Magic Lantern - RAW and Anamorphic

Tito Ferradans

I'm pretty sure everyone here has already read something about today's achievements from the MagicLantern team. Finally, RAW recording, non-stop on fast cards.

By what I managed to understand from the code and comments, we CAN use only a portion of the sensor (specific sizes), which is amazing for us anamorphic shooters, isn't it? a1ex's post below explains more clearly what can be done:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5247.msg34126#msg34126

With this, we can record 1440x1080px frames, with 2x stretch, and get perfect cinemascope, right?

The sizes can be custom set. :)

I'm still trying to make the compiling part work - having a lot of trouble with this - but as soon as it's good, I'll post updates and samples.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

http://nofilmschool.com/2013/05/1080p-raw-video-canon-5d-mark-iii-anamorphic/

dammit. When I started to write this post, this article wasn't published! (and in the middle of writing I stopped to watch a movie with my girlfriend. hahaha)

well, at least you can see it's my question featured. AHAHAHA!

With this, we can record 1440x1080px frames, with 2x stretch, and get perfect cinemascope, right?

The sizes can be custom set. :)

Andrews test video is in 1920x1280 (3:2), so 1707x1280 (4:3) would be nice! That would make 3414x1280 with a 2x stretch. Pretty sure it will scale up nicely to 4K.

This is an interesting development.  One can argue that the Canon engineers pretty much knew that the camera was capable of 24p with the higher (1000x) cards, as it's not like the flash memory manufacturers aren't testing their products with all of the various camera companies prior to their release.  The 1000x cards have been out for a year and a half now, so it's safe to say that Canon engineers knew full well that the MKIII was capable of RAW recording using (the fastest) CF cards.

That said, RAW video isn't something Canon has dabbled in extensively at that prosumer level and price point.  So even though the feature was obviously workable, it may not have been guaranteed/developed in time for the camera's release.  Canon can't deliver a camera worldwide and advertise such an important feature and have it cause their cameras to crash/overheat because they didn't have time to test it out.

As for this news trouncing BMCC/BMPC/BMCC4K?  Meh.  The hack, I'm certain, is welcome for those that already own the camera, but really, unless you already own a ton of Canon glass, the MKIII isn't a "must buy" now that it has 1080p RAW via a hacked firmware update.  The BMPC camera pretty much equals the apparent quality of new haxored MKIII at three times less the price.  Granted you don't get full frame, but if you really need FF, then feel free to pay three times the price.  It IS a bargain if you need FF-RAW.

Regardless, this is good news.  Hopefully Canon will embrace this, and release their own firmware update instead of trying to pretend the same people that can afford the MKIII are the same people that can afford their c100/c300 pro line.  The CF card costs are actually reasonable if you're getting RAW FF for the price of a really good CF card.  Another good plus of getting a 1000x card is that they dump to storage -really- fast.

Now all Magic Lantern has to do to REALLY shake things up is offer 1080p RAW on the T4i/T5i. :)

Check out Lorenco's post here for a compiled BIN halfway down the page:  http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5247.300

I too would like to get this to work.  But my CF card is too slow and I get dropped frames.  But the other problem is what lenses with my anamorphics?  I wish I kept a bunch of my old Nikon F lenses with 52mm fronts.  Would have fit my Sankor better than my L lenses...

Andrews test video is in 1920x1280 (3:2), so 1707x1280 (4:3) would be nice! That would make 3414x1280 with a 2x stretch. Pretty sure it will scale up nicely to 4K.

It becomes EVEN MORE easily scalable since each frame has 240DPI resolution, while a regular RGB frame has only 72DPI. With this "extra" resolution, you can increase the image size without considerable loss of quality. :P

As soon as I get this compiler working again, I'll write a RAW module with anamorphic options for both 1280 and 720 height, and various lenses (2x, 1.5x and 1.33x).

DPI doesn't have any meaning with digital files. That is a (common) misunderstanding. The DPI only has meaning when you print, since it defines the amount of dots per inch. If you open a random file in Photoshop, go to Image Size and desable resampling. You can make a 100x100 pixel image with 3000 dpi, but it will still have 100x100 pixels. The DPI just changes the size of the print.

DPI doesn't have any meaning with digital files. That is a (common) misunderstanding. The DPI only has meaning when you print, since it defines the amount of dots per inch. If you open a random file in Photoshop, go to Image Size and desable resampling. You can make a 100x100 pixel image with 3000 dpi, but it will still have 100x100 pixels. The DPI just changes the size of the print.

damn. :(

thanks for the explanation!

anyway, scaling up the raw files still holds up great. hahaha

ps - at least, it might be useful if you want to print your frames for something! hahahah

No worries, raw will scale a lot better than the h264 anyway :)

ps - it's not going to make prints any better either ;) dpi just tells the printer how many pixels to print on each inch - so it defines the size of the print. The higher the dpi, the more pixels per inch, but if you only have a few pixels, the print is going to be small.

