S, BMPCC4k and that E2 Cam thing - the format is really cementing it's position as a serious filmmaking option. :grin:

It's a shame it lacks the tilt screen. It is fixed, with a slight slant like the BMCC 2.5K.

With Grant's insistence you can use it for self shooting and YouTube, this is an oversight.

They should make a $1600 version with a few more bells on it...3 GH5 batteries in a shallow base and that same screen with a hinge.

4x-ish crop for the 120fps I believe?

The S16 Metabones Speed Booster for original BMPCC won't work but XL should.

Yeah a good year for Micro Four Thirds. However the E2 doesn't shoot internal raw or ProRes, only H.264 if I'm not mistaken. So less interested in that one.

31 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Almost regret having got the Shogun Inferno just a little while back.

Does Shogun Inferno support proper HLG reading (and transfering) at Atom HDR level - I mean, as with V-log?

I have just Ninja Flame, which has no firmware update for HLG - but I don't know what 8.42 update in upper models really provide?

8.42 doesn’t support HLG. But support for it is coming.

v.8.42 includes the following bug fixes:

HDR HLG and PQ Loop out over value gain issue fixed.
Fixed an issue where the HDR slider value was not saved when using Auto HDR mode.
20% improvement to system start up time.

SUBSEQUENT OS UPDATES EVERY 4-5 WEEKS WITH THE FOLLOWING FEATURE PRIORITY:

Raw Recording (Sony FS, Canon, Arri, Panasonic)
HLG In/Out
QuadLink
Scheduled Playlist

19 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

(...)

Yeah a good year for Micro Four Thirds. However the E2 doesn't shoot internal raw or ProRes, only H.264 if I'm not mistaken. So less interested in that one.

They introduce a pretty compelling add-on feature though: 4K 120fps. As well, a Sync Port, not interesting for everyone here but definitely beats not only the new one. The Micro Studio Camera 4K at least too, without internal recording. Unique of a kind in that small size factor.

8 minutes ago, amanieux said:

how can you say it is competitive as you don't know what will be on the market when it comes out at the end of the year (they say september but expect delays as usual with BM)

That's true.. this is BMD after all

For many years, I asked that they make this exact camera (though never imagined they'd pull off 120)

Wonder what the olpf situation will be

Been reading around comments elsewhere. And found it strange how some people are saying USB-C drives are "expensive". Yes, please tell me more about how a 128gig drive which costs less than forty bucks is "almost as expensive as a CFast card"!

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-128GB-Type-C-SDDDC2-128G-G46/dp/B01EZ0X55C/

And heck, if you're just doing a basic shot on a tripod that is running for ages (say a locked off shot at an event) you could get a FOUR TERABYTE harddrive for less than US$170:

https://www.amazon.com/G-Technology-G-DRIVE-USB-C-External-0G05666/dp/B06ZY3N7QC/

This is indeed a major feature by BMD!

I remember when I first purchased my original BMPCC I had to spend a small fortune on fast enough and big enough SD cards. Ditto SSD prices when the BMCC first launched, or CFast prices when the big URSA first launched.