Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
1 minute ago, webrunner5 said:

As old as I am the 5" screen alone is worth the price of admission. And the BM operating system is just way better than Panasonic. Now if you want Anamorphic well I guess you stay with Panny.

Not articulated and no EVF though... Horses for courses.

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

..of YEARS! I seriously can not follow the thread anymore.

I am out of likes too. But it's True.

Pros:

1. 4k in Multiple Flavours and bitrates.

2. Excellent sized screen to body ratio.

3. Great lowlight. I will bet this has better low light than the GH5s. 

4. Nice ergonomics. I saw many pics and the new design is pretty good. 

5. Much improved battery life.

6. 3 custom buttons?

7. Multiple storage and recording options.

8. I am guessing the screen has been improved substantially as well. 

9. The Entire Blackmagic Suite thrown in (which itself should cost a fortune).

10. If it is the GH5s sensor, it does 14-bit RAW. Though not sure BlackMagic would push it that far.

11. It is Priced at $1299. That is 1/2th the price of the Panasonic GH5s.  

12. Much lighter than most cameras its size.

13. Doesn't over heat like a lot of Sony cameras.

14. Mini XLR.

15. Full sized HDMI that a certain Mr. Reid has suggested to Panasonic too and they listened.

15. A Bluetooth remote operation function. Not sure what all controls will be included. It may be a replacement for an articulated screen, especially for shooting yourself.

16. You also get a locking DC power connector so it can’t be accidentally disconnected in the middle of a shoot. The included 110 - 220 volt plug pack can be used to simultaneously power the camera and charge the LP-E6 battery. Plus, it includes international socket adapters so it can be used anywhere in the world! The USB-C Expansion Port accepts power so you can charge the battery from portable battery packs, a mobile phone charger or even your laptop computer! The Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K gives you a wide range of flexible power options so you can shoot all day. 

17. Theoritically it can record without time limit. Both recording can be done to external memory and it can be powered externally via USB. 

8 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

As old as I am the 5" screen alone is worth the price of admission. And the BM operating system is just way better than Panasonic. Now if you want Anamorphic well I guess you stay with Panny.

6 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Indeed. There's place for everyone here. Very democratic. It is in our hands, the users, to make history from there : ) Plain of time for fixing it with firmwares along as well :-)

3 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

Surprised they didn't add anamorphic since they're using the 4/3 sensor tbh. Maybe a firmware update.

Expected availability Sep 3, 2018. I imagine actual availability would be after that, and who knows what other products from mainstream manufacturers will be on the market by then.

This seems to be another one of BM's announcements long before the camera is ready to ship, meaning that it is still in development, so it is anyone's guess when it will actually be available.

8 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I am old school. I use a Tripod so I see no real reason for either of them to be honest. But for run n gun sure that might work, or V Loging having a Twisty screen.

I think BM is pushing this as much as a studio, interview type camera on a tripod. This really is a new BMCC to be honest. And that was never a run n gun setup.

When the initial images of the billboard or the sneaked media images leaked out. I had zero interest in this camera. 

However, now seeing the full specs, it looks to a very capable tool. I guess you don't really need autofocus with such a big screen (unless you need a gimbal) and the lack of IBIS makes it less attractive. But at this price point it's quiet amazing. I was considering getting the Resolve Studio, so for $1000 you're getting pretty amazing image capturing tool. 

Sadly, now the only limitation in creating great stories is talent, which is not that cheap to acquire ;)

webrunner..they're showing/picturing it in action settings, riding on the back of a motorcycle..also vlogging mention by Petty.

There are just too many advantages to articulating screen in a small camera.. If you don't need it, just use it on back..but if you had the option, you'd find it liberating.

1 minute ago, salim said:

W

However, now seeing the full specs, it looks to a very capable tool. I guess you don't really need autofocus with such a big screen (unless you need a gimbal)

Sadly, now the only limitation in creating great stories is talent, which is not that cheap to acquire ;)

I am sure this thing has AF. My AF100 was the same way, it had a push to AF button on it and it AF'ed fine, actually pretty well.. It was just a thing to force it to focus on what you wanted not what it wanted LoL.

1 minute ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Probably not - still have the half of the price factor.

Plus the Entire Blackmagic Suite. Plus Mini XLR. And the 5inch screen. Plus 2 sound input options and 3 recording options.

For the buck, nothing really comes close. Not even the Original Pocket Camera. 

17 minutes ago, RWR said:

webrunner..they're showing/picturing it in action settings, riding on the back of a motorcycle..also vlogging mention by Petty.

There are just too many advantages to articulating screen in a small camera.. If you don't need it, just use it on back..but if you had the option, you'd find it liberating.

They just get in the way of all the stuff you have on the sides. They are not a practical thing for hard, heavy use, fast usage. And a 5" one, that would look crazy.

Be happy with what they are giving us, Jesus it is only 1000 bucks! Sadly we are back to no camera is perfect for everyone. But I think if you are serious about Video this is the one.

10 minutes ago, Mokara said:

Expected availability Sep 3, 2018. I imagine actual availability would be after that, and who knows what other products from mainstream manufacturers will be on the market by then.

This seems to be another one of BM's announcements long before the camera is ready to ship, meaning that it is still in development, so it is anyone's guess when it will actually be available.

According to Grant during the livestream, the camera is actually done development wise. They just have to scope the manufacturing process. I still wouldn't hold my breath for a pre-September release, but I think BM has learned from their past not to be overly optimistic on delivery dates.