NAB 2018

Emanuel

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Errrr... they're over  hundred grand per set?

Hahaha. I thought he didn't mention prices.

Btw he sold them as lenses that outresolve Everything Ever Made. Like 16k resolution. So in some ways he may want them on more than just filmmaking cameras (Hasselblads?)

Actually I skipped some portions of the interview, cause he spoke so slowly, like some election speech. And I had already downed a few, so my patience was thin.

Maybe I watch the interview again.  

6 hours ago, Emanuel said:

They forgot to mention the FS5mkII 

Except Black Magic, Atomos V and EZ, nothing much, really.. Where were all the big traditional names? Even JVC doesn't produce anything as of late. The LS300 was a good first try on the budget domain. Not much in sound either, DJI showed another Ronin S prototype. hm..

4 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Not much in sound....  are we talking about not the same NAB?

I feel like maybe we were watching different ones 

The slightly better F8, a firmware update from SD and a new mic from Rode do you mean? I am not sure how many here are interested in those two, I am not, and maybe the others care can be number in my left hand's fingers.

On 4/17/2018 at 1:01 AM, Kisaha said:

The slightly better F8, a firmware update from SD and a new mic from Rode do you mean? I am not sure how many here are interested in those two, I am not, and maybe the others care can be number in my left hand's fingers.

Enough is unknown it might be more than just a "slightly" better F8. 
And the new Rode mic is groundbreaking as the cheapest ambisonic mic ever!

10 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Enough is unknown it might be more than just a "slightly" better F8. 
And the new Rode mic is groundbreaking as the cheapest ambisonic mic ever!

Which again is unknown, we don't even know the pricing and contents (of the box) exactly and we can't even use or test, or anyone else, and ambisonic mics aren't a big market yet - especially in video, most 360/Vr consumer footage is from small "action" cams which will cost half, or 1/3 of the price of the Rode, and anyone having a proper rig of cameras definitely will spend the maximum amount of money for the right sound (probably will use a lot of Schoeps mics, or something from DPA or Sound Field itself). 

As of the F8N, or whatever its called, the official announcement talks about minor improvements that 1) people owing the previous version most probably won't upgrade, 2) people set their hearts - and money, on the MixPre series, definitely will not change their minds.

When the F series announcement, it was a major thing for the industry, mixpres as well, even Rode wireless system was huge back then, for the quality vs price ratio and did things unheard for the price range (and still does), I didn't see any major/groundbreaking/revolutionary, or great announcement here. A top recorder (with middle price) from Tascam, a mini ambisonic Sennheiser mic as small as to put on a GoPro type camera, a "cheaper" Sonosax?  The new 633? Something! Ok, the Rode ambisonic, that is good, but that's it.

That is my sense anyway!

16 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Which again is unknown, we don't even know the pricing and contents (of the box) exactly and we can't even use or test

We do know the price: US$1200, that is significantly cheaper than the MixPre10T. 

I feel the current F8 is already a keen competitive alternative to the MixPre10T, so if the F8n gets the existing announced improvements plus a handful more then that is enough to make the choice clear cut for an F8n over a MixPre10T. (only because I already find myself hitting the channel limit of 6 inputs of my F4 on a regular basic, and I reckon a 688 is out of the question for me in the next 12 months)

even Rode wireless system was huge back then,

I regret buying my RodeLink Filmmakers Kit. Wasn't worth the small savings over just getting Sony UWP-D11 from the start. 

Have ranted at length before about RodeLinks, and today I'll add another reason:

• Reason #98 why I don't like RodeLinks: rf spill from them was so bad it interfered with my Sanken CUB-01! (vs my Sony UWP-D11 transmitters had to be almost touching the CUB before I'd notice anything near similar)

That is my sense anyway!

Fair enough, for you it wasn't that significant. And I agree, it could have been bigger! But there was still enough at NAB to make me excited! :-D

50 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

We do know the price: US$1200, that is significantly cheaper than the MixPre10T. 