• 3 months later...

I have a 5D Mark III with the July 17 build, and being able to shoot at different aspect ratios is pretty nifty for anamorphic lenses (I know that I am late to the party on this). The one thing that I am having trouble with is HDMI monitoring. Every time that I have tried to do this the image freezes on my monitor.

Has anyone been able to successfully plug an HDMI monitor in for anamorphic monitoring? Is there a "sweet spot" resolution that frees up enough system resources to make this possible?

I'm able to shoot 1920x1080 with the Zacuto EVF attached to the 5D3.

I wonder what I am doing wrong. I seem to remember that Andrew's Raw Shooting Guide suggests that using the regular Canon menu and setting it to 640x480 30fps, but that seemed like it would conflict with the ML software. Maybe I need to do that.

This is wishful thinking, but with the current build is there a way to get a true 2x stretch either on the LCD or output via HDMI?

I have a 5D Mark III with the July 17 build, and being able to shoot at different aspect ratios is pretty nifty for anamorphic lenses (I know that I am late to the party on this). The one thing that I am having trouble with is HDMI monitoring. Every time that I have tried to do this the image freezes on my monitor.

Has anyone been able to successfully plug an HDMI monitor in for anamorphic monitoring? Is there a "sweet spot" resolution that frees up enough system resources to make this possible?

I can do HDMI with 1920x1080, but not with 1920x1280.  I can't even record, it just ends with 40 something frames only.  HACKED mode is worse, I get totally corrupted frames.  I haven't tried any other resolutions, but I think anything over 1080 just doesn't work.

I've also tried to change the display on my SmallHD to stretch the image but the output on HDMI is already small.  I wish Canon would just output the feed like the GH2/3.  It's so easy to do anamorphic on those cameras.

I can get the 2x stretch directly in the camera LCD, but it uses too much processing power and recording stops after just a few frames.

My build is a bit older, I think August 04, or something like this.

the Dual Iso build doesn't have the option for Anamorphic preview directly in the LCD.

The HDMI stretch is done through Zacuto's menus, if I enable the stretch in-camera, and the connect the EVF, it just looks normal, un-stretched.

I can get continuous recording at 1920x1152, but not 1280p. And HACKED mode works for me too. Am I just lucky?

I can get the 2x stretch directly in the camera LCD, but it uses too much processing power and recording stops after just a few frames.

My build is a bit older, I think August 04, or something like this.

the Dual Iso build doesn't have the option for Anamorphic preview directly in the LCD.

The HDMI stretch is done through Zacuto's menus, if I enable the stretch in-camera, and the connect the EVF, it just looks normal, un-stretched.

I can get continuous recording at 1920x1152, but not 1280p. And HACKED mode works for me too. Am I just lucky?

I use the stretch in the SmallHD DP6 too.  But the Canon output is just too small and I can't frame things well.  But the killer is that it doesn't work for 1920x1280 output.  I get continuous recording at 1920x1280 with my KomputerBay 64GB 1000x cards, about 104MB/s.  Of course I had to return 5 of them to even get a working card.  I swear I'm so over KomputerBay it's ridiculous...

Okay, I think that I have it working. Pulling up the ML menu seems to freeze the image. Sometimes it becomes unfrozen right away, and sometimes it takes a little while.

One thing I have learned by experimenting with the 5x zoom/crop feature (hoping that it would allow me to use a shorter taking lens) is that it's really not that great for anamorphic with a focusing anamorphic like I had hoped. Every microbe of dust was visible as I changed focus. Usually I am focusing past most of that. Oh well. It is still a useful feature.

I have been using ML on my 5DM2 for a while now. I primarily use it with a helios 44-2 58mm and a Kowa 16H. It has been very stable and reliable for me.

My results so far all at 24P, with a 2x stretch, FYI max vertical resolution in 5x crop mode is 1076 on the MKII.

1472x1076 (2944x1076): Continuous recording, can fill the card,this is the 4/3 max resolution in 5x crop mode. 

1600x1200 (3200x1200): ~35 seconds before it stops.

1728x1250 (3456x1250): ~12 seconds before it stops.

Also the helios and Kowa do not vignette at all on my FF even at full HD, non raw shooting, its just barely completely out of frame. The two of them flare nicely together, once I get my act together I will try to post some samples. It took me a while to get things worked out my Kowa wouldn't focus wide open. Turns out it was an easy fix just the front and rear glass ever so slightly out of alignment.

Edit: It does in fact vignette at 1600x1200, I was shooting wide open so I didn't notice.