Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

An interesting aspect to retain is the fact this manufacturer has no real high-end to protect other than under 5 grand or so. No bigger boys to handle. The industry standards. This makes the economies of scale as a finest appetizer recipe to salute the income from such so democratic price range. Funny, isn't it?

Hope to wake up tomorrow and to not be back to those old late 80s or early 90s... LOL

1 minute ago, RWR said:

"Grant Petty was making it out to be perfect for selfies. Not sure what’s up with that."

They have a pic of a dude freestyling it on the back of a motorcycle next to another motorcycle.

Atomos makes fine products too, but in their promotional materials, they make it look like the Shogun Inferno is the perfect run ‘n gun solution, which it’s not. Too funny.

24 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

An interesting point to retain is the fact this manufacturer has no real high-end to protect other than under 5 grand or so. No bigger boys to handle. The industry standards. This makes the economies of scale as a finest appetizer recipe to salute the income from such so democratic price range. Funny, isn't it?

Hope to wake up tomorrow and to not be back to those old late 80s or early 90s... LOL

Trouble is with this camera is we are going to have to Produce some damn good footage out of it, or it will be our fault, probably not he cameras fault. Yikes. :grimace:

I have sort of an excuse, I am old. Emanuel you do not, I have seen how old you are LoL. Somehow I don't see a Cannes Lion in my future. But you never know. :astonished:

13 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

An interesting point to retain is the fact this manufacturer has no real high-end to protect other than under 5 grand or so. No bigger boys to handle. The industry standards. This makes the economies of scale as a finest appetizer recipe to salute the income from such so democratic price range. Funny, isn't it?

True, and I don't think they even have that sort of policy structure towards protecting their higher end products in the traditional sense like other companies: Fusion inside Resolve, Pocket at a pricepoint that feels like they're giving it away.

They put an extra shutter button on the front of the camera for vloggers. Hopefully, it can double as an extra function button. At least it has full HDMI, zebras, a longer life battery and headphone jack, which hopefully will be standard on all mirrorless from here on out.

11 minutes ago, jonpais said:

They put an extra shutter button on the front of the camera for vloggers. Hopefully, it can double as an extra function button.

I think it is just a Record button, but yeah it would be nice at times to change it. But since it is there you can use your index finger, maybe thumb I think to get to it when holding it. Just another way to trigger it.

Hmm you might be right, it has the same looking logo on it. I guess we will find out soon enough when someone review it. Where is David when you need him!

In the specs the diagram is showing both as a Record button, and there is a Stills button also. Not sure if this has a real Shutter button??  Maybe it toggles when you hit the stills button to be a shutter button??

I'm sure I'll probably get one of these in a couple of years when I can afford to, but I don't see myself getting rid of the current Pocket since I still want the s16 sensor to use with my c-mount lenses. Even if the new one ends up having a s16 crop, it'll still be good to have as a b-camera. Plus I'm sure the used prices for the first Pocket will go down low enough that there would be more to gain by just keeping it than selling. I'd probably use this one with a focal reducer and think of it as a s35 camera, with the OG Pocket being my s16 camera.

15 minutes ago, Matt Kieley said:

I'm sure I'll probably get one of these in a couple of years when I can afford to, but I don't see myself getting rid of the current Pocket since I still want the s16 sensor to use with my c-mount lenses. Even if the new one ends up having a s16 crop, it'll still be good to have as a b-camera. Plus I'm sure the used prices for the first Pocket will go down low enough that there would be more to gain by just keeping it than selling. I'd probably use this one with a focal reducer and think of it as a s35 camera, with the OG Pocket being my s16 camera.

Man a OG one seems like pure torture compered to this one. :cry:  But you can really slip one in your pocket with a little c-mount lens on one. That can be an advantage for sure.

7 hours ago, Django said:

@DaveAltizer could you ask BM what the MP count is for stills?

Ya I’ll ask. 

3 hours ago, Emanuel said:

@wolf33d nice to see you there, no matter the incipient focus I believe they will improve to implement tap to focus going with the new touchscreen at least : )

On the discussion between both of you, Jon and Don, I think they really are horses for courses. This new camera is a complete different product indeed, no matter the coincidences : )) A league of its own :-)

Dual ISO is actually truly interesting, not only for the open possibilities we've already known from that couple of models recently introduced by Panasonic.

Our good Dave (Altizer) has inferred this could be the sensor we know from GH5S. Can the fact he reported it directly from their NAB booth really mean something for the subject matter? We know too little so far. Perhaps Dave can add anything on topic whenever possible.

I am glad they had placed their bets through the 4/3" route though.

EDIT -- Seems my post popped up in the middle of something substantially and really meaningful, hey fellas...?! LOL :-)

Believe me. I dug and dug at them to try to get info about the sensor and they won’t say. I don’t think we’ll know exactly if it’s the GH5S sensor until we can do some tests on it. But I’m guessing it is. 

6 hours ago, Turboguard said:

So in response to my previous question. I own only 3 lenses, all Nikon mount, Sigma Art 18-35 and 55-100 and 12mm Rokinon Cine DS. I assume the Sigma ones will work with an adapter as they’re 1.7x right? Any thoughts on the 12mm Rokinon? And using a speedbooster with non FF lenses would just be stupid right?

Ya you can use an adapter and even a metabones speed booster to change the crop to almost full frame! 

3 hours ago, wolf33d said:

I preordered. I hope it boosts Sony to release better than 4K60p 8 bit on A7siii though... 

This thing is magnificent but that AF......  Same camera with Canon DPAF I would pay double the price easily. 
I love the screen, the recording formats... image will be gorgeous. No IBIS means Gimbal and Gimbal means continuous AF. Never right...

Not so fast my man! The ronin-s has a fabulous follow focus system that I played with today that would be a dream combination with the BMPCC 4K! I never like using autofocus on a gimbal because it never focuses on what I want it to. My brain is always better at focusing on the subject I’m shooting 

18 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

Not so fast my man! The ronin-s has a fabulous follow focus system that I played with today that would be a dream combination with the BMPCC 4K! I never like using autofocus on a gimbal because it never focuses on what I want it to. My brain is always better at focusing on the subject I’m shooting 

Bingo he gets it. Sure on vacation I want Everything, Everybody in focus, in a Movie hell no. Like the camera is Really going to read my mind? And who needs AF with a 7mm lens set to infinity at F 5.6 with the 7-14mm.

The first sample footage by John Brawley of the original Pocket came out some five or six months before reviews started appearing online. A bit like home movies (his own words), but first sample footage nonetheless. ? He posted the clips on his blog the end of April 2013 and reviews began to appear on YouTube around September of the same year.

2 hours ago, Turboguard said:

I have a few Cannes lions under my belt and I’ve shot with no ibis, non active lens mounts and finally NO AF for the past 7-8years. This camera is crazy insane, and also it’s freaking 1400dollars with tax!!! Like what stuff do you guys even shot?!

I won an ADDY, Got Nominated for a Local Emmy, and Won the Pine Wood Derby in Cub Scouts (3rd Place Trophy)

Can we Hang out Bro?