I feel the current F8 is already a keen competitive alternative to the MixPre10T, so if the F8n gets the existing announced improvements plus a handful more then that is enough to make the choice clear cut for an F8n over a MixPre10T. (only because I already find myself hitting the channel limit of 6 inputs of my F4 on a regular basic, and I reckon a 688 is out of the question for me in the next 12 months)

I regret buying my RodeLink Filmmakers Kit. Wasn't worth the small savings over just getting Sony UWP-D11 from the start. 

Have ranted at length before about RodeLinks, and today I'll add another reason:

• Reason #98 why I don't like RodeLinks: rf spill from them was so bad it interfered with my Sanken CUB-01! (vs my Sony UWP-D11 transmitters had to be almost touching the CUB before I'd notice anything near similar)

Fair enough, for you it wasn't that significant. And I agree, it could have been bigger! But there was still enough at NAB to make me excited! :-D

I get your reasoning and everything, and the F series, honestly, seems more pro orientated, but I am sure a lot of people will pay the SD premium, and those analog circuits, but in the end, is all about choices, and these 2 series are the best low budget ones in business for sure. I am looking to upgrade a bit from the Tascams I use, and certainly the F4 is not out of the question (keeping the DR680 for when I need more ch, and the DR100 for when I have 1 or 2 sources, the pre amps are vastly better than the older generation of Tascam/Zooms) as it is very easily "reachable", as the MixPre 6 cost 2800NZD (!) here, and the 10T is not available, while the Zoom F4 is readily available and have similar price with the rest of Europe. I am waiting to see the market to stabilize a bit, and I still believe Tascam must be working on something, there is no way they are selling a lot of anything, with the F/MixPre series around.

As of the RodeLink, it was short of a revolution back then, and the pricing..oh my! For most cameramen, it is all they need, and it cost 1/3 of the AVX price, which is the other full digital wireless kit. For us, pro soundmen, it was too big, and rough around the edges, but still a lot of people got them, and played a significant role in the history of wireless microphones (like the G3 a generation before that).

Honestly, we need top spec wireless, but if you do not work full time, all the time, on big productions, it is difficult to excuse 3-5.000$ per channel for a wireless kit. If you want 5, do you spend 15-20.000$? It was hard for me to buy a series of Sony hybrids, for a total price (including VAT) of 3200euros (5000NZD? something like this).

I didn't follow the NAB closely because I was island-working (always more things to do on an island, and difficult to go by ship and all the equipment, so extra effort to spend), so maybe I just didn't pay much attention! But I hear you, always!

35 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

and the DR100 for when I have 1 or 2 sources, the pre amps are vastly better than the older generation of Tascam/Zooms

Interesting, which DR100 is this? (as there have been a few)

Have you compared it against a DR60Dmk2/DR70D?

2 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Interesting, which DR100 is this? (as there have been a few)

Have you compared it against a DR60Dmk2/DR70D?

DR100mkII, and I have 2 of its batteries, so I can go for 2 full working days with those 2 batteries and 4 Eneloop (the white ones, not the black). I don't remember what DR60 was back then when I bought the 100mkII, but the 100 it was clearly far superior in everything (including built quality). I believe (I am 99% sure) the 60D and 70D had the same circuitry, while the DR100mkII a better one, and that was pretty obvious in pricing too, as I bought it for 499euros (it is 320euros right now) back then, while the others cost half, or something.

Also, Independent left/right adjustable large rotary input volume knob, unlike the digital +/- of the era (yep, when everyone got a terrible zoom with hiss-y pre amps, terrible phone pre amplifiers and digital steps to set the input). Very useful when I was booming one hand in documentaries (I was doing a lot of music ones, which were very demanding and had to act swift).

Nowdays, I wouldn't pay easily 410 for the new one, with some plus and minuses from the older model, but it was perfect for 5 seasons on TV, and unlimited other applications through the years (bought in 2012).

Tascam Dr-100 mkii Low Cutoff Filter values are 40, 80, 120 Hz (others started from 100Hz or up, back then) and I know a few people using the stereo mics at the top (the omnis based on the body are almost unusable).