Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

12 minutes ago, anonim said:

At the end of a (successful shooting) day, every adding instrument and feature becomes "pro". So IBIS, I'd say, just is a pro feature - problem is in dependency of history of using and in open mind. I'd also say: don't relay on old prejudices...

Well, if we’re playing semantics then any piece of tech could be pro.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

5 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

I quite like the design. Kind of retro, and it reminds me of the Panasonic DVX100, which I really loved back in the days of DV tapes. 

4 hours ago, Jacek said:

Better looking image:

29739741_715721842150927_543072836185489

People been mocking the "retro"-look. I dont get that feel at all.

I think it kinda looks like the lumix g6 in a sense, but without a viewfinder hump.

I've been waiting for a more "dslr"-like body from Blackmagic and I think this is it. I am excited :)

It really (from the front) looks like that grip and buttons section could come off.

And that top piece with the thread in it looks like a seperate piece like it could be unscrewed...

but the from the back it dont look like anything  is coming off it.

2 hours 7min to go....

19 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

Well, if we’re playing semantics then any piece of tech could be pro.

Imo it is indeed, or in fact so... Some at the moment relevant or important men with influence have consensus what is the relatively most usable to achieve goal - and that become standard "pro" for the other. But time (and technical progress) goes on, and some other relevant men make new "pro" usage... But I know you know it better than me :) Finally, you are a proprietor of my most beloved EOS quote

- "We've hit the point where there is NO excuse for not shooting cinematic footage with even a $1000 camera. Everything from now on will just be nitpicking features to make things easier/quicker/efficient" :)

BTW I'm great fan of BMPCC (had it 2 times) as BM in general... I'll probably buy new one (if God save my health for near future) instead of GH5s...

2 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

I guess pro is the wrong term. Choice is a better description. If IBIS is on a camera then you are stuck with it's quirks. It's a super cool piece of technology however, especially for photo.

Agree... But if IBIS is not on a camera, then you are stuck with another quirks, using a gimbal or come back in time and become Dogma pro member :)

14 minutes ago, Juxx989 said:

It really (from the front) looks like that grip and buttons section could come off.

And that top piece with the thread in it looks like a seperate piece like it could be unscrewed...

I don't think any part of it is detachable aside from the lens. I assume that's just lines in design. The battery and storage more than likely goes inside the grip, so what's the use in taking it off?

IBIS is great and can be used professionally but it does not allow for sufficient cooling of a sensor.

Increased temperature then not only increases the noise but also in the long term reduces the life of the sensor. One example are hot/stuck/dead pixels which will appear more often. That is why cameras that are meant to be used extensively for many years have HUGE heat sinks behind the sensors.

The original pocket that lacked any sufficient cooling already suffered from this and it was the main reason I sold it. So I think it makes sense that the pocket v2 and GH5s do not have IBIS. It also looks that they even added active cooling to the pocket v2. 

21 minutes ago, meudig said:

People been mocking the "retro"-look. I dont get that feel at all.

I think it kinda looks like the lumix g6 in a sense, but without a viewfinder hump.

I've been waiting for a more "dslr"-like body from Blackmagic and I think this is it. I am excited :)

Out of likes for today... but I agree. I think this is the perfect form factor. The 12-35mm lens isn’t that large of a lens, so this is still relatively small... smaller than a GH5. The grip looks comfortable and the screen seems to be improved. IMO this is a true run and gun cinema camera. If you don’t need OIS, this camera and the 20mm 1.7 or c-mounts... or even a Speedbooster and ai-s lenses will be a compact package compared to what else is available on the market with these specs.

55 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

IBIS just isn't a pro video feature. Blackmagic's brand is all about uncompromised image quality. I would agree that the Pocket is the one BM camera targeted toward the masses, but they won't stray far from their brand.

Hopefully far enough that the color doesn't go weird shooting tungsten.

4 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

IBIS is great and can be used professionally but it does not allow for sufficient cooling of a sensor.

Increased temperature then not only increases the noise but also in the long term reduces the life of the sensor. One example are hot/stuck/dead pixels which will appear more often. That is why cameras that are meant to be used extensively for many years have HUGE heat sinks behind the sensors.

The original pocket that lacked any sufficient cooling already suffered from this and it was the main reason I sold it. So I think it makes sense that the pocket v2 and GH5s do not have IBIS. It also looks that they even added active cooling to the pocket v2. 

Yes for all written - so, unfortunately, it seems that - while science of cooling etc. doesn't progress more  - I must starting to reckon to have 2 cameras :( .... which seems fair, because we all also already have (at least) two person under the skin?

21 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

I guess pro is the wrong term. Choice is a better description. If IBIS is on a camera then you are stuck with it's quirks. It's a super cool piece of technology however, especially for photo.

The worst quirk of IBIS is that directors/producers expect me to use it at 100% of the time, and when I ask time to set a tripod/monopod just look me weird and/or with disgust and hate!

A7s cameras destroyed the traditional lighting experience for a lot of young people, and sadly I see a lot of young people in the industry forget about tripods, which is my favorite kind of shot, and they loose completely a few letters that consist the cinematic language.

Tools are good, abuse of them is terrible.

1 hour ago, deezid said:

Why not EVA1 with such a recorder? Finally a good and not too big 5" screen with 4k60fps 10 bit recording capabilities.

It's a personal choice. I won't bore you with all the details but the EVA1 is a head choice - pure business - but it would mean using EF stills glass whereas this would let me use my s16 superspeeds (heart choice) and still get tasty 4k - and hopefully 12bit instead of 10.

The mistake of the GH5s wasn’t that it didn’t have IBIS, it’s that everyone expected it to have it... so the naming of the camera should have been different. 

With the BMPCC II, nobody would ever expect it. Plus the IQ of the GH5s vs the BMPCCii should be in two entirely different leagues. Not that the GH5s is bad, but it’s definitely for a different user.

I really can't see how this camera will disturb the Lumix shooters. Apart from all the good stuff which BM is known for (such as colour science, colour science and maybe colour science too), the lowlight performance is expected to be worse than GH5 and the crop factor is a deal breaker for many shooters. You can't go wide enough with a 1 inch sensor, nor handheld. CFast cards are expensive too and the majority of GH5 users are still bitching for the terrible autofocus performance, oh wait to see this baby :) Don't get me wrong, i believe this will be a monster tool for many of us, but it won't be GH5's Nemesis in any case. A better cinema camera? Yeah why not. But don't expect to see this used in weddings & documentaries. 

1 minute ago, Dimitris Stasinos said:

I really can't see how this camera will disturb the Lumix shooters. 

The price will intimidate many GH users. A large chunk of them like to think that their camera is the very best: anything more expensive is stupid overkill and anything equal or less is garbage. This price bracket seems to be where the most fragile egos exist.