Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Yurolov

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 minutes ago, Ed Andrews said:

Thanks! That's rather exciting. I had decided to get an EVA1 but that combined with BMPCC 4k could be far more magical!

Why not EVA1 with such a recorder? Finally a good and not too big 5" screen with 4k60fps 10 bit recording capabilities.

46 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Yup, at that point a GH5S starts to become more compelling

The image source says otherwise. 

It depends on the users. This camera will probably blow the GH5S, A7S II right out of the water. Actually the original pocket already did that.

But I guess if you need high iso, IBIS and all those things, I guess a GH5S would be better. But I don't need that. I use lights, and stabilization tools which are far superior. I feel like 90% of this community is for event, party shooters and not for commercials, or filmmaking.

8 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

It depends on the users. This camera will probably blow the GH5S, A7S II right out of the water. Actually the original pocket already did that.

But I guess if you need high iso, IBIS and all those things, I guess a GH5S would be better. But I don't need that. I use lights, and stabilization tools which are far superior. I feel like 90% of this community is for event, party shooters and not for commercials, or filmmaking.

I'm with you on this. Actually a better screen is all I really need.

10 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

GH5s doesn’t have IBIS

We did a 20k promo using gh5/Gh5s, the 10bit really makes a difference, when we tried same setting on 8bit in resolve it just turn to banding/noise clustfuck 

4 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Depends on the users is right. I wanted to love the original BMPCC desperately. I bought and sold it 3 separate times because it kept drawing me back. The image is beautiful, but the horrible audio preamps and battery life, poor screen, and overall ergonomics trumped the amazing IQ for me. The GH5s is exactly the kind of camera that suits me best: an all-in-one unit that gets out of my way when I shoot. And it has excellent IQ to boot. If the new BMPCC can come close to that level of usability, then it will get my attention.

@Andrew Reid - thanks for the article. 

I'm with you that technology has changed a lot since the last Pocket.

However the main reason I liked the original Pocket was down to the charm, the mojo, the classic look - 99% of cameras with IBIS, great low light, HFR are still being beat by the original Pocket in this regard. 

Also you have to remember that this camera is for cinematic application, and is designed to be used as such. Not really the type of camera to run and gun with in a cave lit only by glow flies! 

As an affordable, S16, cinematic device - everything to me sounds good so far.

Bit concerned about this external stuff though and hope it's perfectly manageable in the hands. 

28 minutes ago, johnnyd said:

I don't mind the looks either and the grip looks pretty comfortable.

Keep in mind that it could be that 4k 60p raw is external only and 4k raw up to 30p might still be internal. If there is no internal raw at all it would be weird considering all other BM cameras have it and are kind of known for it in a way.

Yeah I just looked at the post 43rumors and that’s how I read it too. Of course, I would mostly shoot ProRes anyway, so I’d be more than happy with internal ProRes Raw, up to 60p (crossing fingers)

1 minute ago, anonim said:

I'd just say: don't underestimate good ibis - you can accomplish fast documentary interview with many changing angle simply handheld (and GH5lock mode) :) You can penetrate to the forbidden places and still shot comfortably and... feel yourself as Indiana Jones...

+1

IBIS is an excellent tool when it's needed. It's one of those features that's radically changed the game.

15 minutes ago, MurtlandPhoto said:

+1

IBIS is an excellent tool when it's needed. It's one of those features that's radically changed the game.

IBIS just isn't a pro video feature. Blackmagic's brand is all about uncompromised image quality. I would agree that the Pocket is the one BM camera targeted toward the masses, but they won't stray far from their brand.

2 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

IBIS just isn't a pro video feature. Blackmagic's brand is all about uncompromised image quality. I would agree that the Pocket is the one BM camera targeted toward the masses, but they won't stray far from their brand.

Oh I completely agree. It doesn't belong in the Pocket cam.  I'm just saying that for certain applications it's very useful. More of a comment on the industry overall :) 

5 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

At the end of a (successful shooting) day, every adding instrument and feature becomes "pro". So IBIS, I'd say, just is a pro feature - problem is in dependency of history of using and in open mind. I'd also say: don't relay on old prejudices...

Yeah, if you didn’t like the first Pocket cam, you probably won’t like the Pocket II. 

If you’re hoping for 3200 ISO or IBIS, then this camera probably won’t be for you. You also have to remember that storage isn’t that great on these cameras either... on the original Pocket, if my memory serves me, you get about 20 minutes of ProResHQ on a 64GB card. So that will be a deal breaker for a lot of people as well.

But it seems like the Pocket II will be more user friendly out of the box compared to the original (even though I used it handheld with an OIS Panny lens)