Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 minute ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Glad you brought that up. I still seem a bit confused by the HLG workflow if outputting to SD

You just shoot in HLG profile and then is there a LUT for converting from HLG to rec.709??? Or is there more that needs to go into this?

And if so, do you need to use a whole different lut (and re-grade everything) if going to rec 2020???

Yes, you just apply a camera LUT in FCP X and it converts from rec 2020 to rec 709. In the clip I posted, pretty much all I did was reduce the saturation of the green of the lettuce and add a slight vignette. HDR grading is a whole 'nother beast altogether.

9 hours ago, Davide Roveri said:

Not sure about that.. as far as I can tell 1080 still use the full width of the sensor and it’s downsampled in camera. The camera records windowed when you shoot HFR @ 120fps though, not sure if there is an option to do that at normal speed also...

Blackmagic has clearly stated at NAB that the 1080p mode is windowed.

Only 120 fps is windowed HD:

Frame Rates

Maximum sensor frame rate dependent on resolution and codec selected. Project frame rates of 23.98, 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 50, 59.94 and 60 fps supported.
Off-speed frame rates up to 60 fps in 4K DCI, 120 fps in HD windowed.

5 minutes ago, frontfocus said:

the camera looks very interesting and the price is just phenomenal. I'd say it will put quite some pressure on Panasonic and the GH5s. 

BMD is a small player, they're probably not even on Panasonic's radar. If anyone is interested in RAW HDMI out, they should keep requesting it in the forums and on YT channels that review Panasonic products.

24 minutes ago, jonpais said:

BMD is a small player, they're probably not even on Panasonic's radar.

How it could be so - of course, speaking not about all Panasonic products branches, but prosumer camera sector ? This is (or will be) the most direct impact on the same camera territory and mostly - although not identical - to the same user base. But it is hard to believe that Panasonic has not answer in its hand... I think that it is just matter of (sooner) time that Panasonic will react - with firmware or with announcing of new model.

(I'm far of any visionary of prediction, but 2-3 months ago pure logic said to me that GH5s with its price would probably be financial fiasco... Actually, I even claimed in Neuman's thread that it wouldn't be long time that Panasonic will be forced to account on including prores and even raw in its GH* offer - and than I strictly pointed at Blackmagic as cause.)

• Super Members
52 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Just for the record, the GH5 does not shoot garbage plastic looking footage. And while the Pocket 4K is probably awesome, it does not suddenly make shooting Panasonic Log obsolete. 

I don't think they are mutually exclusive either.

Its more the GH5s that has the problem as far as I can see.

Prices of a used GH5 are currently dipping below £1.2k and will be further deflated by the time the Pocket 4K  actually arrives to be more or less a flat £1k.

If you add in the value of the full version of Resolve then that means you could have a GH5 AND the Pocket 4K with Resolve for pretty much the same price as the GH5s and Resolve.

In that scenario, where I could have the best of both worlds in terms of a highly featured and capable all rounder AND a cinema oriented one for the same total price (especially as they share a common lens system) then I'd really struggle to choose the GH5s over that.

9 minutes ago, anonim said:

How it could be so - of course, speaking not about all Panasonic products branches, but prosumer camera sector ? This is (or will be) the most direct impact on the same camera territory and mostly - although not identical - to the same user base. But it is hard to believe that Panasonic has not answer in its hand... I think that it is just matter of (sooner) time that Panasonic will react - with firmware or with announcing of new model.

(I'm far of any visionary of prediction, but 2-3 months ago pure logic said to me that GH5s with its price would probably be financial fiasco... Actually, I even claimed in Neuman's thread that it wouldn't be long time that Panasonic will be forced to account on including prores and even raw in its GH* offer - and than I strictly pointed at Blackmagic as cause.)

Just look around you - everyone is shooting Canon, Sony, Fuji and maybe Panasonic (not here in VN). Not a single BMD camera in sight. Ever. Maybe things are different in your neck of the woods.